• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
As of last week the CO of MATSG has said that this NSS hike for API attrition is not applicable to Marines.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
They keep saying that it doesnt count for us and that we're not included in your score. I still hear conflicting word. Just do your best.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
except that this is the Navy and PRT's are the devil Bobby Boucher
View attachment 11506

I thought they were the "debol"!

Anyway I'm glad I was on the leading edge of this whole NSS hike, but at the same time I wouldn't have been too worried about it either. If I did my best and it wasn't good enough, ok. At least I did my best and have no regrets. If I slacked off or just blew things off, then I'd kick myself later for not putting the time in. If you really want to become a Naval Aviator, put the time in and do everything to the best of your ability! That's all you can do.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
This all happened before in 2005 to the FY '04 SNAs.
Rumor has it that YG04 is now undermanned for 1310s because the pendulum swung too far... (For those that weren't there, they also separated most attrites and DORs.)

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
My question is:

how does having a minimum score NOW change what you WOULD have done? There was a time you WOULDN'T have put in 100% effort? There was a time you WOULDN'T have tried to max the PRT? Prior to this you WOULDN'T have gone after 100's on all the written exams? All of a sudden because you HAVE to have a 43 NSS you're going to try harder? What sort of attitude is that?

43, 55, 70, whatever...The MINIMUM should not have a bearing on giving your maximum.

Did I miss who said something about "I'm only going for minimums"? Normally I'm the first to jump all over people for being lazy - but I don't see that here.

I can't remember what my test scores were way the hell back in API...but needing a 94 average is something people rightfully should be concerned about.

Where did your rant come from?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
There has to be a better way. Like putting people in the reserves until they're needed. Why would you can someone who is mentally, morally and physically qualified? It'll save you lots of time and money to furlough guys, and push them a year group. Especially if you paid for their education. And someone with a 94 average (or whatever the moving target is) is someone who clearly demonstrates that they have what it takes.

The more I type, the hinkier the premise sounds, but I'm sure there's a higher purpose that hasn't been revealed.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There has to be a better way. Like putting people in the reserves until they're needed. Why would you can someone who is mentally, morally and physically qualified? It'll save you lots of time and money to furlough guys, and push them a year group. Especially if you paid for their education. And someone with a 94 average (or whatever the moving target is) is someone who clearly demonstrates that they have what it takes.

The more I type, the hinkier the premise sounds, but I'm sure there's a higher purpose that hasn't been revealed.

Nope, its a manning issue and a force shaping tool to clear the backup in the pipeline. Doing well in an API classroom does not equate being capable in an aircraft... if things finish up like they did with the 04 crew they will end up losing more then they planned as this groups progresses towards wings.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It won't be so bad in the beginning groups, but things will get pretty bad by the end.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Yup, by making it an NSS minimum instead of simply a 90 or whatever required on the tests, it kind of creates a self-raising bar. If the first few classes meet the bar, the bar raises. If those classes meet the bar, it raises again. I shall henceforth refer to it as the reverse limbo.

Good luck, don't freak out, just study hard and hit the gym.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yup, by making it an NSS minimum instead of simply a 90 or whatever required on the tests, it kind of creates a self-raising bar If the first few classes meet the bar, the bar raises. If those classes meet the bar, it raises again. I shall henceforth refer to it as the reverse limbo.

Good luck, don't freak out, just study hard and hit the gym.

Won't be the last time that they will see this phenomenon in flight school

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's time to sign up for Vance so I won't be at the end of it. :-(

....or maybe not.

Maybe... especially if you can class up early enough before it gets bad. By the end of things in 2005, tail end charlie of the students not getting cut were getting sent to Vance anyways.