• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ACLU vs. USNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who didn't pray...this is bullshit.

You don't have to be religious to appreciate what's said. Nor is it a requirement to understand the tradition in which it is held.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I'm surprised it took this long for it to happen. With the way things are going, it was only a matter of time before they targeted noon prayer. Honestly, I never participated and never felt pressured. I'm wondering if there's more to the story than being let on.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
My family had to tolerate hearing "In Jesus' name" at my commissioning. I need to make a phone call tomorrow. Anyone have the number for the ACLU?:rolleyes:

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Can I sue the ACLU to get them to shutup? As someone who didn't pray at noon meal it never bother me that people prayed. I never felt compelled just because someone next to me was praying... Are we again going to the "if one person is offended we can't to it" approach?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Anonymous Plantiff said:
"Everybody else is participating with their heads bowed and their arms crossed," the midshipman said in an interview. "It became very obvious that you aren't participating."

The midshipman, who spoke on condition of anonymity because she feared her military career might be affected, said she went along with the practice at first because she didn't want to stand out. But she stopped in her third year and stood at parade rest instead of bowing her head and crossing her arms.
Unless someone made comments to her then I can't see how she was pressured. What she's really saying is, "Everyone else was doing it, I felt that I had to." That's a perfect trait for JO.

Lawyers said:
And in 2003, a Virginia appeals court struck down the Virginia Military Institute's mealtime prayer as unconstitutional. The ACLU and the Anti-Defamation League have asked the Navy to stop the lunch prayer at the Naval Academy based on the VMI ruling.

The Navy is "ignoring the law," said T. Jeremy Gunn, director of the ACLU's Program on Freedom of Religion and Belief. "The government shouldn't be deciding what kind of prayer is the right kind of prayer and then coercing people into accepting their preferred kind of prayer."
As I am sure T. Jeremy Gunn really knows, rulings by a VA state court do not affect a Federal institution in MD.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
From my recollections it would be very easy to skip the prayer, since people typically get backed up into Smoke hall while going down the stairs. Ditto on suing the ACLU, Id love to join you on that.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I think problems arise when individual chaplains bring their own religion into the group prayer scenario. I've never had a problem bowing my head (eyes open) in thought (not prayer) when the opening prayer or benediction is made at military events. Where I do mind is when the verbage is "Lord in heaven.... blah blah... in Jesus' name we pray...etc". I find this disrespectful to the group being asked to pray. Chaplains should have the SA to realize that a simple prayer such as "Let us bow our heads... blah blah blah... amen". No referral to a specific god or Jesus doesn't hurt people's own prayers in their own mind/heart. Referring to those specifics only alienates those with different beliefs. I think that in a military or govt setting, that is the most appropriate thing to do. But hey, it's my $.02

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait until you're on a carrier and they do an evening prayer every night at 2200 on the 1MC and call for silence about the decks. Evening prayers were never secular that I heard.

Don't like it, keep doing whatever you were doing.

Why is that so hard?

However since USNA and USMA have now made their school songs gender neutral...I'd expect loss of command mandated prayer to soon follow.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
I dunno, I think we're a pretty advanced society (or at least getting there). The sooner we stop believing in supernatural ghosts, fairies, devils, and goblins, the better... (my opinion).

That being said, if people want to do their prayer thing, let em... just make it secular. If you believe in Jesus, you don't necessarily need to hear the prayer "tailored" to you... just use his name in your own mind. Command Prayer is supposed to be about unit cohesion. How can cohesion exist with alienation?

Don't take this as a stand-up for the ACLU... they are an abomination of what once was a good idea.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think problems arise when individual chaplains bring their own religion into the group prayer scenario. I've never had a problem bowing my head (eyes open) in thought (not prayer) when the opening prayer or benediction is made at military events. Where I do mind is when the verbage is "Lord in heaven.... blah blah... in Jesus' name we pray...etc". I find this disrespectful to the group being asked to pray. Chaplains should have the SA to realize that a simple prayer such as "Let us bow our heads... blah blah blah... amen". No referral to a specific god or Jesus doesn't hurt people's own prayers in their own mind/heart. Referring to those specifics only alienates those with different beliefs. I think that in a military or govt setting, that is the most appropriate thing to do. But hey, it's my $.02

Listen, out of 30 some odd candidates in my OCS class, I was the only Jew. I don't think the chaplain even checked, but whatever. Before we went into the chapel, I simply told my parents: "Hey, he's probably gonna throw some Jesus around, so just deal with it". He sure did, we didn't cry about it, and I got my commission and moved on. It really isn't a big deal.

By making a big deal out of it, I just be "That obnoxious Jew" that is so stereotypical. This country is Christian, whether we like to admit it or not. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow. You can't call the JDL for every little thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.