• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ACLU vs. USNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The issue I take with the academy offering a non-denominational prayer at noon meal is that it doesn't really serve to satiate anyone's particular religious appetite. The idea that your god is appeased by a prayer that does not even mention their name could be construed as ridiculous in most religions.
I think very few religions found at the Academy require prayer to "appease" their God. I am no theologian but I know that isn't why I pray.

In addition, as a former mid who questioned noon meal prayer, I can understand why some chose to bring the ACLU in on this one. I was politely told that if I were to take it any further, I would not become a very popular mid on the yard.
So bringing in the ACLU and making it a national issue has some how shielded them from criticism? My personal take is that if you do think it warrants a law suit you can find a reputable law firm to handle it and leave the ACLU out of it. Bring in the ACLU is over the top and designed to make news, and hurt the institution. The changes desired might have been made by the chain of command, or through less damaging high visibility means.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gonzo is right on target. There is no pressure to participate in noon prayer what so ever. In fact, I was surprised by how many mids chose not to pray.

Coincidentally, I discussed this with the command chaplain at USNA about a week ago. The chaplains at the Academy really aren't too worried about this. He said they hear rumblings from the ACLU every year, and they usually die out. Additionally, (of course this is hearsay), he told me that the former mid quoted in the article wasn't willing to testify, if the suit came to that point.

I can't speak for every recent grad, but I heard stuff about this throughout my academy career, and nothing ever came of it. I wouldn't be surprised if this goes nowhere as well.

AJB37

Damn, and here I was thinking this thread was closed because nobody is going to change their mind about religion due to what people say on the internet...

MasterBates

Don't make me lock this. You want to preach USAdefender, there are plenty of street corners in Pensacola.

This is NOT the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.