• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6 Year Old Trapped in Parent's Experimental Balloon

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My wife and I joke all the time about being "That Family on CNN" when our 3 year-old and 1 year-old get into shenanigans.

I.E. "Did you lock the front door? We don't want to be that family on CNN whose 3 year-old wandered 5 miles down the road."

These people are "that family"

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Fucking colorado....sometimes people here amaze the hell out of me. I'm calling shenanigans on that thing being able to hold a 6 year old child safely. I'm sorry, I've worked with small weather balloons and such in my engineering classes and I REALLY don't think that would safely hold that child.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Yeah. What a bunch of attention whores.

Yea I agree they are attention whores, but reality TV gives families like that a forum that they wouldn't have had when I was growing up. Back then they would have just been known around the neighborhood as the crazy Heens' and Falcon would have grown up to be a Naval Aviator.

Am I the only one who made their own black powder from saltpeter, charcoal and sulfur I bought at the local drug store? Hell I even played un-supervised in the woods from dawn to dusk. By the time I was 12 I never left the house for the woods without my .410.

I weep....yada yada

Edited to say the more I read the more I think attention whores doesn't come close to describing these people. They damn sure need to pay for this free publicity

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah. What a bunch of attention whores.

If it turns out this was some kind of stunt (even though it would probably be hard to prove), these fucks should be held financially liable for the various efforts that went into tracking this thing. To think that they could have attempted a risky airborne helo rescue with servicemen putting their lives at risk for nothing makes my blood boil.

Brett

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If it was indeed all orchestrated by the family, I hope they have to pay back every penny spent on rescue efforts, and some hefty fines for filing a false police report, or whatever else they can nail them on.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
If it was indeed all orchestrated by the family, I hope they have to pay back every penny spent on rescue efforts, and some hefty fines for filing a false police report, or whatever else they can nail them on.

I just saw that Inside Edition is doing a story on it tonight...should be a bit interesting. There are a alot of pissed off people around colorado talking about how it was a hoax.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The guy is building a machine that produces more power than it uses.

We have a real winner here.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Just saw the news covering this. That balloon didn't look all that big..... Maybe 20 feet across? I'm no engineer/math nerd but that doesn't seem big enough to lift a six year old who probably weighs about 50-60 pounds. Can anyone figure out if it's even possible?

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Just saw the news covering this. That balloon didn't look all that big..... Maybe 20 feet across? I'm no engineer/math nerd but that doesn't seem big enough to lift a six year old who probably weighs about 50-60 pounds. Can anyone figure out if it's even possible?

According to the Sheriff, they contacted a professor of aeronautical engineering at the local university in Colorado during the flight to determine how much weight the balloon could support. The numbers they came up with were that the helium filled balloon could in fact carry approximately up to 80 pounds and, according to the news conference, Falcon the Kid weighed 37 lbs. I wonder how much Bill the Goat weighs....

Clux4

Banned
According to the Sheriff, they contacted a professor of aeronautical engineering at the local university in Colorado during the flight to determine how much weight the balloon could support. The numbers they came up with were that the helium filled balloon could in fact carry approximately up to 80 pounds and, according to the news conference, Falcon the Kid weighed 37 lbs. I wonder how much Bill the Goat weighs....

But was it adequately constructed? All the same, they should pay. This is just another case of careless parenting. They should pay and maybe they will learn a lesson.