• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Academy Question...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You can do that...but you are required to turn your balls in at the front gate when you leave the Navy...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
What picklesuit said.

But yes, you can.

Dan, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a couple of former Army Ranges in '09?

Cleonard19

Contributor
You can do that...but you are required to turn your balls in at the front gate when you leave the Navy...

well, the way i see it, is that (if i don't get selected for STA-21) as a USNA candidate, i'll be compared to the other Nukes who put in packages, and if i'm not well qualified compared to the other Nukes, I still won't be compared to the other candidates whom i may be more candidates from. I really don't want to be stuck in the Nuke pidgeon hole forever. I was thinking that if I got into West Point, I would cross-Commission into the Corps (where i should have enlisted in the first place before i listened to the deceitful ramblings of the nuke recruiter). And, well, USAFA is like my last choice school.... STA-21, USNA, USMA, remaining enlisted, USAFA

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
What picklesuit said.

But yes, you can.

Dan, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a couple of former Army Ranges in '09?

If you're talking to me, there is a guy in my class, '10 that came from Army Airborne, and there is a youngster that is former West Pointer-turned enlisted Marine turned Midshipman. His is a good story.

We have plenty of prior enlisted Marines and Sailors in my company. I know there are some from other services as well, like I said, I know I've met and interacted with the Army Airborne soldier in my class.

phrogpilot73

well, the way i see it, is that (if i don't get selected for STA-21) as a USNA candidate, i'll be compared to the other Nukes who put in packages, and if i'm not well qualified compared to the other Nukes, I still won't be compared to the other candidates whom i may be more candidates from. I really don't want to be stuck in the Nuke pidgeon hole forever. I was thinking that if I got into West Point, I would cross-Commission into the Corps (where i should have enlisted in the first place before i listened to the deceitful ramblings of the nuke recruiter). And, well, USAFA is like my last choice school.... STA-21, USNA, USMA, remaining enlisted, USAFA
Cross commission is not a guarantee... And, you will not be compared to the other Nukes who put in packages. You'll be compared to all the enlisted guys that put in packages. There are 85 slots for AD and 85 slots for Reserve enlisted that are reserved at USNA. My class had around 130 priors. So 40 slots went unfilled. I think if you applied to USNA, you'd have a fair chance...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To add to what phrog so poignantly stated, the only way to see if you'll get accepted is to apply. If you don't submit an app, you're changes of going are 0%. If you apply, you have at least a 42% chance.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

You are aware that if you go to USNA, you can be ordered back into the nuke pipeline?

Cleonard19

Contributor
You are aware that if you go to USNA, you can be ordered back into the nuke pipeline?

I do understand that. But if it comes down to that, I'd still rather be on the O side of the nuke world than the blue shirt side. Nuke O bonuses are just juicy enough that I wouldn't pitch a fit about it.

And I have applied to USNA, my interview with the Captain is in two weeks. I'm just trying to explore all my options here.

Cleonard19

Contributor
I Talked to the CCC today, and he tried to tell me that active enlisted Navy can't apply to any service academy other than USNA. Does anyone know where i can find a reg that states otherwise?

phrogpilot73

I Talked to the CCC today, and he tried to tell me that active enlisted Navy can't apply to any service academy other than USNA. Does anyone know where i can find a reg that states otherwise?
I would say that it is partly true. You would be able to apply to other service academies, but it would be an interservice transfer. So, you would need to get a conditional release from the Navy.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot

Also keep in mind that with the current need for officers in the US Army, cross commissioning is going to be that much harder.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Also keep in mind that with the current need for officers in the US Army, cross commissioning is going to be that much harder.

I'd actually be open to that, if it was a combat related career path. I'm not much interested in anything like logistics or supply.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None

You have to volunteer for a Nuke interview, and then pass the interview. And you have to be medically qualified to go Nuke.