• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24 June 06

bbell

I received my final select yesterday for Information Warfare and an OCS date of 24 Jun 06. That makes 2 of the 22 currently assigned to our class accounted for. We need to find our other shipmates!

Cheers

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Just got the call this morning, I'm slated to report for June 24. See you guys in p'cola!

UCICEC

Does anyone know what class will be the first to go to Newport? I heard that this class will be staying in Pensacola but will the next class be in Newport? Also, if the move is inbetween two classes will they move the current class or just start the next class in Newport?

I'm interested to know because I need to decide whether or not to stay in this class or not. I would have 6 days between graduation and class date to pack up and get from CA to FL and was thinking of possibly pushing back the date. I just want to get an idea of what I am looking at if I do move the date back... plus does anyone know the next class date? (Two weeks later? = 8 JULY?)

Thanks

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
My paperwork said NAS p-cola, I'm not sure about where later classes will be located. I'm guessing there'll be somewhat of a transition to cover rollbacks and such. According to another thread in this forum, August 19 is the first class in Newport.

As far as a move from CA to FL, put your stuff in storage and let the Navy pay to move it after commissioning. I'm taking 3 days just to drive to FL from Connecitcut, not counting time to move stuff out from my apartment at school or anything else.

UCICEC

I think I will be storing most of my belongings in a storage facility here in CA while I am at OCS.

Do you know how much the Navy covers as far as the storage rates are concerned? Is there a monthly maximum or will they simply reimburse you for your expenses? Also, when would you get this allowance (before, during or after OCS)?

(BTW, I am a BDCPer if that matters.)

UCICEC

Also, Ive decided that I will be staying in this class. Knowing this I will make sure to be packed up and ready before I graduate. I graduate the 18th of JUN. If I leave for FL on the 19th that gives me 6 days total to get there by the 24th. Mapquest quotes the distance at 2,125 mi and that gives me an average of 350 mi/day which is completely doable especially since I will have my girlfriend along to share the drive with. I could probably get there in 5 and a half days.

Are you guys planning on getting there a day or two early?

bbell

At this point I plan on arriving in Pensacola around mid-day on Saturday the 24th.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Navy pays for storage. If you're married, your dependants can stay where they are and draw that area's BAH. Otherwise, the single guy in the Navy tends to get the shaft for things like this.

As for driving, 5 1/2 days is more than enough time for you to get down there. I drove from Orlando to San Diego in 3.5 days (arrived on the fourth day). I-10 all the way.

jmiller82

Thisguy said:
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Navy pays for storage. If you're married, your dependants can stay where they are and draw that area's BAH. Otherwise, the single guy in the Navy tends to get the shaft for things like this.

Actually, There is a predetermined amount per month a dependent/spouse can receive while their sponsor (you) are at OCS. The Family Seperation Allowance (FSA) is $250 per month, as long as your dependent/spouse does not reside in the Pensacola area. I think there's a blurb about it on the OCS - Pensacola official website or at the DOD Pay official website. On another note, I was told by the recruiter that once in OCS, you will draw pay as an E-5 until you are commissioned (roughly 13 weeks), at which time you will begin to draw as an O-1. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I haven't verified it yet..

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
j_m74 said:
Actually, There is a predetermined amount per month a dependent/spouse can receive while their sponsor (you) are at OCS. The Family Seperation Allowance (FSA) is $250 per month, as long as your dependent/spouse does not reside in the Pensacola area. I think there's a blurb about it on the OCS - Pensacola official website or at the DOD Pay official website. On another note, I was told by the recruiter that once in OCS, you will draw pay as an E-5 until you are commissioned (roughly 13 weeks), at which time you will begin to draw as an O-1. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I haven't verified it yet..

FSA is only received after 30 days of separation. I'm not sure what you were trying to point out, I was simply saying that you won't be directly compensated for storage. If you're single, you won't receive BAH because you're residing in gov't quarters for the duration of OCS. If you're married, you'll receive BAH for wherever your dependants are.

bbell

I'm compiling a contact list for all members of class 18-06 reporting on 24 JUN 06. Please send me your info. if you have yet to do so.

Cheers