• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

45 Acp vs .40 S&W .. H&K .. S/A ... S&W??

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Modern defensive pistol. 'Gonna buy (another) one ... soon ... any inputs??? :)

I've read all the reviews and am familiar with their "cousins" in other calibers ... but have not used the .45 ACP variant in any .... ergo, the request for input.

usp45c.jpg
GAxd45_122005A.jpg

Or ... should I wait for the S&W M&P in .45 ACP???

209000_large.jpg

They all work well, feed reliably, and do the job. I know as much as I need to know about the .45 ACP round. How about grip size, mechanical controls, concealability (sp?) , etc., etc.... ???

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flat out reliability, you can't beat a Glock (noticeably absent?). Love/hate ergos, but the function and reliability are not debateable. Triggers and grip angles are the main complaints, and of course the idiots who cry that disassembly requires pulling the trigger. Much better barrel axis than the XD IMO.

Price... in that dept. everything beats an HK :) but they are nice. A bit bulky for CCW use and the triggers are a love/hate item. I wouldn't mind one, but the price on them is ridiculous (HK nametag factor). The safety on a DA gun is goofy, especially when they offer it with a decocker-safety too. Good control set IMO. Grips are sandpaper rough, so be aware.

The XDs are very very nice. I was rather impressed with the 45 model I recently shot. Good grip sizing, 1911-ish angle vice the love/hate Glock grip angle. My dislikes of the XD are the small grip safety, stupid cocking indicator, the grip is a tad longer than I'd prefer, and the barrel axis lends itself to a flippy followup. Still a good CCW size gun and reliable as hell... so far. Lots of gripes about the sh-tty finish SA uses on them - definitely not of Tenniferesque quality.

SW... well... they have better reviews than other S&W autos, but that's not a tough feat to accomplish. I've never shot one, but they too seem to be a love/hate gun, with more haters than lovers.

/my .02
//is my Glock love showing that bad? ;)

Lawman

None
Out of the 3 you just listed, If I had to go out and put it on the credit card and buy a .45 today Id get the XD.

I figured as much as I love the USP I have a .40 and I dont have the need to identify my protection with the Caliber number written down the side of the slide. (If I want that I'll go get the .44 Mag Ive been drooling over). I do feel the same way with squeeze though about the lenth of the grip, seems like it would be a lot easier to print when carrying but Im sure proper holster choice would remedy that. More of it being more clothing restrictive then the other 2 in that arena but thats about it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
..... /my .02
Yeah, thanks, Squeeze. (should I capitalize that ???) Good input; what I was looking for ....

No Glock as I have a 19 -- basically like it --- it's old and I'm moving on and moving in the .45 ACP direction for my polymers since "they" are making them now in .45 --- used to have a 21 --- it and I didn't get along too well (grip too big for my taste --- the 21) .... ERGO :), I sold it. (BTW, you had me laughing on that one ..... ).

Price is no object -- not trying to sound like a smart-ass, but it's not a consideration.

H&K and price?? Is it kind of like buying a polo shirt WITH the "Pony" and paying 35% more ??? Rough grips??? I'll go handle them/examine them again @ the store.

I LIKE my XD .40 (got a .357 BarSto bbl and Heinie nite sights for it) ... but again, I like the .45 acp. Like you said, the finish is starting to thin on high points for no good reason.

Which one better bbl axis?? The Glock ???

S&W M&P?? O.K. ... maybe I'll wait and see ....

Perhaps I should wait for a SUB-compact to come out .... ?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pugs said:
From my experience with one it's tough to beat a Kimber KPD ....
Thanks, Pugs ... but I'm ONLY talking these three possibilities. I've carried a 1911 or smaller variant for over 35 years and own over ... well, a whole bunch of them ... just talkin' modern "plastic" pistols in .45 ACP.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
Have you thought about a Sig Sauer P220? It is chambered in the .45ACP?

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=37&productid=138

It is a nice weapon, I prefer the P226 but if you are looking for something for concealed carry AND .45ACP, a Sig is a good alternative.

Out of those other 3, I'd recommend the XD.
Yeah .... Thanks ... had a 220 ... sold it a long time ago to a local deputy. Great pistols, those SIGs ... but I'm lookin' for something "lighter/smaller" and thus, the "plastic" pistols. I tried to go a LOT smaller in SIG .45 --- a SIG 245 --- see if you can find THAT one, I don't think it sold too well --- I don't even know whether it's still manufactured --- but I found the "pinkie" finger did not fall on the grip --- problematical (for me, at least) when looking for a quick, solid presentation and firing .45 ACP ..... :)

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
In the process of selling my XD40 to pick up an XD45. The XD45 feels really solid in my hand. I don't know of any wearing of my XD's finish. I keep it permanently holstered in an Uncle Mike's nylon holster, don't have any wearing on it.

ATLien

Can I talk to you, Michael?
pilot
I'll throw in for the HK. I CCW a fullsize USP 9 and I'm 5'10 ~170. The dimensions on the fullsize 45 are similar but with a larger grip. They pack considerable firepower (12+1) so ask yourself if it's worth it to lug around that many rounds.

I personally like the sound of the XD45 too. I think they feel nice in the hand but have never shot one.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Thanks, Pugs ... but I'm ONLY talking these three possibilities. I've carried a 1911 or smaller variant for over 35 years and own over ... well, a whole bunch of them ... just talkin' modern "plastic" pistols in .45 ACP.

How about a Kimber Polymer Target? I choose that over the Glock. So far, so good.

Polymertarget.jpg

Stainlesspolymertarget.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
feddoc said:
How about a Kimber Polymer Target? I choose that over the Glock. So far, so good.
Hmmmmm .... Kimber polymer 1911 ... a.k.a. "plastic"??? .... don't like the target sights, but I'll check it out, Doc ... thanks. I always did like/trust a 1911. I just don't want to carry around all the metal of a "real" Colt.

The jury is still out .... :)

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I actually checked out a USP 45 today for the first time since I became (in my opinion) a serious shooter. Didn't really care for them when I first started shooting, liked my SIG P226 better (probably because it was cheaper, primarily), but after checking out the USP today, I think I'm sold. If I get a polymer-framed pistol, it will have to be a .45 ACP, have a rail, and point naturally. The H&K has/does all these things very well (at least for me).

I just took my girlfriend's brother-in-law to buy his first pistol, and got him into an XD45. Nice piece for a great price, but there were some things I didn't care for about it. It won't feed factory Magtech hollowpoints, for one, and for two, I don't really care for the slide-to-frame fit...a little too loose for me, and it rattles a bit too much for my tastes. Had the chance to fire some rounds through it, and it does very well with all sorts of ammo (other than the aforementioned Magtech hollowpoints...maybe they are just a bit too tall/long), very accurate, points very naturally.

Don't know about the S&W, but I'm not a big S&W fan as a general whole. Seems to be pretty similar to the Kimber KPD, too, almost TOO similiar. They almost seem like identical pistols at first glance. Kimbers are my favorite 19111, but the Kimber KPD will just be more money than it should be, most likely.

Just my two cents.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
metro said:
I actually checked out a USP 45 today .....
Don't know about the S&W, but I'm not a big S&W fan as a general .....
Just my two cents.
Thanks ... and since I'm lookin' for more "hands-on" .... appreciate it, metro. S&W has made some strides over the last year or so --- AMERICAN owned again is a big plus.

I have a licensed Walther PPK/S stainless --- that will not feed reliably with all three factory magazines --- back in Maine right now for warranty service --- they claim it will be "bullet-proof" (no pun) and function flawlessly when it returns. I have to admit --- their (current) customer service is 4.0. Let us see if their craftsmanship matches .....

My experience ... my $20 worth ... what the hell is all this .02 cents stuff, anyway??? :)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I think you guys need to shop around with the HK's. You can find good deals on them that make the price difference irrelevant. I used to work for a gun shop so PM me if you want me to see what I can do. My favorite pistol of all time is the HK tactical. The decocker and safety are an all in one switch reliability is unquestionable, and I have witnessed an army colonel do a 3" group with one at 100 yards. That made my jaw drop. I for one at least don't think you are paying for a little pink pony when you pay for the HK name, you are paying for one of the finest firearms money can buy.

As far as glocks are concerned, I'm not a fan. Sure they are reliable and I wouldn't be scared to carry one CC, but I don't like the double trigger and they just feel chunky.

The XD is an awesome gun. It feels good (to me) and it shoots very naturally. If you like the 1911 I think it will be a good choice.

I think the good thing is that you can't really go wrong with the selection of guns you are looking at. They all will perform extremely well. I would be happy choosing any of them.