• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6 Year Old Trapped in Parent's Experimental Balloon

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I don't know the back story, but WTF.

f1h26h.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream4&iref=lb100

CAMike

None
Contributor
I have a little guy that age. I think we all should take a second and say a serious prayer that this little inadvertant aviator is able to get back on the ground safely. He's flying around 8000', cold and likely very scared. The finger pointing can wait.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
So, with the collective creativity and intelligence of all the Airwarriors on this board, any ideas how to get kid?

Some ideas:
1) TRAP the laynard like the CIA or Batman in The Dark Knight
2) Helo with a big net to grab it, but high enough from the net to not affect the balloon to much with rotor wash.
3) Helo with a PJ on a long hoist rigging to grab the balloon.
4)...?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Now can we start pointing fingers?

Clarification mmmx1: A 6 year old didn't assemble/build this balloon by him or herself. As a parent I can safely say that if I helped my child build something like this I sure as heck would have secured the Helium and or left it in a state where it couldn't have been inflated- accidentally or not. Kids this age are usually VERY curious and sometimes have initiative and enginuity that would surprise most non-parents. Knock on wood I've done OK so far protecting him.

I hope to God that this kid was in school and this is a reporting in error.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I am guessing that the kid accidently released the balloon and knew that mom and dad were giong to be pissed, so he ran off. Then he saw the police, etc., and got more frightened, and he's just hiding out.

That is what I want to believe.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I am guessing that the kid accidently released the balloon and knew that mom and dad were giong to be pissed, so he ran off. Then he saw the police, etc., and got more frightened, and he's just hiding out.

That is what I want to believe.

WOW- Your intuition is very strong!

Boy found hiding in attic- another mystery is history.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So in 15 years or so, he and his dad will laugh about this over beers. It doesn't get much better than that, all things considered. Good to hear.

Clux4

Banned
What a waste of tax payers money, the law enforcement presence all.....
Hope the County & State are charging them for this.