• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN AD to SELRES Transition

nodropinufaka

I disagree. I see foreign language as essential. You may not necessarily use it in the meeting, but just turning on the tv in your hotel, or walking past the news stand on your way to the meeting, it’s important to have the context of the society. “Our man in Oslo” type stuff. It’s kind of hard to be an expert on a foreign culture if you don’t speak the language at a basic level (2/2/2).

Also, there’s enough FAO specific training that they don’t have a ton of time/funding to do language training, on top of FAO training, on top of whatever training was for your first designator. Plenty of Os are native bilingual in something already - it makes fiscal sense to leverage that for free rather than add a year to the FAO training timeline to send people (O4s) to Monterrey for a year + BAH.

And as for the defense sec cooperation stuff not needing a FAO to be alone and unafraid, well, maybe those are the just jobs they give baby FAOs/ nugget FAOs. I don’t know. ALUSNA is an important job, though.

Looks like you are confusing some things. If you aren't I apologize for the explanation.

The link you posted about ALUSNA and SDO/DATT is a different pipeline then FAOs. FAOs can be SDO/DATT but so can any URL or RL designator accepted into the Defense Attaché Pipeline.

You don't necessarily have to be a FAO to be in the Defense Attaché Program. DAOs do no have language requirements like FAOs do. Which is why it makes even less sense to me to make it requirement.

So why make Foreign Area Officers have the requirement but the larger encompassing program of Defense Attaches not have it?

No doubt knowing culture and language is important but you would likely pick it up living in the country. No reason to send someone to learn it at DLI and make it a requirement.

nodropinufaka

Have you thought of applying anyway? I have some friends who were picked up as reservists and they got ADT orders to DLI and then overseas deployment at the Fleet level.
Interesting. No I have not thought about it. But now I am.

In the reserves i have made it quite far with the mentality "never know unless you ask" and got all sorts of good schools and orders. So thanks for the heads up to look into it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Aren’t there some pretty good master’s degree programs from JSOC/SOCOM, too?

I have heard rumors but would like to learn more.

nodropinufaka

or could I actually use this to get in on some of those said opportunities overseas?

Yes.

To work with a country team you will need at the minimum Security Cooperation Course. Most of the class with be SCOs on their way to their first assignment. That one teaches you all about embassy structures, authorities like 333, 284, and others, IMET, and you go over the security cooperation documents.

Following that is the interagency seminar and further training.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So why make Foreign Area Officers have the requirement but the larger encompassing program of Defense Attaches not have it?

No doubt knowing culture and language is important but you would likely pick it up living in the country. No reason to send someone to learn it at DLI and make it a requirement.

Having just lived in a foreign country for two years after having taken the language at DLI (not a FAO), I disagree. While being in country absolutely helps your language comprehension and cultural awareness, showing up without a firm foundation in that language is a recipe for failure, especially if you’re expecting to learn the language while working a full-time job. It’s absolutely true that not every FAO posting requires language proficiency, but for those that do, you definitely want a baseline understanding beforehand.

I’m certainly not questioning your professional experience or the anecdotes you’ve heard from the FAOs you’ve worked with, but it is the exact opposite of what I’ve heard from the FAOs that went through DLI with me. For example, one is currently an instructor at the German Naval Academy, where he works entirely in German. Incidentally, he is actually going back to DLI prior to his next tour on the DCO staff at the Bulgarian embassy to learn Bulgarian.

An FAO (if stationed overseas) can be just that much better at their job (if it involves working directly with foreigners) if they are comfortable in the language of that country.

nodropinufaka

It can help for sure. No doubt it can only be beneficial to understand the language and local culture.

But If SDO/DATT who holds a larger footprint in embassies then FAOs don’t require it then I see no reason for FAOs to have it as a requirement.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aren’t there some pretty good master’s degree programs from JSOC/SOCOM, too?

I have heard rumors but would like to learn more.
COCOMs and sub-unified commands don't offer masters degrees. They may have programs whereby they send their permanent party personnel to certain institutions, but those would be SOCOM-specific and aligned with the needs of the NSW community or the people who support them. Masters degrees in DOD come from the normal service colleges, or from accredited civilian institutions. There is no SOCOM MS in Secret Squirreliness, nor is there an MA in Culinary Herpetology.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If any of you are not yet O4's I would highly recommend focusing on what's in the community brief to be competitive. Especially the 1835's: your communities' promotion rates to O4 are horrid.

A couple questions:
  • Can your “proven skill in ____” be from civilian skills, or does it have to be DoD/Navy? (i.e. does it have to be an official NOBC, AQD, or FITREP bullet that is captured somewhere in your record)
  • Why is “critical language skills” still showing up here? Especially for O4s. smh
  • What happens to “Completion of IA tour” if CNRFC is saying “no more IA tours”? Or, is that memo just aimed at communities other than Intel?
  • I don’t know what JQ2 or IWOIC are but I’ll go look them up when I get a chance.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Can your “proven skill in ____” be from civilian skills, or does it have to be DoD/Navy? (i.e. does it have to be an official NOBC, AQD, or FITREP bullet that is captured somewhere in your record)
The promotion board cares about your Navy experience. And the proven skill can be in the form of an AQD/NOBC or FITREPs with appropriate langauge.

Why is “critical language skills” still showing up here? Especially for O4s. smh
Not a clue. It's a freaking joke.

What happens to “Completion of IA tour” if CNRFC is saying “no more IA tours”? Or, is that memo just aimed at communities other than Intel?
Again, not a clue.

I don’t know what JQ2 or IWOIC are but I’ll go look them up when I get a chance.
AQD and NOBC info is here. JQ2 is Joint Qualified Level II. Good luck with Joint Qualification.

IWOIC is Information Warfare Officer Intermediate Course (IWOIC). Any NAVIFOR O3/O4 can apply to attend this active duty course via CNRFC N7. There are limited seats for Reservists and CNRFC N7 fields the applications, via your NAVIFOR region. I was accepted to attend the course, but my former CO (who was subsequently removed from command) would not approve my orders to attend even though it was CNRFC N7 funded. If you can get a slot, take it. Not many people focus on this and they should.