• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Acceptance Possiblities?

Trev82

pilot
I recently applied for occ-190 and much to my dismay i was not selected. However after speaking with a recruiter who was actually a recorder at the board she informed me that the selection was extremely competitive esp. for pilots. Now i am still very much interested and amped in going to Marine OCS whether its for SNFO, NFO, or Ground. I'm just curious if the selection rate is going to continue to decrease in the future. I'm turning 24 in March so i need to capitalize on this now if i'm going to do it at all. My stats were pretty good i scored 7/7/7 on the ASTB, 271 on my PFT, i passed my flight medical exam, i have really good LOR's from retired military family members, etc. I graduated from University of California, at Davis this past summer with an astounding GPA of just above a 2.0. I know that is pretty dismal but college life is not exactly the best environment for getting your studies done. I would just hate to let my dream pass me by because of a low GPA. My first priority is to be a Marine, but i do want to fly its what i applied for the first time, and what i've been preparing to do. However i will go in as a ground pounder or back seat driver, it really doesnt matter to me as long as i can put on the Marine uniform.

On another note is it pretty much impossible as far as getting into the Navy for a pilot position??

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated!!

Lonestar155

is good to go
I graduated from University of California, at Davis this past summer with an astounding GPA of just above a 2.0.

astonishing: so surprisingly impressive as to stun or overwhelm; "such an enormous response was astonishing"; "an astounding achievement";

Does that mean you recieved far beyond a 2.0 or boarderline? This may clarify some of your concerns. Aside from that if you dream of someday flying some of worlds elite jets apply for the NAVY as well! no question

Marine4life

Improve your PFT score. 271 is good, but 300 is better. Note that it is the one thing that you still have control over. Your grades in school, and on the ASTB are pretty much set. A PFT score of 290+ will help you. Stay motivated, it must come from within.

riley

Apply again, whatever you do don't talk to the Navy...

Like others say, improve your PFT. Work on getting other LOR from officials or senior Marines. By sticking in there you are showing determination and perseverence - that alone looks good to a board. Start volunteer work. Anything to make yourself better to the board. Don't take no for a final answer.

spec05v

Waiting...
Just keep working with you OSO. Not getting accepted on your first shot seems to be rather common. Show your OSO some determination and they will go out of their way to help you out.

Baalzebub

That's kinda scary. I have pretty similar stats except for the GPA. My OSO seems pretty confident that I will be excepted, that scares me a bit too. All that confidence just seems to build you up for a let down, so I try not to listen. I can offer you some advice given to me by an AF colonel about their selection process. Don't get letters from family members or low level politcal officials. He said the political officials are just paid people pleasers. How valid that is...I don't know. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck on your next application.

Baal

Carno

Insane
Don't worry, I got selected with a 2.26 and a PFT score of like 270.

During OCS we had to write down our GPA's and some other info, and I saw that most of my fellow candidates did not have over 3.0's. If you don't get picked the first time, don't give up.

SgtUSMC

Firstly, happy birthday Marines. Secondly, the only additional thing I could offer as to why it was so competitive for the OCC 190 is that it is the end of the fiscal year so it might be easier to get into 191. Plus reapplying will show you are determined.

From your post considering you want to be a Marine Officer doing anything first, and Naval Aviator second I would not even bother talking to the other services, not that they don't offer excellent opportunities for serving your country.

I am applying for OCC 191 ground so take it for whatever it is worth and Good luck.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
Coast to Coast

I recently applied for occ-190 and much to my dismay i was not selected. However after speaking with a recruiter who was actually a recorder at the board she informed me that the selection was extremely competitive esp. for pilots. Now i am still very much interested and amped in going to Marine OCS whether its for SNFO, NFO, or Ground. I'm just curious if the selection rate is going to continue to decrease in the future. I'm turning 24 in March so i need to capitalize on this now if i'm going to do it at all. My stats were pretty good i scored 7/7/7 on the ASTB, 271 on my PFT, i passed my flight medical exam, i have really good LOR's from retired military family members, etc. I graduated from University of California, at Davis this past summer with an astounding GPA of just above a 2.0. I know that is pretty dismal but college life is not exactly the best environment for getting your studies done. I would just hate to let my dream pass me by because of a low GPA. My first priority is to be a Marine, but i do want to fly its what i applied for the first time, and what i've been preparing to do. However i will go in as a ground pounder or back seat driver, it really doesnt matter to me as long as i can put on the Marine uniform.

On another note is it pretty much impossible as far as getting into the Navy for a pilot position??

Thanks for your insight, much appreciated!!

Go find an OSO in the Eastern Recruiting Region and I'm sure you'll get selected.

Trev82

pilot
why is it easier to get selected when applying from the east coast? it seems as though for occ-190 there was a higher acceptance rate for east coast applicants.

samadma

OCC-169 Grad
why is it easier to get selected when applying from the east coast? it seems as though for occ-190 there was a higher acceptance rate for east coast applicants.

Each coast has its own goal and it's own share of the mission. Some times one coast or district may have an easier time getting people selected due to the competitiveness of their applicants. I hope that helps.

Trev82

pilot
so even tho i live in san diego i can work with an east coast recruiter? that doesn't make too much sense. right now my package has just been sent from RS Sacramento to RS San Diego, anyone know the degree of competition down here in SD. Seeing as how this town is probably one of the biggest military cities in the U.S. i would think its pretty tough.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
so even tho i live in san diego i can work with an east coast recruiter? that doesn't make too much sense.

It's called a Courtesy Ship and OSO's will do it. I'm not sure what the criteria are, I know people on here have done it due to location of schools etc.