• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ATIS

Today's DC based ceremony for #41 was just outstanding. The four eulogies were absolutely outstanding. If you haven't watched them...highly recommended.

Shout out to the folks flying CAP over the city all day today. Cloudy here so I'm sure their view sucked.

ATIS

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This kinda shit makes me go all misty. GHWB was a son of a privileged family - he didn’t have to go to
war, but he did. And at an age where it would’ve been easy for him not to go.
“He was man, taken for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again.”
Fair winds and following seas, sir.

robav8r

None
Contributor
This kinda shit makes me go all misty. GHWB was a son of a privileged family - he didn’t have to go to
war, but he did. And at an age where it would’ve been easy for him not to go.
“He was man, taken for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again.”
Fair winds and following seas, sir.
The PBS special “The War” by Ken Burns is really worth your time if you want to capture the motivations and desires of the “Greatest” generation. For many, their desire to join the fight was based purely on boredom, and wanting to do “something else.” For others, it was a matter of wanting to contribute and just “do something” against the evil axis. I am honored to have served in the same Navy as GHWB.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I think we would be remiss if we did not mention another WW2 veteran paying his respects, former Kansas Senator Bob Dole.

In 1942, Dole joined the United States Army's Enlisted Reserve Corps to fight in World War II, becoming a second lieutenant in the Army's 10th Mountain Division. In April 1945, while engaged in combat near Castel d'Aiano in the Apennine mountains southwest of Bologna, Italy, Dole was badly wounded by German machine gun fire, being hit in his upper back and right arm. As Lee Sandlin describes, when fellow soldiers saw the extent of his injuries, all they thought they could do was to "give him the largest dose of morphine they dared and write an 'M' for 'morphine' on his forehead in his own blood, so that nobody else who found him would give him a second, fatal dose."

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Bob-Dole-salutes-former-president-Bush-13442575.php

920x920.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard a very good commentary yesterday. Bush and Dole were not best buds. They fought a bitter primary. Dole didn't always support Bush's agenda in congress. This guy's take on Dole's salute was that is was one soldier honoring another over and above any personal animosity years ago. It was a professional honor. An acknowledgment that they were two of the last of their generation and experience to serve in elective government, a small club that made them more the same then not.

Pags

N/A
pilot
While I never personally got to meet President Bush he did send me a personal note for my wedding. I was married in ME and some of our guests stopped in Kennebunkport for lunch on the way up. While at lunch they happened to be seated near the former President. One of our guests took our wedding invitation over to him and he was gracious enough to sign it. The signed invitation became one of our wedding gifts that we got framed and has hung in our homes ever since

Attachments

• 289469010.png
    289469010.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
Last edited: