• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-10's For The Marine Corps

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Ok now I'm really going to jump off the cliff, why not bring back an old beast like the A-1 Skyraider? Could you imagine being on the receiving end of something like that dump truck of death? Now I know that the SPAD is long gone, but why not a shit hot turboprop that can haul a lot of stuff and have some serious loiter time? This looks cool...
EMB-314 Super Tucano

I think a Marine could plop this on an Amphib.

My flak and kevlar are on and I'm waiting on the mortars.

https://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/military/at-6_ab/

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Ok now I'm really going to jump off the cliff, why not bring back an old beast like the A-1 Skyraider? Could you imagine being on the receiving end of something like that dump truck of death? Now I know that the SPAD is long gone, but why not a shit hot turboprop that can haul a lot of stuff and have some serious loiter time? This looks cool...
EMB-314 Super Tucano

There are ideas floating around of essentially taking a turboprop trainer like the Super Tucano (or T-6!) and arming it to make a modern SPAD as a versatile CAS and recon aircraft for partner nations like Iraq. The appeal is that it would be cheap and relatively easy to fly - neither of which are considerations for the US.

The problem is that it's a niche COIN/stability operations aircraft, and really doesn't have the survivability against SAM's that jets do, and I don't think the US will be purchasing any aircraft in any significant numbers without a role in high-intensity warfare.

I wouldn't be suprised to see 6th SOS at Hurlburt fly something like that (they fly old stuff like Hueys in order to train partner nations who won't be flying the latest and greatest), but as a main platform for the USMC, it's too limiting.

Bolter

pilot
Anyone see those two sections of A-10s come into Cherry Point today around 1300 to get some fuel? Pretty freakin' bad-ass. However, without any type of radar on board, I would rather stick with what we've got.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
EMB-314 Super Tucano

The Super Tucano is used as a COIN aircraft. Blackwater operates a few of them from what I have heard or is in the process of getting them operational.

I think there's a T-6 in the works for COIN also. I wish I could find where I read that. Anyone have info on that?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone see those two sections of A-10s come into Cherry Point today around 1300 to get some fuel? Pretty freakin' bad-ass. However, without any type of radar on board, I would rather stick with what we've got.

Radar on the Harrier is a fairly new thing and prior to LITENING the non radar variant was much prefered by supported ground units due to having an LST. Radar doesnt really bring that much to the CAS fight.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Super Tucano is used as a COIN aircraft. Blackwater operates a few of them from what I have heard or is in the process of getting them operational.

I think there's a T-6 in the works for COIN also. I wish I could find where I read that. Anyone have info on that?

Only one SuperTucano has been bought by a Blackwater subsidiary, probably for evaluation purposes. Super Tucanos were also by the Colombian Air Force in the attack to kill the FARC leader Raul Reyes in Ecuador in March.

supertucano.jpg

http://www.economist.com/world/americas/displayStory.cfm?story_id=10808604

Greek T-6's have hardpoints for weapons on the wings for training, and Raytheon has proposed an AT-6 version.

https://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/military/at-6_ab/

Specification in PDF: https://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/military/at-6_ab/R0816AT-6_LithoUpdate.pdf

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No, it does not. But a radar, along with my RWR gear, will certainly tell me when I need to turn my ass around and run.

My old man flew the A-10 then the F-16. When you ask him about what he liked better he said he liked both. The only thing he said he would really miss about the F-16 if he went back to the A-10 is the radar simply because he says that it is really nice to know who/what else is out there.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It sounds like you've had some bad experiences as a FAC/ AirO with Harriers and our TOS! What can I say, we don't carry 10,000 lbs of ordnance and 30,000 pounds of fuel!

No more bad experiences than anyone else but I seldom give up a chance to smut another community.