• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ABOUT TO ENLIST BUT WOULD LIKE TO BE AN OFFICER FEEDBACK PLEASE

Should I continue to go enlisted route or try applying for OCS and wait?

• Continue enlisted route

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stoflisberger

What they said. Navy Intel is primarily analysis and dissemination. Less James Bond and more Miss Moneypenny.

Its not a bad route to go if you want to work for one of the Agencies afterward, particularly if you can pick up an SCI clearance, a trip to DLI for languages, etc.

If you really want to be a sneaky man in foreign lands in the Navy, start doing pullups and apply for BUD/S.
I thought about Seals but was worried about what might happen to me if I would fail out of seals training? I am in great physical shape 5'9" 170lbs. and played three varsity sports in prep school and a varsity hockey in college. Anyone think I could possibly make it through the mental and physical demands of BUD/S?

Stoflisberger

Also would intel or being in the military in general help my chances of being picked up by a police agency? State troopers or even local PD's?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So HUMINT basically is only a commissioned job?
Concur with what the others have said. In fact, I'd go a bit farther and says that analysis really isn't the focus of what the vast majority of Navy intel personnel do until they're relatively senior. It's certainly not the same kind of functions that a boni fide analyst would do at CIA.

If you want to be a real analyst at a three letter agency, get a PhD. If you join the Navy Intel community (enlisted or officer), you're going to be disseminating tactical level intel by making PowerPoint slides and possibly briefing them to others. People aren't going to be asking for your opinion, because yours honestly won't be worth much. You'll just be regurgitating what the actual experts have already said - the guys with PhDs and decades of experience.

Sorry to burst your bubble. I don't know why these myths about the Navy Intel community persist.

Brett

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
So HUMINT basically is only a commissioned job?
Agree with all above, except I will say that I've worked with Marine enlisted Intel types doing HUMINT work. Those guys were E-5/6's and were mostly tasked with Force Protection duties for the MEU in foreign ports. It didn't seem very secret squirrel.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the OP is really just interested in applying for any position that includes "bad ass" in the job description. I understand the drive to have a little adventure and excitement in one's life, but kid, you've got to do a little more research other than watching action movies and reading Tom Clancy books. Hopefully this is an eye opener for you. The Navy has been a great career for me, at times filled with excitement and adventure, but it ain't like its portrayed in the movies. It's a lot of hard work, long hours, little glory and you don't get to celebrate with high fives at the end of the day after kicking the bad guys' ass.

Brett

Stoflisberger

I am not blind to the fact of how much work and time it takes to do anything in the Navy sir. I am driven and work hard now in the civilian sector. I have a full time job and work two part-time jobs so I can afford to pay for my large amount of student debt and to have money left over to enjoy a little slice of life when I have the time, which is not often.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cut him a little slack; nowadays, unless they come from a military family or live in a military town, most people have zero exposure to the military besides books and movies. Recruiting commercials are perfectly willing to reenforce the impression that everyone in the Navy is a Seal or a fighter pilot. So asking dumb questions is how everybody's going to start.

OP: Is there some reason you were only interested in Intel? It sounds like you're at least qualified for any Line designator.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
but thanks for your opinion.

Which is presumably why you're on this site asking questions, right? There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a bad ass, just make sure the jobs you're applying for are going to get you there. That is my point to you, my friend. To make some generalizations, most SEALs are bad asses - intel guys, well, they're mostly just dorks.

Brett

Stoflisberger

Cut him a little slack; nowadays, unless they come from a military family or live in a military town, most people have zero exposure to the military besides books and movies. Recruiting commercials are perfectly willing to reenforce the impression that everyone in the Navy is a Seal or a fighter pilot. So asking dumb questions is how everybody's going to start.

OP: Is there some reason you were only interested in Intel? It sounds like you're at least qualified for any Line designator.
Thanks Fester, I know I am green to all this so forgive me if a lot of what I am asking sounds stupid. I am just trying to feel out some jobs that I may be interested in and just because I ask does not mean that is what I want to do necessarily. Also I am interested in Intel because I feel that my skill set (Poli Sci degree & Law background in civilian workforce) would particularly be geared towards that profession in the Navy. Also what does a line designator do Fester? Once again sorry if my knowledge is limited with jobs.

Stoflisberger

Which is presumably why you're on this site asking questions, right? There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a bad ass, just make sure the jobs you're applying for are going to get you there. That is my point to you, my friend. To make some generalizations, most SEALs are bad asses - intel guys, well, they're mostly just dorks.

Brett
Haha I don't mind being a dork and my curiosity in SEALS is mostly due to my drive to challenge myself. Also now that I work in an office all day now, I thirst for the chance to be able to use my athletic and physical abilities since my playing days are over. I have played competitive sports my entire life and I miss the time, commitment, and the comradery that goes into playing any sport at such a high level. That is where I am coming from Brett and it surely is not coming from movies and reading books, which often tend to portray things very differently from what actually happens.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haha I don't mind being a dork and my curiosity in SEALS is mostly due to my drive to challenge myself. Also now that I work in an office all day now, I thirst for the chance to be able to use my athletic and physical abilities since my playing days are over. I have played competitive sports my entire life and I miss the time, commitment, and the comradery that goes into playing any sport at such a high level. That is where I am coming from Brett and it surely is not coming from movies and reading books, which often tend to portray things very differently from what actually happens.
Let me take a different tact then... The questions you're asking have all been thoroughly discussed here on AW, so I recommend you employ the search function and read the threads which will answer your questions. Then, you can come back and ask some detailed, original, informed questions after having done your own due dilligence. To draw a sports analogy for you, it's like you're showing up to football practice as a hopefull walk-on and your first question to the coach is, "What's a running back?"

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
...intel guys, well, they're mostly just dorks.

Brett

As "The Princess Bride" taught us, "mostly dorks" means "a little bit non-dorks". Should you end up in the intel community, strive to be a non-dork.....

MiracleMax.jpg

exNavyOffRec

It is VERY difficult to break into the CIA/NSA. They recruit at my college and they were basically laughing people away unless they spoke a critical language (Arabic, Urdu, Mandarin, Russian) or were a quantitative major (math/stats/CS/engineering) with a high GPA. I can't speak to the military to CIA transition though; maybe that route is easier.
I happened to be at a career fair with them recently, again... and all the gov't and military hang out and eat before the fair, but you are pretty much right on with what you said, it is a bit easier for prior military to get in, if they have either the language or the degrees you have listed.