• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN AD to SELRES Transition

Just dropped my letter to give it a go in the civilian world and am considering the mysterious USNR (SELRES, not FTS). My main reason for resigning is general family/life stability (i.e. looking to live a fairly normal life with the wife and kids close to extended family). Anyone have any info about what to expect in SELRES as a big-wing NFO (O3) or advice related to transitioning AD to SELRES? Frequency/length/locations of mobilizations under normal circumstances (i.e. likelihood of getting sent to the sand box for a year while trying to start a new career)? How do promotions work (i.e. is the "golden path" the same)? General command climate/quality of life? Most of what I've been able to find online has been related to E's and while I realize some of it is applicable (i.e. retirement, tricare, etc.) there is very little info available on the O side of the house, especially in aviation. Thanks in advance for any info!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You will receive a 2 year mobilization deferment after which you are open to mobilization. I am sure @chrispaul will fill you in.

This is the demand signal as of FY19.

Here are the current restricted communities of which CNAFR is one.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Jumping to SELRES is a choose your own adventure. Going to a squadron (VP-62/69/VUP) will be very different than the run of the mill reservist off doing navy reservey things. I'm in a SAU, so I'm not really smart on the other stuff available. I do know the NOSC sucks and should be avoided at all costs from my three drill weekends there before I got into a squadron.

62 and 69 do deployments, but they try to rotate reservists through unless someone wants the whole enchilada of the deployment. The hardware path is more like active duty-light. The CTO probably won't know much about it, either, so you'll have to be the one knocking on digital doors and keeping ahead of selection boards.

Most of the flying reservists are fenced from MOBs right now. That could change, but the last time they did that a bunch of fine Americans fell on their swords and bounced. It did not work out the way the man thought it would. Don't forget, that two year deferment means on day 731, you could be on the ground on your mob. Back that out 6-12 months and you could be getting notified of a MOB 12-18 months after you started career 2.0. Fun times.

Don't forget that there are guard units out there for backseaters. Shake those branches, too. Good luck. I enjoy the reserves for keeping one toe in the pond and hanging out with the same bros I used to fly with when we were younger, dumber, and less handsome. I don't enjoy the admin, which is both dumber, more byzantine and somehow less effective than it was on the active side. I didn't think that was possible but it definitely is.

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
gators closest to the boat:

0) Reserve vocabulary is wholly different than active vocabulary, so ask if you're unfamiliar with a term

1) your CTO will likely do a bad job. don't let them off the hook - ask for things and get dates on when they'll deliver them (oath of office, etc. etc.)

2a) you can likely prevent mob by affiliating with CNAFR units (MTOC, for example) - if you affiliate with standard units you are highly likely to mob as a 1325 with a TS.***

2b) geography plays a role - find the NOSC nearest you and see what units are there. socialize them with people you know in the reserves to see if they're good or not (and if they align with your plans)

2a) if local NOSC doesn't have promising units, look at units in/near large cities' NOSCs - or ask here - to see what cross-assigned opportunities

3) Promotion to O-4 is automatic, O-5 is well within reach if you want it, O-6 requires at least one successful command tour

*** New CNR direction states "no more non-Navy MOBs" by 2022, so you could be off the hook with a 2 year deferral...

gators closest to the boat:

0) Reserve vocabulary is wholly different than active vocabulary, so ask if you're unfamiliar with a term

1) your CTO will likely do a bad job. don't let them off the hook - ask for things and get dates on when they'll deliver them (oath of office, etc. etc.)

2a) you can likely prevent mob by affiliating with CNAFR units (MTOC, for example) - if you affiliate with standard units you are highly likely to mob as a 1325 with a TS.***

2b) geography plays a role - find the NOSC nearest you and see what units are there. socialize them with people you know in the reserves to see if they're good or not (and if they align with your plans)

2a) if local NOSC doesn't have promising units, look at units in/near large cities' NOSCs - or ask here - to see what cross-assigned opportunities

3) Promotion to O-4 is automatic, O-5 is well within reach if you want it, O-6 requires at least one successful command tour

*** New CNR direction states "no more non-Navy MOBs" by 2022, so you could be off the hook with a 2 year deferral...
Thanks for the info. So for CNAFR, MTOC, etc. what is the difference from NOSCs or standard units? Is associating with one as simple as telling your CTO that is what you want to affiliate with? If you affiliate with one is it likely that you will just get transferred to one of the others once your orders are up or will you have some say? Also, what is the service commitment with SELRES contracts (i.e. if something happens with civilian life and you no longer have the time to commit to the reserves, at what point can you separate assuming you aren't in the middle of a mobilization/deployment)?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Thanks for the info. So for CNAFR, MTOC, etc. what is the difference from NOSCs or standard units? Is associating with one as simple as telling your CTO that is what you want to affiliate with? If you affiliate with one is it likely that you will just get transferred to one of the others once your orders are up or will you have some say? Also, what is the service commitment with SELRES contracts (i.e. if something happens with civilian life and you no longer have the time to commit to the reserves, at what point can you separate assuming you aren't in the middle of a mobilization/deployment)?
NOSCs are best thought of as units devoted to admin support of the operational units under their purview (in theory).

Best bet to get with a CNAFR unit is to apply to only those types of units on JOAPPLY.

Orders are for 3 years, but you can apply to stay in the same unit/billet for another 3 year stretch.

Commitment (if you take the bonus) is 3 years. If no bonus, you can resign at any time. That being said, there are options besides resigning, such as the VTU.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That being said, there are options besides resigning, such as the VTU.
I encourage anyone thinking of resigning to go VTU, especially if you are an O4.

Remember, you can stay in the Reserve as an O4 until you hit 20 years of commissioned service and as an O5 until you hit 28 years of commissioned service.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@bubblehead your screenshot prompted me to go look up the FY21 O4 Reserve Line statistics... which do not bode well for 1835 ?

P.S. What the heck is designator 1945, which appears to be URL? Never seen that one before.