• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

45 Acp vs .40 S&W .. H&K .. S/A ... S&W??

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Oh, and I've owned an HK tactical and .45 USP. I got to shoot a couple hundred rounds through an XD when my dad was thinking of buying one and we both had the day off. So I have a little experience with two of your selections.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not heard much good on S&W autos, revolvers great autos not. I wish I had waited when I got my XD-9, I would have gotten the .45, have you shot the XD yet?

I shot the HK once, didnt like the feel but dont have enough experience to add input on that one.

Let me know how the XD is if you get it

haramitsu2112

HK Owner gouge

I own an HK usp compact 45. I special ordered a stainless slide so I could feed high pressure ammo through it. I will say this:
Accuracy- excellent :)
It sometimes feed jams if you do not maintain a tight grip :(
Balance - excellent :)
the bevelled slide and minimized hammer make it easy to conceal and draw :)
unlike the Glock, the muzzle jump is smooth and falls right back onto target :)
The exposed hammer, chamber indicator, safety, and hammer drop
make the weapon extremely safe :)
the composite grip holds the slide with 2 tiny steel posts, which do wear-
especially when usiong high pressure ammo :(
The slide release ejects the clip at almost any angle without binding :)
All in all, with over 2000 logged rounds through the HK, I was pleased with its performance as a tactical pistol, I believe for personal defense, assuming you are at least proficient with pistol shooting and handling the heavy, hard actioin of a .45, the HK USP compact .45 is better than the Glock for Urban defense.

T

TXHusker05

Just to get back to your original 3, I have never been an S&W pistol fan. They have never felt comfortable in my hand and I could never get in the groove of consistantly firing on target. I have a similar problem with the Glock although I own two that I can get comfortable with.

H&K and Sig Sauer are by far the best brands of sidearm that I own. I have a Sig P226, SP2022 and a P239 and every single one of them is very reliable and extremely comfortable to hold. The P239 and SP2022 are too small for what you are looking for and you probably have some experience with the 226. If you are dead set on a .45ACP, I would definitely go with the H&K USP Compact or the XD .45.

Plus, I think we all want to know how the .45 caliber XD fires... so you can test it out for us :)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
GDGarrick said:
I own an HK usp compact 45. I special ordered a stainless slide so I could feed high pressure ammo through it. I will say this:
Balance - excellent :)
the bevelled slide and minimized hammer make it easy to conceal and draw :)
the composite grip holds the slide with 2 tiny steel posts, which do wear-
especially when usiong high pressure ammo :(
All in all, with over 2000 logged rounds through the HK, I was pleased with its performance as a tactical pistol, I believe for personal defense, assuming you are at least proficient with pistol shooting and handling the heavy, hard actioin of a .45, the HK USP compact .45 is better than the Glock for Urban defense.

Reasons I disagree with you:

1. If the slide is the weakpoint in your gun WRT shooting +p or +p+ ammo, then you own a piece of sh-t. Typically the chamber or locking lugs on the barrel are the weak point. Any modern slide should be hardened sufficiently for +p+

2. Your limpwristing is just one possibly cause of FTF/FTEs, but I had a few FTF/FTEs with a USP40 I owned a while back and it was not due to limpwristing. Several others had the same issues with the gun, and it wasn't isolated to my particular gun.

3. My Glock has NEVER had any failure to function, AT ALL, and the vast majority of Glocks never do (so far I've logged around 3k rounds). Go over to ar15.com or glocktalk and look at some of the abuse tests guys have done to the two guns. Guess who wins every round. So ya... that kinda disagrees with your assertion that the HK is a better defense pistol. Also, I like how you think it's a better tacticlol pistol.... ok Mr. Seal. Also, lol "urban defense."

4. The only reason the HK may have less muzzle flip than a Glock is because it weighs a f_cking ton comparatively. The barrel axis on a Glock a lot less than a USP, so if you disregard weight, basic physics disagree with you. But, to call a Glock a flippy gun is a pretty uninformed opinion. Hell, even my buddy's subcompact 10mm has good followup. If the HK has such a better followup, how come you see virtually NO USP's at IPSC or IDPA events? Remind me which guns are used almost exclusively there? Oh ya, Glocks and 1911s.

5. No exposed hammer (or any at all), no safety, and no cocking indicator mean less to snag, as well as one of the most compact designs lends it to CCW moreso than the overly large USP.

6. The fact that you referred to a MAGAZINE as a "clip" invalidates your opinions entirely.

clipvsmag.jpg

Cheers.

/have owned HKs and Glocks

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
GDGarrick said:

Stainless slide has nothing to do with it. Stamped steel slides in older SIG P226s handled +P+ perfectly.

Then that's your fault. Why are you maintaining a loose grip?

I don't have a problem with my Glock.

Chamber indicators are bullsh!t and are a product of idiot legislation. Not a comment on you really, just on chamber indicators. Manual safeties on DA pistols are retarded.

Magazine. Magazine. Magazine.

the HK USP compact .45 is better than the Glock for Urban defense.

Good luck convincing seasoned people about that.

T

TXHusker05

I agree with everything Fly Navy said in response to that post. If the feed jams because of a loose grip... maybe your grip should be a bit tighter. If you can't grip it any tighter without it being uncomfortable, I'd recommend a new weapon.

I have owned two Glocks, a Glock 23 (.40S&W) and a Glock 32 (.357). They are both very solid and consistant pistols I have owned. As with Fly Navy and most Glock owners, I have NEVER had a Glock fail to fire. It just doesn't happen. One drawback of the Glock for me was that it didn't feel comfortable in my hand which is part of the reason I sold the 32. That is just a personal preference thing, I like the feel of Sig sidearms better than most.

As for the chamber indicators, give me a break. If you aren't capable of inspecting the chamber visually, you have no place in owning a firearm. I personally believe that it doesn't make your weapon and more safe than it would without it. A chamber indicator is just another thing that could mechanically fail while visually checking never fails. Just another politically correct legistlation that will end up doing more harm than good. People will be relying on the chamber indicator only instead of getting into the habit of inspecting the chamber.

Navy's analysis on the lack of exposed hammer is also very good and part of the reason I bought my Sig P226, the hammer is only slightly exposed and it is very easy to draw from almost any position. I just feel that the USP is too boxy and big for concealed carry, plus it is fairly heavy.

As for the USP being better for defense... ha, I don't think so. I can list about 4 different sidearms that are better for defense. Any Sig, Any Glock, most 1911's and the Kimber KPD.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A4s -

I recently shot the XD 45 and I have to say for the record that I was impressed. The recoil and muzzle jump was no where near the XD in .40 or 9mm. It is a pleasure to shoot and 14 rounds in .45 ACP in a grip that you can comfortably handle is nothing to sneeze at.

If you like the form and function of the the XD series this is the pistol for you. Beautiful.

You may want to jump on the XD forums at : http://www.hs2000talk.com/

Cheers!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bump

@A4s - Did you ever decide which to buy? I've been looking into the XD in .45ACP as well, wondering if you picked that one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ben said:
bump

@A4s - Did you ever decide which to buy? I've been looking into the XD in .45ACP as well, wondering if you picked that one.
Well ... I'm still not sure. I've got a .40 cal H&K P2000 V3 arriving Monday or Tuesday .... the V3 being a "conventional" DA/SA, which I'm comfortable with and familiar with --- SIGs, Barettas and all. I 'might' reconsider and go with a P2000 V1, 2, or 4 and the "LEM" trigger --- not sure. I think I'm going to stick with .40 S&W in the H&K. And thanks, "xmid" for steering me to the dealer.

I still like the .45 ACP XD ... looked at it again yesterday. 13 rounds of .45 ACP in a pistol virtually the same size as a .40 cal model??? Virtually a 9mm size and weight??? No question ..... yes??? I took a XD40 into the store and compared size ... in this case, size does NOT matter ..... :) .... virtually the same size as the .45 .... the .45 is "slightly" ... fractionally .... longer and higher than the .40. But my .40 is set up with Heine night sights and a drop-in BarSto .357 SIG bbl, which functions flawlessly. Lots of options, there .....

Interesting what the Chuckster says about felt recoil with the 9mm XD and the .40. I would have guessed in that particular pistol --- 9mm felt recoil was negligible ... then a tie with the .40 and .45 ... ???

I'll probably keep two and sell two .....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^^ .... Squeeze ... do you know what "size" this one is suppose to fall into??? I have not read anything on it .... USP?? Compact?? P2000 ???

It looks like a full size, 5" bbl, .45 .... ??? Where was the article ..?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A4s is right I should qualify my remarks about muzzle jump and felt recoil in the different calibers in the XD series. I went to a Springfield Armory "Range Night" and got to shoot all three. The 9mm and .40 just felt more sharp - but certainly less powerful than the .45ACP. The .45 felt "smoother" to me, that's all. A4s call outs are correct.

The whole "kit" that you get with the XD pistols is impressive. Holster, 2 mags, loader, mag holster, lockable case, foam inserts - nice overall package. Under $500 for the .45 and around $429 for the .40 is not a bad deal.

Chuckster

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's the new "HK 45." From the looks of it, it's a 1.5 stack (10rd) 45 that combines the USP and P2000 into one package complete with a 1913 rail and swappable backstrap. From what I've heard, it's going to be HKs service pistol contract competitor.

Don't know about the release date or the price, but I want one.

Lawman

None
A4sForever said:
^^ .... Squeeze ... do you know what "size" this one is suppose to fall into??? I have not read anything on it .... USP?? Compact?? P2000 ???

It looks like a full size, 5" bbl, .45 .... ??? Where was the article ..?

Due out either late this year or very early 07.

Capacity will be 10 for the full size and 8 for the compact, however the compact will take the full 10 round mags with the addition of a jet funnel.

Heres a picture of the full size. And also a picture of the full size and compact side by side. Judging from the relative size of the hands and gun Im estimating (I.E. pulling out of my ass) that the compact will be right around 4+ inches in BBL.

Attachments

• image57yv.jpg
    image57yv.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image36hi.jpg
    image36hi.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 119