• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Word on OCS (as of 2 DEC 16)

Allan H

Definitely bring them with you, at some point the first few days your RDCs will inspect all of the Priors' uniform items and if they're good to go they won't make you purchase them (the RDCs will be at the uniform shop with you when your class goes).

Good deal. I appreciate the info!

koliver

Definitely bring them with you, at some point the first few days your RDCs will inspect all of the Priors' uniform items and if they're good to go they won't make you purchase them (the RDCs will be at the uniform shop with you when your class goes).
Would that include people like me who were in NROTC for two years and still have PT shirts and shorts and white and black shoes? Also when are they switching away from the NWU I for the type IIIs?

Allan H

Would that include people like me who were in NROTC for two years and still have PT shirts and shorts and white and black shoes? Also when are they switching away from the NWU I for the type IIIs?

Type IIIs aren't mandatory until 2018, so I wouldn't expect to wear them anytime soon unless you end up going expeditionary. I say bring everything and if they say that they are in serviceable condition, you saved yourself a few bucks.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor

I think they still make you buy PT gear (it literally happens during the early stages of Day 1 so there's no time to check it), but you'll have extras which will be nice since you won't have to do laundry all of the time. They won't start issuing Type IIIs to new recruits until Oct 2017 per the NAVADMIN that made the change.

Allan H

How stringent are they on medals and ribbons in terms of proof? My awards on NSIPs only shows 1 of my good conducts and that isn't something that is on NDAWS. Should I remove the bronze stars or is this just for administration purposes? I'm not trying to get called out for stolen valor. LOL

egiv

Dumb question. What makes poopie suits worse than regular PT wear?

I can't speak specifically to poopie suits, since when I went through we didn't wear them, but I think the larger point is that OCS is designed to mentally destroy you for the first 3-6 weeks and then slowly put you back together, building your confidence up so that by graduation you feel ready to hit the fleet running. That mental destruction takes many forms - head shaving, no watches/concept of time, dressing in a way that makes you look stupid relative to the other classes (whether it's poopie suits, rolling vice blousing pants, PT gear for H class), or DI mind games.

So, I wouldn't get hung up on the specifics; I'd just go into it with 100% conviction you're going to get through it, regardless of what they throw at you.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
How stringent are they on medals and ribbons in terms of proof? My awards on NSIPs only shows 1 of my good conducts and that isn't something that is on NDAWS. Should I remove the bronze stars or is this just for administration purposes? I'm not trying to get called out for stolen valor. LOL

Unfortunately this I have no idea on, so I'll defer to any Priors on here.

For the poppie suits, they are actually not that bad (unless you go through in the summer when it's blazing hot). Yes they get sweaty and gross, but just wash them every other night. They were brought back because people were destroying their relatively expensive NWUs going to the sand pits the first few weeks.

gsalg

Ive searched around and gotten mixed reviews on this I feel like every class/individual is different. But how much leave do you get from OCS graduation to check into wherever? Whether its Pensacola or OCS.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody is going to QA your ribbons.

BigLuvin

pilot
None
LOL you should be good. I have the same issue with my 3rd GOOD CONDUCT. It says "Not Verified" in NSIPs. My close friend who commissioned last March said just bring a copy of your NSIPS and NDAWS and you'll be good.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Ive searched around and gotten mixed reviews on this I feel like every class/individual is different. But how much leave do you get from OCS graduation to check into wherever? Whether its Pensacola or OCS.

It depends on what your follow on orders are and where you're going. Since you're NFO, I would expect orders to report to Pcola the Wednesday or Thursday following graduation.

MTLiving

It depends on what your follow on orders are and where you're going. Since you're NFO, I would expect orders to report to Pcola the Wednesday or Thursday following graduation.
Is the SNA pipeline heading down to Pcola pretty backed up then??

tar12272018

Are the rooms shared or personal? What is the policy on cell phone use? I'm asking because I will be leaving my 6 month old for the first time, and I'm wondering if I will be able to communicate with him daily. Thank you.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Is the SNA pipeline heading down to Pcola pretty backed up then??

Apparently yes. All SNAs from my class got 13 weeks of OHARP and the word is to expect another 2-3 month wait in A-pool. NFOs are going straight down to Pcola and pretty much starting immediately.

Are the rooms shared or personal? What is the policy on cell phone use? I'm asking because I will be leaving my 6 month old for the first time, and I'm wondering if I will be able to communicate with him daily. Thank you.

Rooms are shared between 2 people with their own head and sink, and then two rooms share two showers. Personal cell phone use is not authorized until Candio phase begins in the middle of week 9. Weeks 1-3 you're restricted to sending and receiving letters, after RLP you get a 15 minute phone call each weekend/holiday and have access to email. Either way I would be prepared for 9 weeks of not a whole lot of contact.