• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Act of Valor

shutout39

pilot
Just wait until Top Gun 2 comes out...

I'm just happy to have applied prior to the release of Top Gun 2...if that ever happens. Can you imagine how many applications they're going to get? Pretty sure there are still people referring to my boy Tom Cruise in their moto statement.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I'm just happy to have applied prior to the release of Top Gun 2...if that ever happens. Can you imagine how many applications they're going to get? Pretty sure there are still people referring to my boy Tom Cruise in their moto statement.

I can look at Top Gun now and see how hookey it truly is, but back when it was released (I was a junior in High School and took a date to it) it was freakin' HUGE!!

There were Navy recruiters sitting at a table outside the movie theater handing out business cards and recruiting propaganda. So while Act of Valor may improve the recruiting for Navy SEALs, unless there are actually recruiters in the theater out in town, it won't come close to what Top Gun did in 1986.

Now while I'll agree that my military movie expiriences didn't start until the early 80's, I have never seen another movie that did more to promote a service since Top Gun.

So before you disparage the movie anymore, remember that when it was a great recruiting tool and pretty much shaped a generation of high school kids to see Naval Aviation as the coolest thing ever. That generation of high school kids are now O-5's and O-6's now so they are most likely your front office at your unit.

Citation3

I saw contributed $7.00 to the Act of Valor fund. I thought it was a pretty good flick. The action was great and the film work was fantastic. The sub work was frigging stellar.

You have to love the Senior Chief...."I'm sorry, your name is Crisco?"

yak52driver

Contributor
Mrs. Yak and I went to see it this afternoon. Kick ass movie, they did a great job of capturing what I'm sure it a very small portion of SEAL capability and mindset.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
So before you disparage the movie anymore, remember that when it was a great recruiting tool and pretty much shaped a generation of high school kids to see Naval Aviation as the coolest thing ever. That generation of high school kids are now O-5's and O-6's now so they are most likely your front office at your unit.

until they get relieved. its a little known fact that there were a few other 1986 releases that the Navy would like its next generation of leaders to have been in line for: this one, this one, and this gem - a favorite of Bogey-rotate.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I wore out my copy of Space Camp on VHS as a kid. I have to admit, I didn't know that Dr. Otto existed. . .I may have to find that one. I hope it's at least half as awful as the rest of Jim Varney's Ernest movies.

Reconjoe

...Space Camp was my favorite childhood movie and I'm not even a little bit ashamed. Always a bonus that it starred a fat 12 year old Joaquin Phoenix.

JKid

Alright ... raise your hand if you helped boost the opening weekend box office ...

I sure did. Great movie in many aspects, especially the cinematography. Despite the raging testosterone the movie produced, it was ::SPOILER ALERT:: quite a tear-jerker in the end. You could definitely hear some people getting emotional during the last scene.

Plus you can never go wrong with Navy assets blowing sh-t up. :D

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I wore out my copy of Space Camp on VHS as a kid. I have to admit, I didn't know that Dr. Otto existed. . .I may have to find that one. I hope it's at least half as awful as the rest of Jim Varney's Ernest movies.

You watch your mouth, Ernest was the greatest character of all time!
ernest.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it was awesome. I hope the NSW bubbas get a lot of good PR from this. HALO Jumps, SDV/SSGN usage, SWCC badassery, and the frogmen doing their thing. Oh, and of course, tons of Helo love. Can't wait for a extended cut.

Gotta say though, if you don't have a military background or a passing interest in military stuff, a lot of the dialog could go right over the head.

yak52driver

Contributor
I sure did. Great movie in many aspects, especially the cinematography. Despite the raging testosterone the movie produced, it was ::SPOILER ALERT:: quite a tear-jerker in the end. You could definitely hear some people getting emotional during the last scene.

Plus you can never go wrong with Navy assets blowing sh-t up. :D

Mrs. Yak got going pretty good during the last scene when we saw it yesterday. :) Last night she told me she wants to go again because things happened so fast in many scenes she couldn't take it all in.