• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Pilots son flying solo

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has alwas been thus... when I left on my first combat cruise, my 3 'rugrats were 4, 3 & 1. The year of predeployment workups (wpns dets/schools/carquals/at sea ops, etc.) didn't leave a lot of family "quality time". I think the toughest hit I took on/after a tough deployment... walking in from my parked aircraft after the fly-in. With my helmet still on, the 4 of them rushed out for the traditional greeting. As we stood there getting 'reacquainted', young 2-yr. old Patrick hid behind his mother, screaming in terror... at this unfamiliar alien stranger in the midst of 'his' family!:eek:

Of course it didn't take too long to readjust, and the cycle started over again preparing for the NEXT deployment. The career life requires many adjustments and family compromises. Some do it, some don't care to, it's not easy... just the way it is.;)
View attachment 12372
*The BusyBee swarm between deployments, Easter '67
BzB
Fast forward the BusyBee "Swarm" to today... in the '67 photo order, w/ Patrick the 2-year old "wailer" to the right.;)
Colleen's Litho.jpg CDR Mike Magee.jpgPatrick.jpg
BzB

Bevo16

pilot
There is a lot of my own childhood in that article.

I grew up in South Texas and at least 4-5 times a week would run out of my living room to watch one of the jets from Beeville or Kingsville scream overhead. Even if it was just a crop-duster, I was that kid out in the yard waving up to the pilot hoping that he would see me and wobble his wings. Dad had been an air-crewman in S-2 trackers, and would wear his flight jacket occationally on the rare days that it got cold enough in that part of the country. When he wore that jacket, everyone treated him with a higher level of respect (and he was a well respected man in town). As silly as it sounds, when I saw "Top Gun" when I was 12 or 13, there was no doubt in my mind what I was going to do with my life.

Everything was "normal carreer path" for me through college, flight school etc.. Then my son was born. I didn't love flying any less than I did before, but I realized early on that those grey aircraft will never, ever, hug you back. No matter how much time, emotion, and energy you put into them, you can be damn sure that one dark night that airplane is going to try to kill you.

When my boy was 2, he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and given a 30% chance of survival. His only hope was to go to St. Jude in Memphis and my leadership hooked me up with orders (TAD at first, then PCS) to Millington so that I could be with my boy for his treatment. I was fairly certain that I had given up flying permanantly, but never regretted that decision. There are a lot of pilots out there, but my son only has one dad and it's up to me to be the best one that I can be. It's even more important in my case, because like 707guy, my ex is major loser and decided to quit the team as soon as my boy got out of the hospital. I don't regret for a second giving up the "normal" career for my family. I've got a new lease on my "real" life with a great wife who is a rock-star mom to my son (who is perfectly healthy, thank God) and baby girl. I'll be able to continue my career (and even fly again) in the reserves, so it's all good.

That article sure did hit home though. Not just my childhood, but I'm sure my son's to some extent as well.

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
From NAS Whidbey PAO:

*** NASWI All Hands ***

On Friday, 17 May at noon, Mr. Stephen Rodrick will be making an appearance at the NASWI Officer's Club. He will read portions of his new book, and be available for question and answers. All Hands who have ties to the NAS Whidbey community are welcome, including those who may be from his father, CDR Pete Rodrick's era, or those who are interested in hearing about Stephen's journey with current members of the Whidbey/VAQ community in his time with VAQ-135, the "World Famous Black Ravens". The facility's regular Lunch menu will be available.

Rodrick will be in town as part of his promotion of his book "The Magical Stranger," a story about his father who was a former CO of VAQ-135. It is about his attempt to trace his father's footsteps as well as his own youth which in part includes Oak Harbor and NAS Whidbey Island. The inside of his book includes a dedication to those most recently lost in the crash of VAQ-129 aircraft 902 as well as their families.

On November 28, 1979, Commander Peter Rodrick died when his plane crashed in the Indian Ocean. He was just thirty-six and had been the commanding officer of his squadron for 127 days. Eight thousand miles away on Whidbey Island, he left behind a wife, two daughters, and a thirteen-year-old son who would grow up to be a writer-one who was drawn to write about his father, his family, and the devastating consequences of military service.

To better understand his father and his own experience growing up without him, Rodrick spent nearly two years with his father's former squadron. As he learns more about his father, he also un-covers the layers of these sailors' lives: their brides and girlfriends, friendships, dreams, disappointments-and the consequences of their choices on those they leave behind.

This event represents a homecoming to Oak Harbor for Rodrick. He is a contributing writer at The New York Times Magazine and also a contributing editor at Men's Journal. Before becoming a journalist, Rodrick worked as a deputy press secretary for United States Senator Alan J. Dixon. He holds a bachelors and masters in political science from Loyola University of Chicago and a masters in journalism from Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Great article. The military skipped a generation in my family, so I had a fairly stable childhood with both parents present, but this definitely gives me perspective on how my own kids might feel with my extended absences and working full time when I am at home. I definitely decided early on that the Navy is never going to ask me to give less or take more time to provide balance for my family. That is up to me to make the call when and if the time comes.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It all comes back to priorities. Some guys can have their career, not worry about the family, and it all seems to work out. But it is usually an illusion. Rarely is that without cost. The price is just unseen or unknown from a long time. The guys that can really make it work have a great spouse that they communicate with and make a full partner in the career path decisions. The old canard about the family serving too is so very true. You have to admit it. No matter how much deployment may suck in other ways, the flying is always more fun and interesting. Can't imagine anything being better or more fun for the family left behind. I salute all of you guys and your families that have or are making it work.

As a guy who lost his father (not to an airplane, but under tragic circumstances) reading this article was like getting my nuts kicked, and I mean that in a constructive way. Seeing what happened to Rodrick after his dad died confirms my greatest fears about flying. Reading the book now, well worth the $12 kindle version, goes into a lot more detail about Rodrick's life after his dad died. My hats off to the guys who can have a successful career and keep a good family life at the same time. You are better men than me.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Picked up a hard back copy at Watermark Book Store in Anacortes. So new the owner hadn't even gotten them out of the box yet. Read it from cover to cover in about 6.5 hours.

Good book. More interesting is knowing all the contemporary players in the book - some of them VERY well. Let's just say the author pretty much nails his descriptions...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Picked up a hard back copy at Watermark Book Store in Anacortes. So new the owner hadn't even gotten them out of the box yet. Read it from cover to cover in about 6.5 hours.

Good book. More interesting is knowing all the contemporary players in the book - some of them VERY well. Let's just say the author pretty much nails his descriptions...
Being on Lincoln out of Everett, we were pretty much the go-to CVN for Prowler guys that wanted to stay local. I got a very intimate view into the senior (post command and post DH) Prowler community. And here I thought we were a small, inbred bunch in TACAMO...

One of the guys mentioned in that article, Tupper, was my Air Boss. Great dude.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Went to a reading at Anacortes library tonight hosted by Watermark Books with author and several "key characters", and community members. Ended up at the Brown with author hosting a nice tab...