• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A greeting, and a question.

Kelso

Hello everyone!
My name is Andrew, I'm 22 and I have been in the navy for 3 years, and am currently sitting as an AT3 expecting to pick up AT2 off of the exam in March. I was recommended to this site by a Commander that was standing outside of the galley here in Yokosuka, Japan. The site seems to have an extremely large amount of information available for any enlisted looking into joining the officer ranks, and I will be sure to forward it to many! But the real reason I am posting is that I have come to a turning point in what I have now decided will be my naval career. I am extremely interested in applying for the STA-21 program, but I have a few worries about it.

First off, I'm stationed aboard the USS Kitty Hawk, on what will be her last formal cruise. I will be Cross-decking to the USS George Washington sometime this summer and will eventually return back to Japan onboard the GW sometime later in the year. This poses what seems to me, a HUGE problem. My first command was a shore command and I had no opportunity's at all to get my (AW) pin. On top of that I'm not sure if I will have the option to get it on the Hawk because I'm being told you must be on board for 6 months before you can begin the qualification. If this is true or not I'm not 100% sure, but I have read on the site that if you don't have your pin(s), you may as well not even bother.

Secondly, I have only been onboard the Hawk for a month. With the cross deck schedule, I will only be on the Hawk for a few more months before going to yet another command aboard the GW. This really limits me on face time with my CoC, and my ability to show my potential as a worker, leader, and future Naval officer hopeful. I believe that I have already set a very good impression but I highly doubt that is enough to constitute me receiving one of these fabulous recommendation letters that I have been reading on the site.

The last issue is what really bothers me and keeps me awake a lot of times at night for the past month or so. I turn 23 in July, I have acquired SOME college credits from my A school, and my 2 C schools on top of a few clep/DANTES exams I have taken, and a few other military funded courses I have visited in my 3 years accumulating to approx. 60 semester hours. None of which is really directed toward any specific degree at all. But what I'm getting at is, it could potentially take me 3 years or so to finish my degree that I want to complete. And if I do not submit this package within the next year from this time I wont make the cutoff of age 27 by commission.

So there you have it, a brief introduction of myself and my concerns. I have searched through the forums and haven't really found any similar issues so if I offend anyone by posting a question that has already been answered, I apologize in advance. But I come to you all desperately seeking advice and guidance. Do I even have a chance at this or should I start working on another path for my career?

-AT3

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
AT3,

First of all, as an enlisted member myself...your post was extremely well formatted and to the point. A lot of personnel who post on here can barely put a sentence, let alone a complete and comprehensive thought together.

It seems to me like you have three distinct issues. Those issues are, EAWS qualification, break out for a favorable STA-21 write up, and attending college if you do not get picked up for any program. Here is my advice:

EAWS: This is going to sound rough, so please don't be discouraged. Ask questions and work harder. Ask questions...talk to your Chain of Command, there are bound to be multiple people in your situation and I'm sure they have a plan in place. Work harder...getting your pin on sea duty is very important to BIG Navy. It isn't easy, but the effort is worth it. Additionally your efforts will be rewarded and potentially get you some of that break out write up you are looking for.

Break out evaluation and write up: Get your pin. As I said before, the qualifications that you don't get are the ones that will hurt you in the long run. Work Center Supervisors and CPO's are very perceptive of the work that their personnel are doing. Take the leadership roles from the time you walk into your new shop. Learn all you can about your job and the jobs of the personnel who work above you and around you. Get qualified in every aspect of your occupation. Then volunteer for collateral duties that have a direct command impact and are in high visibility. Ones like CFL, training, or become a qualifier in your work center. For me as a leader, my go to guy isn't the one who can do his own job, but the guy who can do his job and every other job in the shop as well as teach a new guy what to do. Strive to be a mentor regardless of your rank.

College: Have you looked at ERAU (Embry Riddle Aeuronautical University)? When I was in China Lake, I went to ERAU and they gave me crazy amounts of credits for the training I completed in the Military. A couple of the guys I worked with got picked up for the flying warrant officer program as well as OCS. It sounds like your age is worrying you a little as well. Read all of the options in the different path to the officer community, most of them have waivers for enlisted time.

That is about all I have. You sound very motivated and can do anything you want to once you set your mind to it. Don't be discouraged by your situation or some disgruntled LPO/CPO who never followed there dreams or through on their goals. Find the way to get what you want while you are still working hard at your present job.

HM1 J.M. 'Pup' Pollock

Kelso

HM1,

Thank you for the sound advice! Getting advanced off of the test next month is my PRIMARY objective on this path (especially since I missed advancement by just 3 points in sept.) and second is to hit the ground running on my AW qual. Unfortunately the Kitty Hawk has an indoctrination program that lasts a month. Which has contributed greatly to my stress because there is so much I have needed to do and cannot because I am forced to sit through command indoc and prevent courses. So actually, tomorrow is my first day WORKING on the ship. I'm extremely excited to begin my work and I know I will shine in my shop because of my dutys I performed at my previous command. I just hope it actually gets noticed this time.

ERAU is actually the University that I would really like to get my bachelors from. However, I am kind of confused with the accessibility I have to their online courses(which is pretty much what I'm restricted on due to being in Japan). But I would love to begin classes with them if possible and do them while underway. So I will be looking more into that this week.

Again, thank you for the words!

-AT3

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like DocPup said, focus on your goals and you can accomplish anything.

1. Get your pin. You will never regret it.
2. Get your hand on the STA-21 instruction and read it front to back multiple times, then start building your package.
3. Study for and take the SAT/ACT.
3. Don't worry about the age, you can get a waiver for prior enlisted service....you just need to get your commission before age 30.
4. Apply then re-apply if necessary.

-ea6bflyr ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was recommended to this site by a Commander that was standing outside of the galley here in Yokosuka, Japan.

So now we have Commanders standing outside the galley recommending AW to whomever passes by. Wonders never cease!

docpup

What is another word for theaurus?
I forgot that part. Don't give up!!! The guys that I flew with as crewman who are now in the flying warrant track and OCS / NFO pipeline applied a total of at least 4 times each. One guy was on lucky number 7 for OCS. The letter they send you denying you OCS acceptance is a very well written "thanks but no thanks" though. I know a guy who framed his...

Kelso

So I just checked in today. And as I suspected I am unable to recieve my AW qual due to time in command restrictions. So I had planned if that were the case that I would simply excell with my skills as a technician. But I get to my shop and they have a worklog of 1! What the hell am I supposed to do if I cant work on quals OR run gear!? Any new advice?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I just checked in today. And as I suspected I am unable to recieve my AW qual due to time in command restrictions. So I had planned if that were the case that I would simply excell with my skills as a technician. But I get to my shop and they have a worklog of 1! What the hell am I supposed to do if I cant work on quals OR run gear!? Any new advice?

Take on additional responsibilities such as collateral duties: PFA Assistant, MWR, etc....

-ea6bflyr ;)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
HM1,

Thank you for the sound advice! Getting advanced off of the test next month is my PRIMARY objective on this path (especially since I missed advancement by just 3 points in sept.) and second is to hit the ground running on my AW qual. Unfortunately the Kitty Hawk has an indoctrination program that lasts a month. Which has contributed greatly to my stress because there is so much I have needed to do and cannot because I am forced to sit through command indoc and prevent courses. So actually, tomorrow is my first day WORKING on the ship. I'm extremely excited to begin my work and I know I will shine in my shop because of my dutys I performed at my previous command. I just hope it actually gets noticed this time.

ERAU is actually the University that I would really like to get my bachelors from. However, I am kind of confused with the accessibility I have to their online courses(which is pretty much what I'm restricted on due to being in Japan). But I would love to begin classes with them if possible and do them while underway. So I will be looking more into that this week.

Again, thank you for the words!

-AT3

AT3,

Getting EAWS is not that hard...really. You don't need to take classes. They help of course, but the material isn't really that hard. Good luck to you.

S.O.B.

pilot
I would say knock it out as fast as you can. Your package will look so much better as an AT2(AW).

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Kelso brings up a good question: how much impact do warfare pins play in the selection of STA-21 hopefuls? I too am applying this year for my first time and don't have any warfare qualifications. I was stationed on the USS Eisenhower as an undesignated airman (ATD) a few years back while it was in the yards. Prior to it making its first cruise out of the yards, I received orders to AC A school and am now on shore duty in MD. They (CVN 69) wouldn't let our command work on warfare pins due to the fact we weren't doing any deployments. Every post I have read on this website mentions how important these pins are and that almost everyone who is selected has them. Will this be a negative item about our packages?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kelso brings up a good question: how much impact do warfare pins play in the selection of STA-21 hopefuls? I too am applying this year for my first time and don't have any warfare qualifications. I was stationed on the USS Eisenhower as an undesignated airman (ATD) a few years back while it was in the yards. Prior to it making its first cruise out of the yards, I received orders to AC A school and am now on shore duty in MD. They (CVN 69) wouldn't let our command work on warfare pins due to the fact we weren't doing any deployments. Every post I have read on this website mentions how important these pins are and that almost everyone who is selected has them. Will this be a negative item about our packages?

When I went through NSI in 1993 (YES, I KNOW I AM OLD), almost everyone had at least one pin, but most of us had two. While it does add to your package it is not the sole reason for selection. The selection boards look at the person and career as a whole....and some folks have valid reasons for not having a pin, but their record must show that they are an above average sailor (Ranked EVALS, Community Service, Off-Duty Education, Sailor of the [fill in the blank], collateral duties, SAT scores, high school/college grades, etc).

-ea6bflyr ;)

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
When I went through NSI in 1993 (YES, I KNOW I AM OLD), almost everyone had at least one pin, but most of us had two.
-ea6bflyr ;)

Same thing going on 13 years later in BOOST. NSI had a bunch of booters without pins but they were mostly from nuke power school.