• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Accepted for third choice SWO. Have a few Qs. Final Select Letter?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As for fun stuff? Big bases sometimes have Surface Warrior Balls, San Diego's is coming up in only a couple of weeks. Not sure if you are married or dating or what, but it is a fun time to dress up and is a great way for your wife/girlfriend to see the pretty side of SWO life.
Why is it women always think guys like these type of activities?

From my experience we go for one reason - to keep our women happy. If we keep our women happy we exponentially increase our chances of having sex. :)

SeaHawk2011

FinSel SWO
Why is it women always think guys like these type of activities?

From my experience we go for one reason - to keep our women happy. If we keep our women happy we exponentially increase our chances of having sex. :)

That's it exactly ;)

I'm not much of a girlie-girl, but I like the annual excuse to get all dressed up to go to the Navy Ball

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Weird, I always went to Prowler Ball to get drunk with my buddies and irreparably soil my uniform. :)

I've seen red wine and blood wash out of choker whites... the Prowler Ball must be a helluva party :)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
..... Recruiter tells me I can apply for a lateral transfer after about two years SWO, any more info about this .....

You can apply and while possible to be selected, very unlikely. Bit of research reveals that a total of 3 SWO's have been selected for 13xx. Boards meets twice a year, November and June. Results past several years:

Board Date Number Selected
Nov 2010 Zero
June 2011 Zero
Nov 2011 One (1390)
June 2012 Two (1390)

Very bad odds. As someone pointed out, lateral transfers/redesignations are usually from unrestricted line to restricted line, for a reason.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<< ...I always will put my best into any path I take in the Navy, I suppose if I go SWO I will do my best and try to Lat transfer if I still want Pilot, but its looking as though the odds are against any hope of a SWO to Pilot lat transfer.
PS, I wanted to be an Officer in the US NAVY in the first place, not be a Pilot, so if I go SWO I will still be motivated to excel, even though its not the specific career I wanted in the Navy.>>>

An admirable ambition ...go for it!! You'll become part of an enviable and widely respected team ...for a career choice, who could ask for more?!?

allstar

coincidently I have the same degree in Finance with 3.6 GPA from Georgia state university and had oar 57 and 5/5/6 and I applied to the same board and also had pilot first nfo second and swo third and I was also only selected for the swo. I am wavering right now about accepting or not. I just don't know what to do. there is one pilot board coming in december for air force I gave the afoqt and my scores are good but again its kind of a lottery either I will be accepted or not. last year in the same pilot board they had 68.7 acceptance percentage. my my recruiter told me I have just 60 days to accept or turn down this offer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The rest of us understand that Queer A-6 guys are different. But that's okay in today's Navy....
Yeah, cause drinking with your buds is so... queer. I'm fairly sure that a poll of our various comunities would rank VP folk last in their ability to enjoy themselves. You don't even rate using the "queer" A-6 moniker. It was before your time as much as it was mine.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah, cause drinking with your buds is so... queer. I'm fairly sure that a poll of our various comunities would rank VP folk last in their ability to enjoy themselves. You don't even rate using the "queer" A-6 moniker. It was before your time as much as it was mine.
So defensive....actually during my time everyone called the EA-6B either the Queer A-6 or just Queers. During my tour on the TR the planes were referred to by the following:

F-14: Turkeys
A-6: Drum Sticks, Tadpoles, Uglies
A-7: SLUFs or VFR Bombers
E-2: Hummers
S-3: Hoovers
F/A-18 (the F/A was still the common nomenclature): Barbie Jet, Plastic Jet, FAGs
EA-6B: Queers, Double Uglies

An example of a common conversation on the TR's bridge:
Captain: Boss, how many more in this recovery?
Boss: We got 2 Barbie Jets, a Queer , a Hummer and the Hoover left.

KBayDog

Big bases sometimes have Surface Warrior Balls...

Walken_laugh_lose.jpg

GregGreek

Allstar- let me know how it goes, im going to see my recruiter monday and I will let you know what they say about the length of time the offer is valid. They may say differing things. What is your exact goal anyhow? To be an Officer in the Military or be a Pilot??

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Did your applications already go in front of the Pilot and NFO boards? If so, you were already non-select for those communities, so declining a commission to just reapply is going to hurt you -- a lot. You have to report on every subsequent application if you turned down a commission and, if so, why. If you were unwilling to go SWO, you should not have put that on your OCS application.

If your applications have not been seen by the pilot/NFO board, and they will be seen within the 60 days you have to accept/decline SWO, then by all means wait it out. Otherwise, when you decline your SWO spot, you are most likely declining a commission, period.

BigRed389

None
You can apply and while possible to be selected, very unlikely. Bit of research reveals that a total of 3 SWO's have been selected for 13xx. Boards meets twice a year, November and June. Results past several years:

Board Date Number Selected
Nov 2010 Zero
June 2011 Zero
Nov 2011 One (1390)
June 2012 Two (1390)

Very bad odds. As someone pointed out, lateral transfers/redesignations are usually from unrestricted line to restricted line, for a reason.

Yeah, those June 2012 results were literally released yesterday.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My advice is to take the SWO spot and at least get in the door. There are lots of options down the road that are not open to you on the outside - but! - go in decided to work your ass off as a SWO. Don't say a damn word about not wanting to be a SWO or what you're 'meant to be doing'. That way lies pain for you and aggravation for your command.