• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
Come on, man. He was and still is a good guy, who really goofed up. Let's leave the Lead Ensign outta this one. ;-)

I've met Pete Lee. I thought he was hilarious. Just sayin', NROTC puts out some good talent, and if you check the trunks of their cars, you probably won't find a crowbar or some birdshot.

johnny utah

still bigger than hip-hop
pilot
He'll always be lead ensign in my book. Nice wings, by the way.

Thanks, tho apparently their powers don't work in Norfolk. When I asked for the keys, they just laughed and handed me a thicker NATOPS. Someone up there has a sense of humor.

dsevo

You guys are looking at this all wrong. I think having the tests re-written levels the playing field for future API students. I'd be willing to bet there were tests out there before this happened, and if that's the case and you are one of the people who didn't have the "good" gouge, you'd be at a big dis-advantage. I just finished academics, and never used the gouge once. Trust me, the material is not difficult, and I'd be happy about having a level playing field.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^+1 Everyone does stupid shit, just happens that the latest idiots weren't ROTC grads. I'm sure ROTC's time will come soon enough. ROTC=OCS=USNA=dumbass a-poolers.

You guys are looking at this all wrong. I think having the tests re-written levels the playing field for future API students. I'd be willing to bet there were tests out there before this happened, and if that's the case and you are one of the people who didn't have the "good" gouge, you'd be at a big dis-advantage. I just finished academics, and never used the gouge once. Trust me, the material is not difficult, and I'd be happy about having a level playing field.

Maybe. I hate cliches but I really do believe there are relatively intelligent people out there who are just bad test takers. Bad test takers can still do well on tests, they just have to study a lot harder to do as well as a good tester. API takes those bad test takers and makes them have to study so much compared to their peers that good gouge can be a godsend to them. Good for you for not needing it, but I know a couple guys who would not have passed the tests no matter how much they studied if it weren't for the gouge.

Some people just have trouble seeing through the bullshit trickiness in the questions, but are otherwise smart dudes/gals. And if you don't have the good gouge and are unable to get it by asking around then you are a douche and nobody likes you.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Here's the thing about "not testing well" - one day you'll be tested in the aircraft because weather will go to shit, you'll be low on gas, with limited options on how to get your bird safely back on deck. Or you'll be tested by going downtown on a mission with ordnance in the face of a known threat.

Regardless of how you're tested, if/when you fail you do so because you couldn't handle the situation. The consequences are just ratcheted higher and higher the further along in this business you go.

So I have little patience for "not testing well" and "checkride-itis." You either got it or you don't.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Here's the thing about "not testing well" - one day you'll be tested in the aircraft because weather will go to shit, you'll be low on gas, with limited options on how to get your bird safely back on deck. Or you'll be tested by going downtown on a mission with ordnance in the face of a known threat.

Regardless of how you're tested, if/when you fail you do so because you couldn't handle the situation. The consequences are just ratcheted higher and higher the further along in this business you go.

So I have little patience for "not testing well" and "checkride-itis." You either got it or you don't.

+1 If you want to do well, run the show start to finish and treat every flight like a checkride/test. Then the checkride is no big deal because you just execute what you have been doing for every flight. Never understood those who stressed to the point of vomitting over tests and checkrides.

As far as these new tests go...I failed FRR and still rolled out above a 50 on the api curve. Its straight up memorization and I would be willing to bet that even after rewritting the tests I could produce 2 yr old useful gouge to get through it. This is getting blown way out of proportion.

Something else that I have seen is that TRACOM and RAG skippers would rather keep a "C" student that busts his ass over a cocky A+ student that slimes through the program.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Ducky's right, what I have seen if your can't cut it in API, FRS will be miserable. I know guys that were hot shit through the vt's and in the rag can't catch a breath of fresh air. the present a-pool sounds like a pretty big crap shoot, but from what many aviators have told me, you can't expect it to get easier.