• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

a little nervous

devildog2307

Hi, I was at the oso office yesterday, filling out some prelim paperwork before I go through meps, and found out that they are submitting my package with a pft score of 300. Technically I was a 18:07 on the run, but since it was conducted at altitude (mile high) they are trimming 1:30 off that run. They said it was standard procedure, but I feel better about saying I was what I actually did. Which was a 299. Would they send me to stand tall before the colonel if I don't touch 16:37 down there? Because honestly, I don't think I have a chance at doing that. Thanks.

DevilDog2307

Crowbar

None
There are certain areas where you get a break on your run time. The order says:

2201. ALTITUDE 3.0 MILE RUN. Marines permanently assigned or on TAD to locations at or above 4500 feet above sea level will have adjusted run times. The altitude 3.0 mile run point values are contained in appendix H. Commands are directed to provide newly joined Marines a 30-day acclimation period prior to conducting a semi-annual PFT. Marines scheduled to report to a command at altitude in June or December will complete their PFTs prior to reporting.

Appendix H lists the perfect score for a high altitude run time for males at 19:30.

devildog2307

Crowbar said:
There are certain areas where you get a break on your run time. The order says:

Appendix H lists the perfect score for a high altitude run time for males at 19:30.

No, see, I understand all that. That's fine. I'm not questioning anyones integrity here. What I'm asking is: if I don't go 16:37 down there, am I wrong?

Crowbar

None
No. Expect your initial PFT run time to go down a little regardless. The sudden change in sleep pattern, diet, and climate will affect you. The staff knows this.

devildog2307

Crowbar said:
No. Expect your initial PFT run time to go down a little regardless. The sudden change in sleep pattern, diet, and climate will affect you. The staff knows this.

Cool, thanks, you answered my question. I've been once, but was npq in week 4 for achilles tendonitis. Is it common to not sleep during the in processing? Last time I was there I couldn't fall asleep much until after pickup. Finally after exhaustion kicked in, I would fall asleep within 30 seconds of getting in the rack.

Crowbar

None
Oh, so you knew this already? What will get you noticed is having a '300 PFT' before you ship, then getting put on probation for a suck ass run time.
Sleeping during in processing depends on your staff. I got NPQd the first time I went. That year we were in the rack literally before dark every night. The next time I went we were still sitting in the classrooms every night at almost midnight.

devildog2307

Yeah, I mean last time I was there my run was 21:something while limping. No matter what, I have no doubts about being able to turn in something 270 or better, as long as that doesn't get me in trouble- cool. They didn't keep us in the class rooms until midnight. I just stressed and ended up tossing and turning all night.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Honestly, if you don't fail any events on the initial PFT they won't say anything. They will let you begin training. No chits or anything. They probably don't want candidates to know this before they ship but it's the truth.

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
You will only stand in front of the Colonel if you get below a 225 pft or fail the run. I had to go in front of the Colonel because I got below a 225.......wait let me explain... I had a horrible counter for my crunches. He was a complete dick! I did well over 100 but he would tell me "your arms are moving too much", "your hands are sliding." those don't count......My crunch total was 42!!!! I was pissed to say the least. I would understand if it were a PTI or one of my GySgts, but it was another candidate from a different platoon who didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Anyway, enough gripping....... I had to stand in front of the Colonel and all that he said was...." work on your crunch technique.......no probabtion for Candidate *****, your dismissed back to your platoon. ..............So, long story short..........DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.

devildog2307

Cool, thanks for your feedback, gents. Just thought I would cover my bases. I want to be over prepared if possible, since I know enough will go wrong anyway. I'm not going back this time just to get sent home again. I'm going for the win (graduate).

Thanks, regards, but foremost- KILL!
DevilDog2307

bcatcher5

Selected OCC 190
OVERCOME said:
wait let me explain... I had a horrible counter for my crunches. He was a complete dick! I did well over 100 but he would tell me "your arms are moving too much", "your hands are sliding." those don't count......My crunch total was 42!!!! I was pissed to say the least. STUFF.

Same goes for the pull-ups. Make sure they are in form when going down there. The last thing you need on the initial PFT is GrySgt yelling- "ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE, go down further those don't count". Needless to say, at least the GrySgt yelling at you instead of a candidate.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Yes yes yes, to reiterate for those who don't know, that trash that the OSO lets you slide with doesn't always count down at Brown Field.

Your arms MUST lock out on pull-ups (for best results pause a full second between pulls).

You must have your hands on your TRICEPS or gripping your LATS, then your elbows must tough your thighs WITHOUT leaving your stomach while performing "crunches". These actually amount to full sit-ups and resulted in many candidates losing more than a few pints off of what they had thought would be an easy 100.

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
E6286 said:
Another candidate ****ed you over like that? Don't guys look out for each other?
most candidates will...... however there are about three or four in each platoon that get frickn' ridiculous about the most anal of things. And after a little while everyone catches on and thoses candidates have it dished right back at them. The platoon staff catches on aswell and will call those candidates out on their sh*t. Another story comming....ready........... ok.... We had a candidate in our platoon that complained and whined about EVERYTHING and blamed everyone else for something he screwed up. If his rack wasn't in order, he would tell the GySgt that his rackmate must have put gear on his rack and that's why it looked the way it did. He would also get in another candidates face and tell him that he didn't belong at OCS because he wore his cover like a ball cap. *Give me a break!* FUNNY... when it was time for our first peer evaluations..... as you would think, he received horrible evals and got chitted for it. On the response section of the chit, he wrote that candidates were jealous of him and only gave him bad evals because they didn't like him. BIG MISTAKE!!! After reading it, our GySgt stormed out of his office, called everyone to attention, read it out loud, grilled him BIGTIME, called him out on being out of shape, a mamma's boy, and then asked the entire platoon if Candidate **** was what a Marine Officer should be. Immediately everybody yelled out a motivated NO GySgt! ..... so my advice when you go..... don't try to stand out, don't blame others, learn from your mistakes quickly, and BE A TEAM PLAYER.