• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26 yr. old at OCS, too OLD?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's just un-usual to be a 26 yr. old Ensign pilot

It's not unusual. I finished OCS at 26. I was a 28 y.o. ENS finishing the HTs. Most of the prior enlisted guys at OCS were my age or older.

My advice for you is to work on finishing RTC now, then worry about OCS later.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I had 9 years prior enlisted. Winged the month before I turned 30. More and more SMA's are priors and older. I have seen some that are not priors but are still over 25+.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
On a mildly similar note, I entered college at 21 but with no prior service experience. I can't speak from a Naval aspect, but the extra experience I acquired has helped me succeed. At first, I felt a little put off at being that old guy but with no plausible reason, but quickly realized it makes no difference to retire at 43 or 47. Bottom line, it won't make a difference and in the long run it won't matter.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Shouldn't you worry about running better than a 12:30 1.5 mile before what might lay ahead 8 years from now? You're planning on getting your bachelor's while enlised, active duty? I'll be honest, it can be done and has been done but it probably won't come as easy. I can't remember a single one of my sailors getting theirs in 4 years. Several were working on it but with work-ups, deployment, busy schedules, it was tough. Of course a lot might depend on your job as well and sea or shore duty. My brother-in-law finished his degree (last two years of it) in the AF...took him 3 years to do it. He never left Texas in 4 years in the Air Force. Makes it easy in that case. Maybe some of our prior enlisted folks have a better handle on it than me though. I went straight to college out of high school, NROTC, etc.

satpak77

It's just un-usual to be a 26 yr. old Ensign pilot

Who is putting these negative thoughts into your head? Where do you come up with them? Because you just didn't wake up and decide one morning that "hey, you know what, 26 is kinda old"

Someone fed you this.

Who?

dudemack

I was 29 during enlisted boot camp. I will be 30 at OCS (fingers crossed). When OCS happens I'll tell you one thing, I'll be so fricking happy that I will most likely get beaten every day by the DI's to get the smile off my face. The age thing is going to be such a tiny issue, trust me.

ET3 Mack