• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Addressing an officer of unknown rank

bluedevil1027

What is the most respectful way to adress a military officer when you are not sure of his/her rank? Most of the time you can use sir/ma'am (Good afternoon, sir, I'm calling about...) but there are times when that doesn't work, like when you need to talk about a specific person (I just got off the phone with Sr. Cheif Donald and he told me to... or ...Is Sr. Cheif Donald in his office?). I don't think using "Mr." is very appropriate when talking about an Officer and I've found myself in this situation multiple times.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
You couldn't be more wrong.
Sir and Ma'am are always appropriate...
It is also appropriate to call Officers Mr. Smith or Miss. Jones. Ect.
Only use rank when you are sure that you got it right.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
but there are times when that doesn't work, like when you need to talk about a specific person (I just got off the phone with Sr. Cheif Donald and he told me to... or ...Is Sr. Cheif Donald in his office?).

Not sure what you mean by these examples.

"Sir, I just got off the phone with Senior Chief Donald and he told me to..."

"Sir, is Senior Chief Donald in his office?"

Both seem to work for me.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Ah, that'll help me lots, actually. I'm stuck in a quasi-military, partial OCS status and am unsure how to address people I'm dealing with on base. I guess sir/ma'am works all the time?

bluedevil1027

I was always taught that someone with a Dr. level degree was kind of ticked off when he was called "Mr." by somebody who knew that he/she was a Dr... I thought maybe officers might be the same way when you are talking to them in uniform or something.

It just didn't seem right to me to say "Mr.___" , but if you say they are not as picky as doctors, I believe you. I always try to word my sentences where it sounds best to say sir or ma'am

Thank you, sir, for the timely reply.

bluedevil1027

Not sure what you mean by these examples.

"Sir, I just got off the phone with Senior Chief Donald and he told me to..."

"Sir, is Senior Chief Donald in his office?"

Both seem to work for me.

I was talking about not knowing the rank of the Sr. Cheif...

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Yeah, Navy enlisted ranks confuse me. OCS was pretty easy (provided you could read the microscopic, subdued, black enlisted rank insignia on dark digi cammies.) Marine enlisted rank structure is almost linear. But the Navy one has all these weird rates I've not seen. I suppose I should bust out the ol' regs...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

Well, if you've spoken to them on the phone, they should answer with thier rank and name...also, before you hang up, there's nothing wrong with verifiying the person's rank/name.

Also, if you know their title, it's perfectly acceptable to say: "May I speak to an OSO?" or "Is the OPO available?"

Good luck!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mister works for O4 and below. CDR and above are Sir/Ma'am or rank.

snake020

Contributor
You should never get any flak for using Sir/Ma'am (except from the Army because they are strange), and if you are not sure about specific rank nobody should chew you out simply for asking.

thenuge

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

That is his rank. Senior........Chief... or "Senior" if your on a casual basis with him.
If you call an enlisted "Sir", you may get the obligatory, "I work for a livin'."

bluedevil1027

That is his rank. Senior........Chief... or "Senior" if your on a casual basis with him.
If you call an enlisted "Sir", you may get the obligatory, "I work for a livin'."

I know that is his rank. But IF I didn't know he was Sr Cheif is the question...

I spoke with a somebody on the phone and he didn't tell me his rank after we were through (Turned out to be a Petty Officer).

robav8r

None
Contributor
Sir or Ma'am is fine initially. However, while standing OOD (in-port) on the carrier, you come across this situation frequently. I have found that asking "how may/should I address or announce you" works well and shows your concern for proper protocol.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I know that is his rank. But IF I didn't know he was Sr Cheif is the question...

I spoke with a somebody on the phone and he didn't tell me his rank after we were through (Turned out to be a Petty Officer).

If someone doesn't tell you who they are when you are talking on the phone, it is perfectly acceptable to ask him/her what their name is...they should then include their rank...

This response is not very common anymore, at least in my experience. Most senior enlisted have enough sense to understand that is a response they might give to an E2 or maybe an E3 but is not appropriate for someone in the process of becoming an officer. Anyway, they understand that such mistakes are going to happen and to have patience while you learn...

Actually I can only think of ever hearing that response from a retired Marine Gunny who was doing contract work at Whiting...

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yeah, Navy enlisted ranks confuse me. OCS was pretty easy (provided you could read the microscopic, subdued, black enlisted rank insignia on dark digi cammies.) Marine enlisted rank structure is almost linear. But the Navy one has all these weird rates I've not seen. I suppose I should bust out the ol' regs...

The Navy is easy. Three seaman rates, three petty officer rates, and 3 chief rates; and each rate has easy to recognize appearances. Stripes = seaman, crows = petty officers, anchors = chiefs. From there it's recruit, apprentice, full seaman; Third, second, First; Chief, Senior, Master. A real right brained system.

Nothing is stranger than the Airforce's enlisted ranks. As if memorizing the oddly named ranks isn't bad enough, you have to count those tiny thin strips on their sleeves while remembering what the sequences mean. I gave up trying.