• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

43 NSS needed to get into Primary

NavyAv8

i actually got called to class up for api this week so i start in two days. I got word from a shipmate that is two classes in front of me that the new average needed to get into primary is a nss of 43 which requires an average of 93 or so on each exam. the prt and pt is worth 10% of the nass. and the other exams are worth: 13% (weather), 24% (nav), 15% and 15/16% (aero 1 and 2), 15% (eng), and 7% (frr).

everyone is working harder to ensure a spot in primary. i hope this can help everyone out. here is the link to the pubs, but i am sure that everyone knows where to find this. here it is anyway:
https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/api/api.htm
i hope everyone does well.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
Don't believe it at face value. Considering what NSS actually represents, that seems pretty stupid. Using a 43 NSS as a cutoff is the exact same as saying that exactly the bottom 25% is getting cut, regardless of their numerical grades on the tests. As an example, assuming the last 200 API completers had an average of 97%, everyone in the next class who had an average score below a 96.3% would be cut, ridiculous. Granted that example uses extreme numbers, it still illustrates the concept clearly.

However, considering:

.. everyone is working harder to ensure a spot in primary. ..

its fuction as a scare tactic sounds pretty effective. But then again, I've been removed from that scene for over a year, so maybe it really has come down to cutting a quarter of the pool, somewhat regardless of individual performance.

EDIT: My math on the 96.3% figure could be slightly sketchy, but since the error would still place it somewhere above 95.5% it still serves its purpose as an example.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
This all happened before in 2005 to the FY '04 SNAs. 42.5NSS was passing... by the end of the period the academic averaged needed to continue was mid 90s. If you have to go through with the current year group, its better to go through early while the average to get a 43NSS is lower. If things were like they were last time, the guys going through from the year group after the one they are trying to make cuts from should not have to worry about this. Also, if things go down the way they did last time, there also may be a few (there were 3 or 4 given last time) NSS waivers that the CO of NASC is willing to put in for students who get real close to the NSS when they complete.

How does that saying go again "The more things change..."?

Good luck, all of you will need it.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
The 43 NSS is very real. They are looking to cut at least 2 ENS from each API class for the rest of FY2010. Since everybody is studying up in fear of getting cut the passing scores are rising making it increasingly diffcult as the year goes on. The main thing that is seperating those who pass from those who fail now is PRT scores.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The 43 NSS is very real. They are looking to cut at least 2 ENS from each API class for the rest of FY2010. Since everybody is studying up in fear of getting cut the passing scores are rising making it increasingly diffcult as the year goes on. The main thing that is seperating those who pass from those who fail now is PRT scores.

Wow.... sucks to be you guys.

/slow ass runner

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

This worried me at first as I'm trending to an Ex-Low/Med-ish, but then I actually found out people were putting in Sat-Medium PRTs, I breathed a sigh of relief. Oh well, BOHICA...

NavyAv8

When it comes to the prt, I am only worried about the push ups. I don't know why but my tall ass can only do about 50.

The average score on exams seem to be high. I am still trying to get the recipe for scoring average to above average.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
My question is:

how does having a minimum score NOW change what you WOULD have done? There was a time you WOULDN'T have put in 100% effort? There was a time you WOULDN'T have tried to max the PRT? Prior to this you WOULDN'T have gone after 100's on all the written exams? All of a sudden because you HAVE to have a 43 NSS you're going to try harder? What sort of attitude is that?

43, 55, 70, whatever...The MINIMUM should not have a bearing on giving your maximum.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
My question is:

how does having a minimum score NOW change what you WOULD have done? There was a time you WOULDN'T have put in 100% effort? There was a time you WOULDN'T have tried to max the PRT? Prior to this you WOULDN'T have gone after 100's on all the written exams? All of a sudden because you HAVE to have a 43 NSS you're going to try harder? What sort of attitude is that?

43, 55, 70, whatever...The MINIMUM should not have a bearing on giving your maximum.

Yut, Devil Dawg.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My question is:

Kool_Aid_Man.jpeg

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
The 43 NSS is very real. They are looking to cut at least 2 ENS from each API class...

That might be something that the numbers average out to, but the CO told us that theres no mission to cut any certain number of people out of a particular class. Meaning if everyone in the class rocks every scored event, they wont cut anyone from that class.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The PRT should be like free points. You know exactly what the test entails---there are no surprises. AND you have months and months of doing nothing in A-pool to train for it. There is absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't be smoking it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The PRT should be like free points. You know exactly what the test entails---there are no surprises. AND you have months and months of doing nothing in A-pool to train for it. There is absolutely no reason why anyone shouldn't be smoking it.

except that this is the Navy and PRT's are the devil Bobby Boucher
waterboy3.jpg