• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A word on weight training

rjmayer

I know there's some ocs fitness threads going and there's a whole forum for PFT, but I think it's important everyone sees this so I figured I'd start a new thread. On wednesday a bunch of OCS grads and current selects were working out. MWF are supplemental days in the gym while T and Th are squad PT days for us. A friend of mine was doing inclined bench press and on his last rep...POP went his shoulder. One month out before we shipped for OCS! Now he needs surgery and is probably a year behind schedule. Our OSO gave us a good warning today to stay out of the weight room. Running and body weight exercises only from here until shipping out. I just wanted to pass on the warning to everyone else. If you're going to OCS, there's not enough time to get hurt and heal up, so everyone becareful. Hit the pavement and the chin up bar!

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
You dont want to have the "oh shit i have OCS next month" thoughts and then start working out. The best thing is to be in decent shape well before then you only need to do light workouts to maintain yourself before you ship. Trying to max out or doing stupid shit will only hurt you. Bottom line is to be careful. If you're confident that you'll be ok then go ahead and work out. But if you're pushing the limits that close out you're asking for trouble

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Yeah, that is a great idea. Actually, once you're selected for OCS I suggest staying inside your home until the time comes to catch your plane to Northern VA because God knows what can happen to you out there living life!

:rolleyes:

You can get hurt doing just about anything - People get injured just as often from running as they do from being in the weight room.

Just be smart about what you're doing. When I attended OCS I can honestly say that I worked out harder on my own prior to attended and that the physical part was a breeze - Largely because I hit the weights regularly.

Do what you want, but I think telling people to stay out of the gym is excessive.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Crossfit, Crossfit, Crossfit or one of the other similiar work out programs, plus a good half marathon running program will provide the best foundation for OCS PT. Actually, it'll probabaly over prepare you if you take it seriously.

MR-

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
I would definitely never discourage anyone from doing supplemental weight training. It's too valuable to staying in shape. I would, however, encourage doing it intelligently. Don't be crazy about the weight you're lifting. If you don't have the correct form, either learn it or don't do the exercise. STRETCH. Before and after. Don't lift without a spotter. There's no reason why you should hurt yourself during weight training. Building up muscle can actually decrease stress on your bones and joints and can prevent you from getting injured.

rjmayer

Don't get me wrong, I love weight training, a lot more than running. Doing some light dumb bell work outs probably won't hurt. I'm just saying don't try and do maximum bench press or something stupid like that. Funny how someone said lock yourself in your house till you ship out, because our OSO did say try and live in a bubble. Oh, yeah then he made us run backwards up a steep hill in the grass while it was pitch black.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Since OCS I havent done a single practice pullup... just lifting... and I still get my 20 every time.

If you dont do retarded shit like try and deadlift 500 pounds while arching your back, warmup properly, and take the necessary precautions to prevent injury, theres no reason why you cant weightlift

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Although Navy and Marine OCS are quite a bit different, I think I can accurately say that being able to bench 400lbs is fairly useless when it comes to making it through, while being able to do 100+ pushups would help you out bigtime.

What is useful, is toning and building up your endurance, more than anything else. I've seen more than one meathead drop out of Navy OCS. One particular candidate's arms were thicker than my theighs, but could barely do the minimum pushups, and couldn't run to save his life.... - built like a brick sh*thouse, just had ZERO endurance.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have done P90X prior to shipping out (minus the diet portion). It'll build your endurance like none other, and it really works on your core.

/end useless knowledge from a squid

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Although Navy and Marine OCS are quite a bit different, I think I can accurately say that being able to bench 400lbs is fairly useless when it comes to making it through, while being able to do 100+ pushups would help you out bigtime.

What is useful, is toning and building up your endurance, more than anything else. I've seen more than one meathead drop out of Navy OCS. One particular candidate's arms were thicker than my theighs, but could barely do the minimum pushups, and couldn't run to save his life.... - built like a brick sh*thouse, just had ZERO endurance.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have done P90X prior to shipping out (minus the diet portion). It'll build your endurance like none other, and it really works on your core.

/end useless knowledge from a squid

If you can bench 400 pounds you damn well better be able to max any pushup test out there (unless your a powerlifter and all you've been doing is 1-3 rep sets for a while)

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Since OCS I havent done a single practice pullup... just lifting... and I still get my 20 every time.

If you dont do retarded shit like try and deadlift 500 pounds while arching your back, warmup properly, and take the necessary precautions to prevent injury, theres no reason why you cant weightlift

Exactly. Bodyweight exercises will certainly give you results, but you will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns that you wouldn't see if you were using weights. I almost never do pullups, yet I can do 30 without issue because of the strength I've developed from using weights that my body alone cannot provide.

And whats wrong with deadlifting 500lbs? :p

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

The two are related. If you have the strength to press 400lbs, and you're not a fat bastard, you had damn well better be able to do 100 pushups.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
If you can bench 400 pounds you damn well better be able to max any pushup test out there (unless your a powerlifter and all you've been doing is 1-3 rep sets for a while)

Common misconception...
Benching 400lbs =/= doing 100 pushups
Squatting 600lbs =/= running 3 miles in 17 min

Just because you are stacked, doesn't mean you have the stamina and endurance to make it through.... If this guy would've oriented his workouts towards endurance and stamina, he probably would've faired better.