• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A-10's For The Marine Corps

phrogpilot73

That post begs the question wrt the F-35B/C "missionized" gun pod. I had always taken that to mean that you could fly with or without the gun depending on mission, I wonder if that also means that one could cant up or cant down the gun depending on mission.
I doubt it. What I meant was that all that was required was a redesign of the pod vice a redesign of the aircraft.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
when is strafing first introduced to Strike Eagle dudes? We are taught strafing in the RAG and about half the time we went out to the range to drop ordnance, we were carrying BB's in our nose.

They may be doing familiarization these days in the B-Course (our RAG equivalent), but traditionally we don't fly around with hot guns.

Only when we are getting ready for a deployment to OEF/OIF do we spend a lot of time/effort getting good at strafe.

Again, strafe used to be a contingency that we rarely trained to, much less even talked about. In the last five years, it has rapidly become a main weapon for us during AEF rotations, necessitating continued training on it.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
A more generic question: how much trigger time do you get out of the pod on the A-10, Harrier, F-15E, and F-35?

There's no "gun pod" on my jet.

For the internal gun we have 510 rounds, which is more-or-less 6-8 seconds of constant trigger time (depends on if we're using high-rate or low-rate fire).

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
There's no "gun pod" on my jet.

For the internal gun we have 510 rounds, which is more-or-less 6-8 seconds of constant trigger time (depends on if we're using high-rate or low-rate fire).

Wow, that's not much to play with. Better hit what you are aiming at!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Then what are computerized gunsights for?
The computerized gunsights will tell you where the bullet will land.

Canting the gun up will allow you to hit targets at the same altitude as you without you having to pitch up to toss your rounds.

Canting the gun down will allow you to hit targets at a steeper angle allowing your dive to be shallower.

Clear as mud?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'm sure it's been that way since the beginning, but at least changing it wouldn't be a giant red-ass like other platforms. After all, a pod doesn't require a complete redesign...

Any maintenance/modification to the Harrier is a giant red-ass. I get your point, though.

It takes about a half a shift to get the gunpack removed, but about 2 shifts to put it on, depending on how long it takes you to get it high powered.

The gun has 300 rds (25mm), and with the new software and a Litening pod is very accurate A/G.

A/A...........not so much, but then again, I've never shot it A/A for real (banner shoot, etc).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least your sensor upgrade is as easy as changing a pod and doesnt take an airframe change and contractor infighting, our FLIR sucks.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The computerized gunsights will tell you where the bullet will land.

Canting the gun up will allow you to hit targets at the same altitude as you without you having to pitch up to toss your rounds.

Canting the gun down will allow you to hit targets at a steeper angle allowing your dive to be shallower.

Clear as mud?

Yeah, I speak energy-fighting.

I just didn't see the guy in the other forum bring that up. I thought he only addressed the trajectory-at-range issue.

Bolter

pilot
It takes about a half a shift to get the gunpack removed, but about 2 shifts to put it on, depending on how long it takes you to get it high powered.

Do our Marines have to high power the jet every time we load it with the GAU? If so, that is crazy. These are the things I wish I learned in the RAG :confused:

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Do our Marines have to high power the jet every time we load it with the GAU? If so, that is crazy. These are the things I wish I learned in the RAG :confused:

Yes. They have to muff wrap th GSOV to make sure it won't leak. It's a pretty quick run, but they sometimes combine it with a 60 hour vibe run to get more bang for the buck.

You don't have to do the run when putting the strakes back on.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Ok now I'm really going to jump off the cliff, why not bring back an old beast like the A-1 Skyraider? Could you imagine being on the receiving end of something like that dump truck of death? Now I know that the SPAD is long gone, but why not a shit hot turboprop that can haul a lot of stuff and have some serious loiter time? This looks cool...
EMB-314 Super Tucano

I think a Marine could plop this on an Amphib.

My flak and kevlar are on and I'm waiting on the mortars.