• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Active shooter at NAS Pensacola

Ricosroughnecks7

The US are not the only ones doing a poor job at this.
South Korea - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/south_korea_national_identity_system_hacked/
India - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/india-aadhuar-tech-companies_n_5b7ebc53e4b0729515109fd0

The best solution IMO is to kick the can down the curb and take a play from China's strategy for once. If other countries are having this same problem, then the US should wait and see what solutions work best for them and which ones do not, then replicate and improve upon it. This technical ethical issue will not be solved overnight. The consistent problem that the US has is that it has been first to innovate a lot of ideas but slow to implement them, and then bad actors use these great ideas against us making some of them almost entirely obsolete.

Also, an enhanced bug bounty program could help solve this issue as well, but then you run the risk of the black market compensating more for any discovered weaknesses.

GroundPounder

Or perhaps our “ally” KSA should be expected to screen the personnel they send here to make sure they aren’t affiliated with terrorist organizations or sharing their propaganda amongst themselves. If they’re too stupid or unwilling to do that, then why are we training them?

I would not trust them to make that call.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
On the subject of the shooter, about how many students from KSA run through our training every year? It would seem that the number would be low enough to do a good background on them all, and perhaps DX a few before they get here. I realize that the whole thing would be political, but maybe worth it in the long run.

The numbers have increased slightly with additional FMS buys, but there's some number greater than what you see in the TRACOM throughout the country. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, there are various tiers of language training at civilian institutions prior to showing up to Pensacola. There are now also enlisted personnel, which is something new.

Or perhaps our “ally” KSA should be expected to screen the personnel they send here to make sure they aren’t affiliated with terrorist organizations or sharing their propaganda amongst themselves.

Post-shooting, a background check is now mandatory, as well as limiting access to bases that they're not attached to via CAC/DEERS scanner at the front gate.

D

Deleted member 24525

All this privacy talk… Is no one aware now of that agencies can view your internet search history without a warrant?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Copy all, on sidearms. Not trying to beat a dead horse - didn’t read the entire thread.
All this privacy talk… Is no one aware now of that agencies can view your internet search history without a warrant?
Eh, this is not new, and not that revelatory. I’m far more worried about private companies and foreign governments looking at me in cyberspace than our own government.

Private data aggregators and geolocation data companies are particularly insidious. They will resell that data to anyone to make a buck, so there is little preventing your data from misuse.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Eh, this is not new, and not that revelatory. I’m far more worried about private companies and foreign governments looking at me in cyberspace than our own government.

Private data aggregators and geolocation data companies are particularly insidious. They will resell that data to anyone to make a buck, so there is little preventing your data from misuse.
I view getting my browser history as the virtual version of observing which stores I went to last year. In the end, I don't have any expectation of privacy in a public space, and if spending resources on gathering that data so google/Facebook/whatever can aggressively market appliances from Home Depot after I've already made the purchase then go for it.

These companies have a huge vested interest in keeping my actual private data (credit card info) secure since losing that reputation is one of the few things that can sink them.

I also like to click the offensive button for ads on social media, just to keep someone on the other end busy. I'm also curious if I can ever break the algorithm and eventually get no ads.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I view getting my browser history as the virtual version of observing which stores I went to last year. In the end, I don't have any expectation of privacy in a public space, and if spending resources on gathering that data so google/Facebook/whatever can aggressively market appliances from Home Depot after I've already made the purchase then go for it.

These companies have a huge vested interest in keeping my actual private data (credit card info) secure since losing that reputation is one of the few things that can sink them.

I also like to click the offensive button for ads on social media, just to keep someone on the other end busy. I'm also curious if I can ever break the algorithm and eventually get no ads.
Watch this TED talk:

PM inbound on what you can do about it.

Edit: Looks like I'm not allowed to send you a PM...

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Do you have a transcript? I don't like watching videos when I can read the salient points in 1/10 the time.