• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A380 cockpit

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What is the wheel on the left for, and it looks like it has a horn button.

And in the name of all that is right, no mechanical gyro at all, is just wrong.
Nose wheel steering and the "horn" is the parking brake.

The "peanut gyro" is called ISIS - Integrated Standby Instrument System. It has airspeed and altitude tapes, mach speed indicator and turn & slip indicator. It has a self-contained gyro and accelerometers as well as it's own pitot-static system and power source.

I prefer using my feet, and having a button for "hi-gain".
We can do that too but it is limited. Basically just for t/o & landing and not taxi.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
1981 called and wants the Navy's cockpit instrumentation back... Listen to me, sounding like a spoiled brat. I guess any plane that can stand up to the abuse of dip spit, pranged landings and garnering that "Navy Smell" is alright with me. (Keeping the Navy aircraft Gods & Gremlins happy, for selfish reasons of course)

dustydog

pilot
The Navy C-40's have HUD's in the left seat. It's a nice thing to have even though most of us don't use them enough. It's also a good tool to figure out if your going to make it over a storm.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Never seen a P-3 have you...:D

You have no idea my man, No idea... All TO familiar with the Mighty Orion. I think I flew in a reserve UIII that was mint, like a 163 buno. TACCO scope was beautiful and that was 60's CRT at it's finest! Now hit my expendables be-otch!!!:D But yer right, I guess I was referring to the rest of the Navy who isn't having their aircraft stricken at an astronomical rate! She always brought me home safe though.....