• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A question about STA-21

Superclub

pilot
Would an above average high school record, high test scores, AP classes, 4.0+ GPA, etc. carry weight with STA-21 boards?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Black Days said:
Would an above average high school record, high test scores, AP classes, 4.0+ GPA, etc. carry weight with STA-21 boards?

If you're describing yourself, why not shoot for a ROTC scholarship?

Superclub

pilot
Little late, for years all I've wanted to do is fly Navy, yet last year I had some second thoughts due to some personal issues, by the time I decided all app. deadlines for ROTC and Academy had passed, STA-21 is a great program and I would like to enlist and go for it. Was wondering if academic track record has any weight with board, or what

hourocket

Bullseye
None
DO NOT ENLIST just to go for STA-21, it is not easy to get into the program, and grades are just a small part of getting in, look at all the options, but DONT enlist just to go for STA-21

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
hourocket said:
DO NOT ENLIST just to go for STA-21, it is not easy to get into the program, and grades are just a small part of getting in, look at all the options, but DONT enlist just to go for STA-21

Concur. Also, it'll take you at least a couple of years before you can even apply. Even if the deadline has passed, there are always 2 and 3 yr ROTC scholarships. STA-21 is a program for enlisted sailors who want to become officers, not civilians who are looking for a commission.

LoneSailor

How old are you? If you really want ROTC or the Academy and if you meet age requirements, why not try again next cycle. Doing STA-21 would probably take too long assuming you're not in the Navy yet. One of the fastest way you could get STA-21 quick -- while not a guarantee -- is to go through the nuke pipeline and submit a package there.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, so you missed a couple deadlines. How old are you? There is plenty of time to get into a ROTC program, heck even the academy (depending on age) if that's what you really want. I'm going to put this simple for you. Enlisting in the Navy for the sole intent to get into the STA-21 program would be STUPID. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Superclub

pilot
I am not joining solely with the intent of STA-21, I am enlisting in nuke field because it is a rising form of energy in civilian sector. However, I have recently started to kick around the idea of submitting a package for STA-21 when I get in. I am 18 and dep'd in nuke for next sept.

S.O.B.

pilot
fc2spyguy said:
Okay, so you missed a couple deadlines. How old are you? There is plenty of time to get into a ROTC program, heck even the academy (depending on age) if that's what you really want. I'm going to put this simple for you. Enlisting in the Navy for the sole intent to get into the STA-21 program would be STUPID. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Agree 100%. This would be a huge mistake. Like someone said grades in high school are just a small part of STA-21. You wouldn’t even be competitive until you made it to the fleet and even then you really wouldn’t have accomplished anything compared to the other applicants (WARFARE, MTS, ETC). It could potentially be years before you are selected. Go to school anywhere even if it’s a junior college and apply for an ROTC program at some point whatever but DO NOT ENLIST to go STA, BAD MOVE. :eek:

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Who told you nuclear power was on the rise in the civillian sector? The US hasn't built a new nuclear power plant in 30 years.
Anyway, if you want to be a Nuke officer, then nuke school is where you want to be. In fact, nuke school/ prototype (staff and student) is the only place where they accept applications to the nuclear option. For nukes going nuke, academic performance in the pipleline is the greatest factor.

A GPA >4.0 on a 4.0 scale is a scam, and everyone knows it is. However, it sounds like on a NORMAL scale, your high school is pretty good. You'll still need to bust your ass in the pipeline. Be prepared to spend about 50-60 hours between class and study. You're shooting for >3.7 GPA in A school and Power School.
If you want to do something else (like pilot), be prepared to wait. You'll need a fleet record in order to establish yourself. They aren't going to give full pay and a scholarship to just anyone. Strong academics are a plus, but it is rare to be selected for STA 21 pilot out of the nuclear pipeline.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I just realized what I typed earlier seemed contrary to what others wrote. It wasn't meant to be. Don't enlist if all you're after is a commission. It's not worth it. Start talking to an NROTC recruiting officer or something.
When do you ship?

sarnav

Get out of DEP and go to an Officer recruiter. The recruiter will be pissed but it sounds like he sold you on a scam at worst and gave you some bum gouge at best. You are only 18, plenty of time to look at the Academy and whatever it is they call the Academy prep school now or an ROTC scholarship. If you sign the enlisted contract saying that you will go nuke they will not be too happy spending all that money to train you in a field you arent interested in, and like many have said, STA21 isnt the easiest program to get into. Good luck with whatever you decide.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, I don't know your entire situation, but it seems like your goal is to be an officer, correct? If this is the case, don't enlist. Go to school, and get with the NROTC program. There are other options than the 2/4 year scholarships. You can also be what's called a college programer. Meaning you drill with the unit just like the others and will do everything but the summer cruises (forgive me if this isn't entirely correct, I'm not totally familiar w/ the program). After observing you the unit can work to get you on scholarship.

Note: YOU ARE NOT LOCKED INTO ANYTHING, YET!. Regardless of what your recruiter says, you don't have to go to boot camp right now, you aren't required to enlist at this point. You simply have a reserved spot with your name on it for boot camp and the nuke program. You CAN opt out of it.

Again, if your goal is to become an officer, then go to school. It's that simple right now. Please feel free to put your thoughts and questions here. There are many people here that have a lot of experience and would be happy to give some guidance. Best of luck to you in making your decision, just make sure it's what you want to do, not what you think is the only option because of some past deadline. We can't control the future, but we can make the paths a lot easier with our decisions today.