• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A Pilots son flying solo

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Holy shit that one hits close to home...as a military brat and a father/pilot, I see too much of my own family life in that article...great find!
Pickle

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Does it really change that much when you have children?

I love flying airplanes. Love it (as I'm sure many of us do). Most days there is nothing I'd rather do. Intercept not going well? Bombs not hitting close enough to the bull? That last join up a little rough? F it, I'm in an airplane and this beats just about any day on the ground.

Does that go away when swanee Jr comes into the world?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Does it really change that much when you have children?

I love flying airplanes. Love it (as I'm sure many of us do). Most days there is nothing I'd rather do. Intercept not going well? Bombs not hitting close enough to the bull? That last join up a little rough? F it, I'm in an airplane and this beats just about any day on the ground.

Does that go away when swanee Jr comes into the world?

Everyone is different but I have three kids and the urge to fly is as strong as ever. The tough part is balancing my want to volunteer for every det with the idea that maybe I should pass on one every now and again to stay home with the wife and kids.

Some people can't do it and get out, some balance it for a career.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Everyone is different but I have three kids and the urge to fly is as strong as ever.

Some people can't do it and get out, some balance it for a career.

I have two and I can't imagine NOT flying.

I realized a while back (about 6 months after my wife did, incidentally), that flying totally centers me and even a shitty day in the plane makes me a better person. It's like Randall in that go kart scene from Clerks. I don't try to explain it, I just go with it.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
After my son was born at Pax I was looking at going back to sea duty. Couldn't talk the ex into any of the "good deal" orders that I found so when the choice was "any ship out of Norfolk" I decided to pack it in and head home. Over the years there have been many times that I thought I should have stayed in and done my twenty. Flip side is my ex turned out to be a real freak show and I'm glad that I have been able to be with my son and daughter and give them as stable an environment as I can. Now that my son is 21 and my daughter is starting high school next year I'm looking at getting into the Reserves and finish up what I started!

Flugelman

Contributor
My hardest day was the day after my son's first birthday. I walked to the hanger with tears in my eyes, leaving on a 6 month deployment. Fortunately, I had married a rock star Mom. She held things together then and still does, 35 years later. The balance can be achieved but having two committed sure helps.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flip side is my ex turned out to be a real freak show and I'm glad that I have been able to be with my son and daughter and give them as stable an environment as I can. Now that my son is 21 and my daughter is starting high school next year I'm looking at getting into the Reserves and finish up what I started!
It has alwas been thus... when I left on my first combat cruise, my 3 'rugrats were 4, 3 & 1. The year of predeployment workups (wpns dets/schools/carquals/at sea ops, etc.) didn't leave a lot of family "quality time". I think the toughest hit I took on/after a tough deployment... walking in from my parked aircraft after the fly-in. With my helmet still on, the 4 of them rushed out for the traditional greeting. As we stood there getting 'reacquainted', young 2-yr. old Patrick hid behind his mother, screaming in terror... at this unfamiliar alien stranger in the midst of 'his' family!:eek:

Of course it didn't take too long to readjust, and the cycle started over again preparing for the NEXT deployment. The career life requires many adjustments and family compromises. Some do it, some don't care to, it's not easy... just the way it is.;)
Magee Family @ Lemoore 1967.jpg
*The BusyBee swarm between deployments, Easter '67
BzB

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Funny thing is now I wouldn't mind 6-7 months on the boat - nice vacation from the everyday running around! ;)

Fallonflyr

pilot
My bubble got a little bigger after my daughter was born and I put in my papers to get out. I saw how hard it was on my squadron mates with kids thru 5 WestPacs.

Renegade One

None