• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A word on weight training

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Common misconception...
Benching 400lbs =/= doing 100 pushups
Squatting 600lbs =/= running 3 miles in 17 min

Just because you are stacked, doesn't mean you have the stamina and endurance to make it through.... If this guy would've oriented his workouts towards endurance and stamina, he probably would've faired better.

Which is why I said unless you are a powerlifter doing minimal repos. If you lift for mass then you are probably shooting for around 40 seconds of muscle time under tension. 40 seconds is probably just a little bit shorter than its going to take someone to get close to 100 pushups. That is still anaerobic.. running for 17 minutes isnt, you cant compare the two. Yeah, just because you squat 6 plates on both sides doesnt mean you can run a marathon... but 100 pushups isnt the same as a 3 mile run.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Common misconception...
Benching 400lbs =/= doing 100 pushups
Squatting 600lbs =/= running 3 miles in 17 min

Just because you are stacked, doesn't mean you have the stamina and endurance to make it through.... If this guy would've oriented his workouts towards endurance and stamina, he probably would've faired better.

If you take two individuals who are the same weight, the one who is stronger will be able to perform more repetitions of a given exercise.

You don't have to be heavy to be strong.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
"Moderation in all things..."

Both the bodybuilder and the twig are at the wrong ends of the spectrum. There are some bizarre specimens who can carry a ton of muscle and still run fast, but they're rare. By the same token, a twig is going to have a hard time humping a pack that's over half his bodyweight.

The performance oriented workout programs are best. Crossfit's my preference, though I've known some high performers on P90X and Core Fitness. There are probably several that fit the bill. A marathoner's workout program is going to sap too much muscle; a bodybuilder's or powerlifter's program is not going to build enough endurance.

Takeaway is this: don't be a dumbass. Don't try for a PR right before shipping. Don't take up competitive knife fighting, BMX jousting, blindfolded hang-gliding, or whatever the cool kids are doing nowadays, either (tip: if it has the word "eXtreme" in the flyer, think twice about signing up). Is your goal to be a Marine aviator or to be this guy (0:30):

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I feel like I'm taking a couple of retarded kids to chuckie cheezes. My point only point, before I retire for the evening, is that of these two guys:

muscleman.jpg

Lance.Armstrong.7.23.05.jpg

I'd go with option B as far as performing better at OCS, any day of the week. :D

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I feel like I'm taking a couple of retarded kids to chuckie cheezes. My point only point, before I retire for the evening, is that of these two guys:

muscleman.jpg

Lance.Armstrong.7.23.05.jpg

I'd go with option B as far as performing better at OCS, any day of the week. :D

Wow, a photoshopped image and a world class athlete.

Point made.

:rolleyes:

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

Yes, because EVERYONE who lifts weights carries around huge amounts of muscle mass... please....

This may seem utterly fascinating and seemingly impossible to you judging by that ridiculous comparison, but it is more than possible to have the cardiovascular endurance to run a 18:00 3 mile while still having the strength to bench 1.5x your bodyweight... think NFL wide receiver type physique, not Warren Sapp

facepalm.jpg

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Listen, when you kids graduate college and gain a few more years, I'll sit down and have this talk with you again, until then, listen to Phrog. I keed I keed. :D

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Listen, when you kids graduate college and gain a few more years, I'll sit down and have this talk with you again, until then, listen to Phrog. I keed I keed. :D

And this is relevant because your education at ERAU must have had some intense physiology classes :icon_wink

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot

A few more years? You mean as an SNA and military officer just like you? Oh, ok... I'll get right on that, sir.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I hope you know I'm yanking your chain, buddy. Great a$$ btw.

The "I keed" alluded to that, so I figured as much. I'm just a big proponent of having people get into the gym and lifting fairly heavy because I feel its a very valuable, often overlooked part of fitness.

And thanks - Its from heavy squats. :p

RabidMoose

I agree with godspeed 100%....there are these things called slow and fast twitch muscle fibers....when you lift explosive muscle building workouts (6-8 reps) your training your fast twitch muscle fibers...when you do endurance workouts i.e. long runs/pushups/situps your training your slow twitch muscle fibers....ive known many a meat head that cant do 30 pushups to save their life or run any kind of considerable distance.....not downing the lifting bit..don't want to offend sensitive people you just need a balance of the two...