• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Act of Valor

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I took my 13-yr old grandson Saturday night to see the movie. This was Pensacola (FL), but the audience stood & clapped at the end of the movie. As we left, my grandson asked if that was what I did in the Navy. I admittedly readily that I was a simple male-secretary NFO (eat horse droppings, A4s, wherever you are). The movie was a big PR plug for the helo, amphib & sub Navy communities in addition to the Seals (of course). Not a carrier or a fast-mover anywhere in the film. That's OK.

jtmedli

pilot
The movie was a big PR plug for the helo, amphib & sub Navy communities in addition to the Seals (of course). Not a carrier or a fast-mover anywhere in the film. That's OK.

I agree. I haven't seen it myself, but I continue to hear good thing. It's nice to see the general public getting a taste of why the US Navy (and not just carriers/jets) is legitimately the best in the world. Seals + Helos = winner in my book.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Acting was a bit forced in a couple of scenes. It reminded me of those scenes in between levels in games like Call of Duty. But other than that I'd say it was really good. Definitely got the point across- the action was great, the scenes were well shot and the sound was fairly accurate. And there wasn't a drawn out fist fight with the main bad guy at the end. It was nice to see a little realism that way.

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
I would laugh but, had it not been for Top Gun, I'm pretty sure that would be a common misconception.

It's more common than you might think. I couldn't tell you how many people (otherwise extremely bright, tippy-top-of-the-IQ-scale types) have said to my husband some variation of, "Oh, you're a pilot? Is it hard landing those Air Force planes on carriers?" Some of these people also asked if I went on deployment with him. :rolleyes: The civilian population's ignorance of even the basic structure of the military is staggering.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I would laugh but, had it not been for Top Gun, I'm pretty sure that would be a common misconception.

There are a lot of people out there that somehow still think Top Gun was about the Air Force. I don't know how, but there are.

jtmedli

pilot
It's more common than you might think. I couldn't tell you how many people (otherwise extremely bright, tippy-top-of-the-IQ-scale types) have said to my husband some variation of, "Oh, you're a pilot? Is it hard landing those Air Force planes on carriers?" Some of these people also asked if I went on deployment with him. :rolleyes: The civilian population's ignorance of even the basic structure of the military is staggering.

Yeah, it definitely is. And the worst part is that the people we are talking about are the same ones who vote on a regular basis.

shutout39

pilot
Actual conversation I had today:

Me: "Hey man this is my last day I'm starting Navy OCS on Sunday."
Crossfit trainer: "Good for you man. What are you going in for, SEALs?"
Me: "No I'm slotted to be a pilot actually."
Trainer: "Sooooooo you're going to transfer to the Air Force then?"
Me: "Yep."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, to add fuel to the fire...
*The carrier's aircraft are only there to defend the carrier.
*Naval aircraft are really just for taking out other ships.
*The carrier doesn't have the kind of persistence that AF aircraft have over an area (meaning, a carrier can't do 24 hour ops). <- While true, I'd like to see the actual manning required for AF 24 hour ops.
*The carrier doesn't have the ability to get there as fast as the AF.

These are statements I've heard from multiple (MULTIPLE) AF majors. Don't think that ignorance is only in the civilian world.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......These are statements I've heard from multiple (MULTIPLE) AF majors. Don't think that ignorance is only in the civilian world.

Were any of them wearing wings......of the real variety, not the space ranger or even better, the cyber'warfare' kind?