• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A question about STA-21

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I'm going to differ from what most have said. I enlisted in the Navy with the sole intent of becoming a Naval Aviator. I knew that I was taking a hard road, but it was the best thing that I ever could have done. It helped me mature, I got a lot of my partying out of my system in foreign ports (as opposed to nights I was studying in college), and in the end I was paid to go to college. I'm not saying that it will work out like it did for me for everone. What I can say is that because it was my goal from the beginning, I did everything I could, from boot camp on, to achieve my goals. Do what's best for you.

Superclub

pilot
I feel the same way you do scamahrmd, I have been around quite a few enlisted sailors and I really like the general atmosphere; however, you can just opt out of DEP? I was told you have to have a REALLY good reason or an acceptance letter to a four year university, "something that will offer you more than the NAVY can" (recruiter quote), didn't get the impression you could just opt out?

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
To me, once you signed those papers, you made the committment. Sure you CAN get out of it, but to me it dosen't seem like the way to show they Navy that your dependable. Sure there are circumstances (blatently lied to by recruiter, etc.), but if you have made the committment, stick with it.

Superclub

pilot
I feel the same way, my dad says that I have made a commitment and should stick to it, plus I am really looking forward to just being in the Navy.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Pursuing a commission by more logical means is not reneging on your commitment. Go find the nearest NROTC office and start bugging them. Applications for scholarships for next year are opening soon. If your high school was as good as you claim, you shouldn’t have any problem lining up a scholarship. At least delay your ship date to find out. If you get an NROTC scholarship, you’ll be sworn in to the USNR as a Midshipmen and removed from DEP. At least do that if what you really want is a commission.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
Another option is to send in an NROTC application and still ship on your original date. If you get accepted they would just take you out of A school, or wherever you may be at the time. I have a friend who found out he was accepted while he was in boot camp. They gave him the option to just go home, but he opted to wait until he graduated boot camp.