• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24MAY2021 Pilot/NFO Board

Mike D.

Contributor
Well fellas, my time has come, just found out my 20/25 in left eye isn't correctable. Gonna shoot my shot with intel. Wish all of you the best of luck, and hope to see you in the fleet some day!
How hard did you push on that? Did navy tell you that or your own doc

lsatfiend

How hard did you push on that? Did navy tell you that or your own doc

I had an issue at MEPS with depth perception, so I went to a private optometrist to clarify it. Found out that my depth perception is fine, but we spent a good 20 minutes fidgeting with different lenses on my 20/25 eye to no avail.

I honestly think it'd be a good idea for everyone to see an optometrist before they put a packet together to make sure they don't have any weird circumstances that they don't check for at MEPS (astigmatism, uncorrectable vision). Better to find out sooner rather than later I guess.

Mike D.

Contributor
I had an issue at MEPS with depth perception, so I went to a private optometrist to clarify it. Found out that my depth perception is fine, but we spent a good 20 minutes fidgeting with different lenses on my 20/25 eye to no avail.

I honestly think it'd be a good idea for everyone to see an optometrist before they put a packet together to make sure they don't have any weird circumstances that they don't check for at MEPS (astigmatism, uncorrectable vision). Better to find out sooner rather than later I guess.
Yeah I agree man. That’s a good idea. Went to an optometrist for the first time in my life a week ago just to be sure. Navy also looks for and cares about freckles in your eye for whatever reason. regardless I’m sorry to hear the news. I’d get a second opinion if I were you and really wanted to fly. Best of luck to you in whichever board you get a kit in for

luckynumbr27

After I went to MEPS, I went to an ophthalmologist to have my eyes verified professionally.

While I did clear MEPS and N3M for pilot, my eyes were actually better than what MEPS reported. I’d recommend having a pro look at your eyes, not settled with MEPS.
I second this point. Push hard past what meps tells you, especially if they say you have a disqualifier. They told me that I had 20/25 in my right eye, luckily correctable to 20/20, but “just barely.” I knew this to be a crock of crap since I’ve had LASEK and was just at my private optometrist for a checkup 2 weeks earlier and read the 20/15 line with both eyes and needed no correction whatsoever. I asked if I could do the test again while I was there in meps since, while it was still a passing score, I knew I could do better and wanted to stay far away from the cutoff line but they said no.

WannaFlyHigh

Thanks brotha, definitely bummed but I feel blessed I found out now vs. getting the dreaded NAMI whammy

Negative as far as I know.
Highly Highly recommend asking your recruiter to schedule you a retest. I had failed DP at MEPS and my recruiter scheduled a retest with Navy civilian Doc at a NWS near me and I passed with no problems. One thing I learned in this whole process is to exhaust every viable option available before switching gears. Wish you the best regardless, and keep us updated!

Mike D.

Contributor
Highly Highly recommend asking your recruiter to schedule you a retest. I had failed DP at MEPS and my recruiter scheduled a retest with Navy civilian Doc at a NWS near me and I passed with no problems. One thing I learned in this whole process is to exhaust every viable option available before switching gears. Wish you the best regardless, and keep us updated!
1000%

Tgonzo29

Hey Guys,

Wishing everybody the best of luck. Back to the board for the second time.

Here are my stats:
ASTB: 50 7/9/7 (2nd attempt)
Degree: B.A Communications
GPA: 2.6
Flight: Commercial Single, CFI checkride this month (hopefully in time for the board)
Experience: 355 Flight Hours

Cheers!

goldengate

Pro Rec Y NFO OCS 25-Sep-2022
Hey everyone, first time posting!

Applying for SNFO only.

Stats:
ASTB: 50 5/7/6 (1st attempt)
Degree: B.A. Architecture
GPA: 3.01
Flight Experience: None
Waivers: None
LORS: O-8 (retired), O-6, O-5 (former Naval flight instructor), division 1 head coach
Education: Top 25 ranked national university (U.S. News & World Report)
Experience: Division 1 collegiate athlete, team captain, training vice president and creative media manager for a collegiate sports team, architecture internship at well-known firm (worked overseas), hundreds of volunteer hours, orientation leader

Wishing you all the best of luck at this upcoming board!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

First time posting here. I'm shooting to get my packet in for the April 9th board but still haven't gotten an appointment with Denver, CO MEPS. My recruiter has been on top of everything and very communicative with me so I'm feeling pretty lucky. He's said that MEPS should clear my paperwork by the 15th of March and that should give me enough time to get an appointment and submit for April (I have everything ready to go besides the MEPS checkoff).

Is that enough time for MEPS to turnaround my paperwork assuming everything goes smoothly?

Mike D.

Contributor
Good question. When I went to MEPS in Indiana, we got results just a couple days later. When I tried to go in Florida...completely different story...took months to get in to MEPS and a few weeks for MEPS to give results to my recruiter...point is, I think it depends on how busy your MEPS is!
I hope it’s enough time for your package.