• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

5/5/5 good enough?

mid1510

All,

I am currently a 2/c mid at UF and looking to put NFO first for service assignment. I have a 3.1 GPA, Outstanding Medium PFA, good aptitude, and 5/5/5 on my ASTB.

My LT said I should be fine for an NFO slot, and only told me to retake the ASTB if I am 100% sure that I can do better (this would be my third time taking it).

I know this looks like a "chances" thread, but I am really just looking for other opinions from officers/ midshipmen who have been selected for an aviation slot.

Thank you.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
All depends on what they need but I've seen people get it with lower..you sound pretty solid, maybe bring the GPA up some but other then that it overall you seem legit

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
No, I don't want anyone in my backseat who can only get 5s. 7s minimum to ride with me.

Noone can answer this definitivelly.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
There's an entire scores/results thread for you to peruse to get an idea of what you're looking at.

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
Refer to the ASTB section of the forum, there's a lot of good gouge in there that'll help you improve your score.

There's also some books by Barrons and the like that have ASTB prep sections. Bottom line is...study. If it was me I would leave as little to chance as possible and a 5/5/5 is definitely not a standout score; I'm sure you can improve.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
All,

I am currently a 2/c mid at UF and looking to put NFO first for service assignment. I have a 3.1 GPA, Outstanding Medium PFA, good aptitude, and 5/5/5 on my ASTB.

My LT said I should be fine for an NFO slot, and only told me to retake the ASTB if I am 100% sure that I can do better (this would be my third time taking it).

I know this looks like a "chances" thread, but I am really just looking for other opinions from officers/ midshipmen who have been selected for an aviation slot.

Thank you.

How did you do the first time, and what did you change in how you studied to try to get a higher score the second time?

TheBirdy

pilot
Enough said, you will go far.

GO GATORS!

Ah yes, Go Gators. To the OP, you can definitely improve, 5/5/5 50 is not horrible, but it's not great either. I have all my study guides (I scored a 7/7/7 58). PM me if you want them and some tips, I go to UF too :D

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Th3HumbleMuffin and RAVENMkXV,

You two realize he isn't applying for OCS. He is applying from a NROTC aspect. If he has been a stellar student and stellar midn coupled with several other "whole person" categories then his LT is probably right that his scores should be fine. As Make Vapes stated no one can tell definitively what his chances will be. Pistol719 made an accurate statement as well that there have been several people selected recently with similar scores and several people in the past with lower. Too many people get wrapped up in ASTB scores or GPA. As a NROTC midn the board has a better idea of what type of sailor and individual he is then if he was applying as an OCS candidate.

To the OP:

Raven sounds like he/she is more than happy to help you work on the ASTB. If you search around here there is a bunch of ASTB gouge. But I would be careful in retaking the test again. You have already taken it twice. The next time you take it will be your last. Your scores are decent. Are they stellar? Not really... Are they good enough? Yes! Make sure you stay SH... Good Luck!

TBC

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
I know he was asking about NROTC, I'm NROTC at the moment myself. I didn't have stellar grades (engineering rocked me), but I did have good aptitude scores and "whole person" attributes. To make up for my grades, my best chance at getting assigned SNA was to blow the ASTB out of the water and I personally wouldn't have been comfortable with a 5/5/5. Yeah, he probably "should be fine" but I don't like that answer, especially if I could significantly improve my ASTB scores and therefore significantly improve my package. Get those scores up and you'll go from "fine" to "good" or "excellent."

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
All things considered though with that being his last attempt that's all about how froggy your feeling risking that last one

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your scores coupled with everything else should get you an NFO slot. If for some reason your GPA drops by the end of your Junior Year, you may consider re-taking the ASTB.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I knew a couple guys in NROTC who got SNA and SNFO without ever having taken the ASTB, much less putting either option on their service selection dream sheets. Granted that was 4 years ago, but it goes to show you that it all depends on timing and what big Navy needs. If you feel like you can do better the second time around, and you have time to do it, a higher ASTB score could certainly only help you, but it is impossible to say whether your current scores are good enough.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I can honestly say that my GPA, PRT and ASTB scores were below yours and I got picked up for NFO. Then again, this was 6 years ago. Good luck!