• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6 Year Old Trapped in Parent's Experimental Balloon

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
But was it adequately constructed? All the same, they should pay. This is just another case of careless parenting. They should pay and maybe they will learn a lesson.

If it turns out this was all just a hoax, then yea. But seriously? Kids do stupid shit all the time, regardless of how good a parent you are. I know I did. Didn't you? If you don't get into a little bit of trouble, you probably shouldn't be trusted anyways.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
If it turns out this was all just a hoax, then yea. But seriously? Kids do stupid shit all the time, regardless of how good a parent you are. I know I did. Didn't you? If you don't get into a little bit of trouble, you probably shouldn't be trusted anyways.

Sure, people--not just kids--do stupid shit all the time and sometimes it can't be prevented. But if you have a giant balloon in your backyard, then you need to take the proper precautions to keep your kid from floating away, just like you need to build a fence to keep your kid from drowning in a pool. If you don't, you should be responsible for the rescue efforts. If you did everything a reasonable person would, and your kid manages to dig a hole under the fence and get into the pool, then there is no foul. But if you should have known better and done better, then I think you should foot the bill for what happens when you didn't.

Hikers who wander off without the proper equipment and get lost are sometimes made to pay for their rescues. A parent who doesn't bother with the proper safety precautions should have to pay as well.

Clux4

Banned

If that was my kid I know what I would be doing. Some serious ass whooping.

When I was growing up, I had a strict father that would beat the hell out of me so that kind of restrained some of my childhood fantasies. I ran through my reward vs. consequences table and figured out what I could do and not get in trouble. But in the case of this family, the father seems to be the leader of a senseless pack. Can you imagine them chasing hurricanes around, so what do you expect from the kids?

America is suffering from parental delinquency and not child delinquency.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If that was my kid I know what I would be doing. Some serious ass whooping.

When I was growing up, I had a strict father that would beat the hell out of me so that kind of restrained some of my childhood fantasies. I ran through my reward vs. consequences table and figured out what I could do and not get in trouble. But in the case of this family, the father seems to be the leader of a senseless pack. Can you imagine them chasing hurricanes around, so what do you expect from the kids?

America is suffering from parental delinquency and not child delinquency.

The more I read about this guy and his family, the more I agree with this. Apparently the kids swear like sailors inside the house because the dad thought it would be hypocritical to stop them from using foul language since he swore.

I distinctly remember my old man laying into me with a belt asking me if "i was ever going to use that goddamn word again" when I dropped the f bomb as a 12 year old. I was never confused by the hypocrisy.

AJB37

This has really become a media shit storm. The Fox article posted above seems to try to dig up all the negative dirt they could on this family, it is really a bit absurd. It seems that because the family is a bit eccentric and has a history of participating in reality tv shows. There is really no real reason to believe this was a hoax. The media is just feeding off a public outcry that is based on the fact that this family really isn't normal. The sheriff will continue with his investigation and I doubt he finds this incident to be a hoax.

Personally, what I think is somewhat sad about this story is the media and individuals being critical of the parents. We really don't know what does or doesn't happen in the household, all the information released to the public has been hearsay. Child protective services has been called in to do an investigation, but that doesn't mean these people are bad parents or that the kids won't grow up to be productive members of society. I think it is kind of cool that the dad was trying to get his kids interested in science, especially when there are so many parents that seem to not be involved in their kids lives at all. I'd hold off on the parental critiques since we don't have all the facts.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm surprised no one's asked the obvious question...

What kind of asshole names their kid "Falcon," anyway?

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I think that it is going to come out that they actually thought that their kid was in the balloon. I know that they intended a hoax, but I don't think it involved the kid being in the balloon.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that it is going to come out that they actually thought that their kid was in the balloon. I know that they intended a hoax, but I don't think it involved the kid being in the balloon.

That's what I thought at first, but then it came out that when the balloon took off, the mother's first call was to the FAA, then the local news affiliate (supposedly because they have a News Copter), then 911. I don't know about you, but if I were calling for help in a panic because I thought my kid was in danger, I don't think I'd take the time to look up the FAA's number.

This was a poorly-executed attention-whoring hoax. I think ol' dad didn't quite realize how big this would get.

Calculon

It's Calculon! Hit the deck!
That's what I thought at first, but then it came out that when the balloon took off, the mother's first call was to the FAA, then the local news affiliate (supposedly because they have a News Copter), then 911. I don't know about you, but if I were calling for help in a panic because I thought my kid was in danger, I don't think I'd take the time to look up the FAA's number.

This was a poorly-executed attention-whoring hoax. I think ol' dad didn't quite realize how big this would get.

Yeah, if that's what happened, this was pretty clearly a giant hoax. Of course, after hearing about what ol' dads past was like, I don't think that thinking about the consequences is something he is capable of

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
picture.php