• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A4s Your Wait Is Over - HK 416/417 Coming To Civ US Market

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Ok I think A4s has been dreaming about a high quality piston operated AR for some time now. Well it's coming. HK finally figured out there's money to be made in the US market. Probably a reaction to FN announcing a CIV 16" barrel SCAR :

images-products-mr556-general-mr556-lg-tm.jpg

From HK:

A direct descendent of the HK416, the MR556 is a semi-automatic rifle developed by Heckler & Koch as a premium level commercial/civilian firearm. Like the HK416, the MR556 is a major product improvement of conventional AR-type carbines and rifles.

Using the HK-proprietary gas piston system found on the HK416 and G36, the MR556 does not introduce propellant gases and carbon fouling back into the rifle’s interior, making it the most reliable of any AR-type firearm.

The MR556 will be produced at Heckler & Koch’s new manufacturing facility at Newington, New Hampshire from American and German made components. To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle’s upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.

Specs for the MR 556

Caliber: 5.56 x 45 mm NATO
Length, maximum (stock extended): 37.68″
Length, minimum (stock retracted): 33.90″
Overall width: 3.07″
Height: 9.45″
Barrel Length : 16.5″
weight (without magazine): 8.60 lb
Trigger pull : 7.64 lb
Barrel Profile: 6 lands & grooves, right twist, 1 in 7 in
Sight radius : 14.60″

images-products-mr762-general-mr762-lg-tm.jpg

Specs for the MR 762
Length, maximum (stock extended) : 39.10″
Length, minimum (stock retracted) : 35.94″
Overall width: 3.23″
Height : 8.36″
Barrel Length: 16.6″
Weight (without magazine): 9.60 lb
Trigger pull: 7.64 lb
Barrel Profile: 6 lands & grooves, right twist, 1 in 12 in
Sight radius: 16.14″

Oddly enough both models are being shipping with 10 round magazines … AWB 2.0 fears?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ok I think A4s has been dreaming about a high quality piston operated AR for some time now. Well it's coming. HK finally figured out there's money to be made in the US market......
Can I sleep in line overnight while waiting ... ??? :):sleep_125

Here's hoping they have a "come to Jesus" moment & sell the top-end option as well as the complete rifle ... :) ... HK really is a bunch of chumps when it comes to civie sales & marketing. It's still all about money .... $$$$$$

And you're probably right -- this is a market share "reaction" to the big inroads FN has been making lately in the carbine/rifle/special purpose weapons field.

But the SCAR ??? I may wait a while until sanity returns to that little piece of the action ... as online auctions have them going for $4-$7.5K (that'$ thousand$) for pre-delivery positions in the "first 1000" production run. At that price, it would take forever to recover your investment. And if you want to shoot it -- even longer.

Madness .... pure madness.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

But the SCAR ??? I may wait a while until sanity returns to that little piece of the action ... as online auctions have them going for $4-$7.5K (that'$ thousand$) for pre-delivery positions in the "first 1000" production run. At that price, it would take forever to recover your investment. And if you want to shoot it -- even longer.

Madness .... pure madness.
Buy the damn thing and finance it. Then after the bubble bursts and the prices fall petition Congress for help on the payments. Its the American way.

MasterBates

This discussion of Barret has me REALLY tempted to buy a 50BMG. Downside, if I go to CA I'd have to leave it somewhere for safekeeping, as I can't even bring it in with the mil exemption to their AWB.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
MB, go ahead and get one. I will take care of it for you and treat it as if it were my own.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
MB you wouldn't have any trouble finding a potential baby sitter for the Barrett. Hell I would be willing to upgrade my safe to ensure it was properly looked after.

utak

Damn, 8.6 lbs for the 5.56mm variant, and that's without magazine, ammo, and all the extra stuff that one would put on it.

H60Gunner

Contributor
MB, go ahead and get one. I will take care of it for you and treat it as if it were my own.

I offered too, since he has a "shipping" problem. Ship it to me, I'll make sure it's fully functional, and keep it bathed in CLP. If you end up in Kalifornication we'll just consider it a "long term loan". What's the down-side?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Here's hoping they have a "come to Jesus" moment & sell the top-end option as well as the complete rifle ... :) ... HK really is a bunch of chumps when it comes to civie sales & marketing. It's still all about money .... $$$$$$

No dice on sales of the upper:

To conform to German export regulations, certain design changes made in the MR556 prevents the rifle's upper receiver from being used on other AR-style firearms.

The rear takedown pin was moved to a new position and there is a modification to the chamber area to permit only a special HK bolt assembly. Our good Germsn friends wanted to specifically prevent Mil-Spec lowers or even a generic M-16/AR-15 bolt carrier group from being used.

Ugh - I know.

red_ryder

None
Isn't it just a matter of time before some third party figures out how to make a good piston upper for half the price? They can't be that hard to machine.