• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26+ PRT standards at OCS

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I'm almost certain I know the answer to my question but I may as well just ask it and look like a nard now. I know at OCS we are evaluated on push-ups, sit-ups and running so should I really be investing any time into lifting? I just saw my friend midway through TBS in Quantico, (yes it is the marines but he claims he's always on the move) and he went into it a powerlifter and now he looks like a stray cat. I know the answer will likely be focus on cardio and if it is how much? I put in anywhere from 36-48 miles a week and plan to focus more on speed when I'm around 6 weeks out from OCS. Should that be alright or would mixture of running and lifting be beneficial? Once again sorry if I look like nardzilla.
In another section some people claim we won't run farther than 4 mi, and you work up to it. Otherwise, a lot of crunches, leg lifts, crab crawls, etc. 36 mi/week may be overtraining, depending on your physical fitness goals.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I just saw my friend midway through TBS in Quantico, (yes it is the marines but he claims he's always on the move) and he went into it a powerlifter and now he looks like a stray cat. I know the answer will likely be focus on cardio and if it is how much? I put in anywhere from 36-48 miles a week and plan to focus more on speed when I'm around 6 weeks out from OCS. Should that be alright or would mixture of running and lifting be beneficial? Once again sorry if I look like nardzilla.
Yeah, because USMC OCS is 50%running and 50% hiking, with plenty of hike-runs tossed in. Benching 350 alone doesn't make you do 100 push-ups, only pushups and other body weight excercises (eg burpees) help with that. Weightlifting is good cross training for OCS prep, but boot camp and OCS have left a lot of massive body builders in the dust because those candidates lack the ability to handle their own body weight for an hour or so. Just my experience, for what it's worth.

jakejake527

Keep in mind when you're training to make sure you're using proper form for push ups and curl ups. Especially for your in-PFA. If it's anything like it was when I was there, the chiefs and DIs will be sniping people for H-Class. I ended up in it, as a matter of fact, because the master chief saw my thumbs raise off my collar bone just a smidgen when I got a cramp doing curl ups.

And if you'll be going in the winter, you'll do a lot of running around the perimeter of the interior of a gym, so you may want to consider practicing running a little on a short course that require lots of left hand turns to get accustomed to it.
I'm penciled in for Feb 6th (winter). is the perimeter of the gym about the size of a basketball court or bigger? I've been running around a basketball court lately at the gym.

jakejake527

In another section some people claim we won't run farther than 4 mi, and you work up to it. Otherwise, a lot of crunches, leg lifts, crab crawls, etc. 36 mi/week may be overtraining, depending on your physical fitness goals.
::
leg lifts
scissor kicks
push ups
sit ups
planks
crab crawls

any other exercises that I should start practicing now?

thanks

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
::
leg lifts
scissor kicks
push ups
sit ups
planks
crab crawls
any other exercises that I should start practicing now?
Other moves you might do at OCS are bear crawls, in-outs (start in the push-up position, hop your feet up and forward bringing your knees towards your chest, hop them back out to the push-up position, hands stay planted throughout; similar to mountain climbers but with feet moving together instead of alternating), rifle squats (done in RLP, basically bodyweight squats while holding weight out in front of you with your elbows locked out, five pounds each should be more than enough since the rifle is about 7 pounds). That's all I can think of at the moment, you hit the rest.

Oh, and a note about sit-ups, be prepared to hold in the up position at the end during things like PFA's or mock-PFA's, i.e. at the end of two minutes timing for the sit-ups, the DI's like to go "STOOOOOOOOP" and they usually tell everyone to respond "STOP AYE AYE SIR GOOD MORNING SIR!" while you're in the up position, and they'll repeat STOP once or twice while they wait for everyone to get to the up position and respond appropriately.

Good times.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Holy cow, how could I forget spidermans? It's like a mix between bear crawls and push-ups, sort of. So you start in a bear crawl position, body low to the ground, with the left hand and foot close together and the right hand and foot further apart, you move the back hand and foot forward and do a sort of modified pushup, then move the back hand and foot forward again and repeat. You move forward very slowly, and it's usually done out on the football field and you'll do a certain amount of yards. If they want you to do that, they'll explain it better than I can on here, but we only had to do it once as part of regimental PT.

jakejake527

Other moves you might do at OCS are bear crawls, in-outs (start in the push-up position, hop your feet up and forward bringing your knees towards your chest, hop them back out to the push-up position, hands stay planted throughout; similar to mountain climbers but with feet moving together instead of alternating), rifle squats (done in RLP, basically bodyweight squats while holding weight out in front of you with your elbows locked out, five pounds each should be more than enough since the rifle is about 7 pounds). That's all I can think of at the moment, you hit the rest.

Oh, and a note about sit-ups, be prepared to hold in the up position at the end during things like PFA's or mock-PFA's, i.e. at the end of two minutes timing for the sit-ups, the DI's like to go "STOOOOOOOOP" and they usually tell everyone to respond "STOP AYE AYE SIR GOOD MORNING SIR!" while you're in the up position, and they'll repeat STOP once or twice while they wait for everyone to get to the up position and respond appropriately.

Good times.
thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

If anyone else would like to add on please do.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic

Good times.

The OCS guide says the curl ups are correct only when shoulder blades come off the deck--but do an applicant's forearms also need to touch their thighs?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Benching 350 alone doesn't make you do 100 push-ups, only pushups and other body weight excercises (eg burpees) help with that. Weightlifting is good cross training for OCS prep, but boot camp and OCS have left a lot of massive body builders in the dust because those candidates lack the ability to handle their own body weight for an hour or so. Just my experience, for what it's worth.
This is just bad gouge.

Your version of 'bodybuilders' are probably people who are actually fat, don't work out very often, and when they do workout have poor routines and/or don't really push themselves that hard. Because of this, they actually have poor overall fitness and poor muscular endurance.

I don't know of anyone who can properly bench more than 180lbs in a balanced routine, well below your 350lb benchmark, who can't also max the pushups portion of the PRT.

A proper weight training routine does help with pushups and often will achieve performance results much, much faster.

Jules_W

I'm penciled in for Feb 6th (winter). is the perimeter of the gym about the size of a basketball court or bigger? I've been running around a basketball court lately at the gym.

The OTC Newport Facebook page shows OC's running around on a two-lane indoor track, so it might be a little different from running around a court. Id say it looks to be anywhere from 1/8th to 1/4th of a mile in circumference.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Correction on the PFA. Out just has to be sats across the board. Super easy stuff. The biggest ones to worry about are the IST and the mid pfa. IST people will adjust or something on their push-ups and have to start over, usually not making sat and end up rolling. Those people usually don't have an issue with the run and make it through after their 3 week stint in h class. Mid pfa fails get comfortable with theit sat run times and have a reality check come week 8.

Weight lifting had almost zero bearing on my success here. Train planks, curl ups (pfa style), pushups, leg lifts, bear crawl, crab walk and suicides. Throw in a 3 mile run 3-4 times a week and you shouldn't have a problem. I think a lot of people get caught up in having to be strong in order to make it through, false, you have to be mentally and physically tough and learn not to give up or take the easy way through a workout.

See you all in pcola.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
The OTC Newport Facebook page shows OC's running around on a two-lane indoor track, so it might be a little different from running around a court. Id say it looks to be anywhere from 1/8th to 1/4th of a mile in circumference.
A standard outdoor track is about 1/4 mile. The indoor track is much smaller. I want to say we did like 18-20 laps and it wasn't quite 1.5 mi. Don't know if they fixed that or not.