• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS 737MAX

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What do you 121 guys think of the hype around pressure to ground 737MAX (8's or the entire line)... members of Congress are calling for action. Flying public calling carriers and asking not to be booked on a 737MAX, etc. Bullshit?

When we had discussed the Lion Air mishap in another thread,

The problem was caused by faulty maintenance by Lion Air. They installed a new AOA vane for the Captain side and failed to calibrate it.

Every U.S. pilot that flies or has flown a 737 has said the first thing they would have done is follow the memory item for run away trim and hit the trim cutoff switches. Problem solved. I’ve never heard of anyone trying to correct an uncommanded trim input by using the trim switch. There would not have been a crash with a U.S. air carrier.

And we have a similar scenario in yet another airline of a developing country....

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Well, I'm going to wait a week at least. I can't argue with out facts. I'm sure the NTSB will quickly use the data from the FDR to test the hypothesis that it was a AOA vane/runaway trim scenario. We don't know at this point.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Seeing as how we don't know why the latest crash happened then we certainly can't know whether training was deficient.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I can say that having a guy in the right seat with 200TT probably wasn’t very useful.
Haven't been following the details so was unaware of that.

I’d fly a Max today and wouldn’t think twice about it.
Regardless of airframe type I'd think twice about flying on Lion Air, Ethiopian Air, etc. Just like I'd think twice about going to a hospital in one of those countries.

GroundPounder

Haven't been following the details so was unaware of that.

Regardless of airframe type I'd think twice about flying on Lion Air, Ethiopian Air, etc. Just like I'd think twice about going to a hospital in one of those countries.

I'll go in an and point out I would not mind riding in a 737 MAX on a western airline, but I would not want to get medivac'd by helicopter in any of those countries while reviving medical care on the way to the hospital.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can say that having a guy in the right seat with 200TT probably wasn’t very useful.
While that might be true, I wouldn't be surprised if that number is misunderstood and/or misreported. In the two articles I have seen reporting 200 hours total time for the FO, there was less then accurate reporting regarding the industry, regulations or operations in the articles. We all know that sort of thing happens when reporting on aviation or the military. It would be easy to see 200 hours in type, or on the 800 MAX, or since joining Ethiopian, misreported as 200 total pilot time. Question ( in English spoken with a thick Italian accent), "How much experience did the copilot have?" Answer ( spoken in English with an Amharic accent ), "200 hours". How do you think that would be reported? What do you think the spokesman meant? Any chance for misunderstanding?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'd fly or ride in a 737Max depending on the airline. Any U.S. airline in an heart beat.

There are many foreign airlines you won't ever see me or my family in regardless of the airplane being flown. Not any African or Chinese airline. Not Asiana or Korean Airlines.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KAL is all Boeing training by US instructors and Boeing factory procedures.