• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26+ PRT standards at OCS

TBRaysluv

I am 26+. I am currently running a 1.5 mile at 13:26 with a mile and half warm up before (think running 5 min walking 1 min etc.). I was at around 12:30 for 1.5 with 4 mile non stop run/jogs before but had the great idea of running on a slanted beach and blew my knee. After that I didn't run for like 2-3 months finally started back again running averaging a horrible 10 min mile. I have worked hard to get it down to 13.5 min for 1.5 mi and think if my ass depended on it I could certainly get it down to the 12:53 good low standard for 26+. I understand though that I would be sleep deprived and dehydrated at OCS. So my question is what is the absolute worst run time I could have before going to OCS while still having a chance of making it through the course?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I am 26+. I am currently running a 1.5 mile at 13:26 with a mile and half warm up before (think running 5 min walking 1 min etc.). I was at around 12:30 for 1.5 with 4 mile non stop run/jogs before but had the great idea of running on a slanted beach and blew my knee. After that I didn't run for like 2-3 months finally started back again running averaging a horrible 10 min mile. I have worked hard to get it down to 13.5 min for 1.5 mi and think if my ass depended on it I could certainly get it down to the 12:53 good low standard for 26+. I understand though that I would be sleep deprived and dehydrated at OCS. So my question is what is the absolute worst run time I could have before going to OCS while still having a chance of making it through the course?
They don't use "Low" or "High" anymore, it's just Satisfactory (the minimum), Good, Excellent, Outstanding, and Maximum. If you can consistently get a Good (12:53 as you mentioned) before you leave, you should be fine. You only need a Satisfactory for the IST (14:00 for your age group) and a Good for the Out-PFA around week 9. And by that time, your time should be much better. The bigger issue I'd worry about is if running three times a week would be hard on your knee, because if it gives out again, that could be bad.

TBRaysluv

They don't use "Low" or "High" anymore, it's just Satisfactory (the minimum), Good, Excellent, Outstanding, and Maximum. If you can consistently get a Good (12:53 as you mentioned) before you leave, you should be fine. You only need a Satisfactory for the IST (14:00 for your age group) and a Good for the Out-PFA around week 9. And by that time, your time should be much better. The bigger issue I'd worry about is if running three times a week would be hard on your knee, because if it gives out again, that could be bad.
Cool thank you so much for the info my knee is much better. I am currently running every other day. Though, I try to only run on asphalt and not concrete it might only be in my mind but I feel like running on concrete is much harder on my joints (knee). Do you run on concrete at OCS?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Cool thank you so much for the info my knee is much better. I am currently running every other day. Though, I try to only run on asphalt and not concrete it might only be in my mind but I feel like running on concrete is much harder on my joints (knee). Do you run on concrete at OCS?
For us, it was mostly on the track starting out. We started formation runs later, which were on the roads around base. I'm not sure if they still do formation runs, I know they got rid of the carrier run, which was a 3 mile formation run at the end of Officer Candidate phase. And then once you become a candio, you take care of PT on your own.
Also I was mistaken about the Out-PFA. I forgot they moved it back, it's now around week 11 (unless they changed it again). They wanted to prevent candios from slacking off on their PT and diet.

TBRaysluv

For us, it was mostly on the track starting out. We started formation runs later, which were on the roads around base. I'm not sure if they still do formation runs, I know they got rid of the carrier run, which was a 3 mile formation run at the end of Officer Candidate phase. And then once you become a candio, you take care of PT on your own.
Also I was mistaken about the Out-PFA. I forgot they moved it back, it's now around week 11 (unless they changed it again). They wanted to prevent candios from slacking off on their PT and diet.
Cool thanks again! That was my other question with regards to my age standards and the formation runs. I have searched this but I can only find stuff from 2002-2006 on here. During formation runs what minute/mile pace do they keep since I would assume most people are in the lower age standards?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Cool thanks again! That was my other question with regards to my age standards and the formation runs. I have searched this but I can only find stuff from 2002-2006 on here. During formation runs what minute/mile pace do they keep since I would assume most people are in the lower age standards?
Ours felt pretty fast, probably around a 7 or 8 minute mile pace. Probably closer to 8, since there were one or two hills on our route. People would fall out every so often if they were having trouble keeping up, and the DI would basically run the platoon in a small circle to get them back in line. Although if a lot of people have trouble keeping up, DI's may RPT the whole group on the spot to mix it up a little. I was about a 12:00 1.5 mile when I classed up, and by the time we got to form runs I had no real trouble with them, so as long as you're in fairly good shape you should be fine, assuming they even still do them. They're obviously not ideal, since everyone has a different pace, plus running on concrete sucks.

Any recent grads out there who can confirm if they still do formation runs?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The "good" for the out PFA is an average score, not a minimum on each category.

I understand though that I would be sleep deprived and dehydrated at OCS. So my question is what is the absolute worst run time I could have before going to OCS while still having a chance of making it through the course?

You certainly won't be dehydrated, and you'll get used to the lack of sleep.

mitrokhin

Taking care of my own PT sounds awesome... can we use the gym at that point? And is there anything in the gym we should avoid?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Taking care of my own PT sounds awesome... can we use the gym at that point? And is there anything in the gym we should avoid?
As a candio, you'll be able to use the gym, unless anything's changed since I've been there. Obviously priority #1 is to avoid injury, so don't overreach yourself with equipment/exercises you've never used before, etc.

TnSig

SNA
Any recent grads out there who can confirm if they still do formation runs?

I only saw one company who did formation runs in the morning when I was there (just about a month ago). We never did a single formation run except for the "victory run" the day of graduation. Candi-o's also have mandatory PT with the regiment now unless you have a legitimate reason to miss.

Farmer Bob

Just a simple man.
I'm almost certain I know the answer to my question but I may as well just ask it and look like a nard now. I know at OCS we are evaluated on push-ups, sit-ups and running so should I really be investing any time into lifting? I just saw my friend midway through TBS in Quantico, (yes it is the marines but he claims he's always on the move) and he went into it a powerlifter and now he looks like a stray cat. I know the answer will likely be focus on cardio and if it is how much? I put in anywhere from 36-48 miles a week and plan to focus more on speed when I'm around 6 weeks out from OCS. Should that be alright or would mixture of running and lifting be beneficial? Once again sorry if I look like nardzilla.

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
I thought there were 4 PRTs at OCS. One when you get there with a minimum of "satisfactory," 2 more along the way with a minimum of "Good," and one last one to get out that required "Excellent." Is that just old gouge?

VoodooNova

None
I thought there were 4 PRTs at OCS. One when you get there with a minimum of "satisfactory," 2 more along the way with a minimum of "Good," and one last one to get out that required "Excellent." Is that just old gouge?

The website describe two fitness tests that have a "required" score. The in-PFA needs "Satisfactory" and the week 9 PFA needs "Good".

nf_utvol

Platinum Ensign
Keep in mind when you're training to make sure you're using proper form for push ups and curl ups. Especially for your in-PFA. If it's anything like it was when I was there, the chiefs and DIs will be sniping people for H-Class. I ended up in it, as a matter of fact, because the master chief saw my thumbs raise off my collar bone just a smidgen when I got a cramp doing curl ups.

And if you'll be going in the winter, you'll do a lot of running around the perimeter of the interior of a gym, so you may want to consider practicing running a little on a short course that require lots of left hand turns to get accustomed to it.