• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Wake-up Call.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yep, got into the NROTC Unit at Berkeley, going to do it that way. Just would have been neat to attend the Academy.

I am not knocking the Academy, becuase it is a great school and a great opportunity for those who get to go BUT:

You are going to be so happy that you got a full ride to one of the country's best schools in one of the country's best areas and in the end get the SAME commission, will get to do the SAME job, and will have tons of great (and by great, I don't mean jumping over the wall to sneak into civilian clothes and do some off-limits drinking) memories. HAVE FUN! You are a lucky bastard! Not only that, but you are already in a ridiculous college town now! I am downright jealous. You have worked hard, now enjoy it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Man, if only my GPA had been a 4.3 in high school I would have been able to be a naval aviator....oh, wait, never mind.

Take your ridiculously good stats to Cal and have a good time. You'll thank me when you compare how your freshman year was with the academy kids while you're on summer cruise.

This..

bryant10.jpg

or that...

toga2.jpg

I'll take the last one!

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Remember that each Rep/Senater has only so many nominations and each State has only so many slots at each academy. So a stellar applicant from Kansas can not get accepted because there is an even more stellar applicant also from Kansas and only one slot. But a not so stellar applicant from Alabama can get in because he meets the criteria and there is two slots open for that state. It's not all straight across the board.

He said he had a VP nomination. That goes to military brats. It was an automatic nomination.

Just enjoy the hand thats dealt. NROTC is better in a lot of respects. Everything is what you make of it. I partied harder at USNA than I have in the last 3 years in civilian school... and thats probably part of the reason I won't be graduating from the Naval Academy. Life is 2/3 attitude and how you respond. Best of luck.

BerkeleyNROTC09

Xmid is correct, I also forgot to tell you an even bigger part of my app. My
father attended the Academy...makes you wonder who I pissed off.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Xmid is correct, I also forgot to tell you an even bigger part of my app. My
father attended the Academy...makes you wonder who I pissed off.

My father was an alumn and the director of admissions there for 3 years and they turned me down for direct admission. Don't feel bad.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Weird. My brother had about the same stats as you and he got his appointment a month ago. Sometimes its hit or miss. Don't worry. The Boat School aint the only place you can get a commission from.

Which begs the question... what exactly does admission to USNA mean?

Or, in other words... what does the marginal benefit to a USNA degree vs marginal return equate to?]

I'm dying to hear the answer to that question :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My father was an alumn and the director of admissions there for 3 years and they turned me down for direct admission. Don't feel bad.

Makes you wonder who HE pissed off then...I keed, I keed. All the academies use a weighted criteria that looks at many things so stellar academics are only one factor....organizational leadership (Boy Scouts, clubs, etc. are also a factor). Interviews are also important. Using your local Blue-Gold rep early can help guide you to a good package.

Horseshoe

So here is a small wake-up call for any of those wondering what kind of scores you need to get into The Academy.

My Scores:

1290 SAT
4.3 GPA
7 AP Classes [Calc A-B, Bio, Physics C, History, English(Lit), Gov't, Stats]
8:53 1.5mi
VP Nomination, Gov Nomination
Varsity: XC, Track
20/15 Vision

And I did NOT get in.

Good Luck.

actually, a kid i know from my school that got in, got in with a 2.something gpa, maybe even less.

then again, i go to school in deleware.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Makes you wonder who HE pissed off then...

It's simple. His father was in the worst firefight you could have ever dreamed of with with bogeys like fireflys all over the sky. His plane was hit and he could have made it back but he staved in the fight and saved three planes before he bought it. Unfortunately the battle occured over the wrong line on some map and now the academy won't let him in. The curse of being Duke Mitchell's kid ;)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Makes you wonder who HE pissed off then...I keed, I keed. All the academies use a weighted criteria that looks at many things so stellar academics are only one factor....organizational leadership (Boy Scouts, clubs, etc. are also a factor). Interviews are also important. Using your local Blue-Gold rep early can help guide you to a good package.

PM me if you would actually like to know the full details, but basically they wanted to see if I wanted it or if it was my dad, so they sent me to NAPS. He was asked about his opinion and he said to send me to NAPS... Story in a nutshell...