• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

24 AUG 15 SWO OCS BOARD

Signup15

Take the GRE or something to practice test taking under time pressure or significantly change your study habits. I've seen people get in with lower scores/GPA but they all had STEM degrees. I'll say risk it or go home. I just started a new position as an Investment Banker at Goldman Sachs shortly before the results came out... if I break something in OCS I'm finished. hope I'm not nuking this but your best bet is to retest.

SRGWML

I agree with @Signup15, practice taking tests and check out Google+Amazon for study material.

My biggest fear like @Signup15 is breaking something at OCS. For that reason I am running as much as possible and trying to max out my PFA score before that date.

Life is a gamble. Take the risk, play your best cards, and pray to God that you win.

Outdoorsman

I agree with @Signup15, practice taking tests and check out Google+Amazon for study material.

My biggest fear like @Signup15 is breaking something at OCS. For that reason I am running as much as possible and trying to max out my PFA score before that date.

Life is a gamble. Take the risk, play your best cards, and pray to God that you win.

I'm also concerned about breaking something / injuring myself before showing up. But yeah injury is the only thing I'm really worried about before or during OCS. I've been taking things slow before hand to minimize injury. I'm sitting around good's for pushups and curl ups and I can hit the excellent for running. Always going for higher of course. Obviously I'm trying to get as best scores as I can before I show up. At the moment I do 2 days of full body strength training at the gym, one "test day" of a shit load of push ups and curl ups and at least 2 days a week of running 2-3 miles. I know I'm good with the run times for the PRT I just want to avoid shin splints at all costs. Working on ramping that up to at least 3 days while I'm waiting for FINSEL.

One thing I am a little concerned about is my weight. Throughout the prep I've lost ~25 pounds and for a guy between 5'10 and 5'11 I'm sitting at 156 pounds as of this morning. I'm wondering if that's too light and I'm not getting the full benefit of my workouts because I'm not eating enough or something. My diet consists pretty much consists of

breakfast: 3 eggs + english muffin
snack: protein bar, some nuts
lunch: 3 small strips of chicken with side of mixed vegetables
dinner: random meat or pasta

I've eliminated all beverages besides water, milk, sometimes orange juice and several cups of black coffee from my diet.

Any advice? Do I seem to be on the right track here?

SRGWML

I'm also concerned about breaking something / injuring myself before showing up. But yeah injury is the only thing I'm really worried about before or during OCS. I've been taking things slow before hand to minimize injury. I'm sitting around good's for pushups and curl ups and I can hit the excellent for running. Always going for higher of course. Obviously I'm trying to get as best scores as I can before I show up. At the moment I do 2 days of full body strength training at the gym, one "test day" of a shit load of push ups and curl ups and at least 2 days a week of running 2-3 miles. I know I'm good with the run times for the PRT I just want to avoid shin splints at all costs. Working on ramping that up to at least 3 days while I'm waiting for FINSEL.

One thing I am a little concerned about is my weight. Throughout the prep I've lost ~25 pounds and for a guy between 5'10 and 5'11 I'm sitting at 156 pounds as of this morning. I'm wondering if that's too light and I'm not getting the full benefit of my workouts because I'm not eating enough or something. My diet consists pretty much consists of

breakfast: 3 eggs + english muffin
snack: protein bar, some nuts
lunch: 3 small strips of chicken with side of mixed vegetables
dinner: random meat or pasta

I've eliminated all beverages besides water, milk, sometimes orange juice and several cups of black coffee from my diet.

Any advice? Do I seem to be on the right track here?

You're pretty much doing the same thing I'm doing :) I've got to work on getting my run for the 1.5 faster and of course ability to run 3-5 miles no problem.

I mean you can show up unprepared and they'll get you there, but that's only intensifying the ordeal.

Outdoorsman

What do you guys consider good/excellent run times?

I've been basing it on these for my age bracket: http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard/25-29.html. Whether or not these are up to date / official is another story, but it seems consistent with other standards I've seen. I haven't been too worried if its exactly right because I'm just using it as a tool to judge the progress I'm making rather than trying to hit a specific number. However, if somebody can confirm these are correct / has the current standards that would be appreciated as well.

banjosquirrel

Well, after missing the March board by a number of hours and the June board being cancelled, I found out this past week that my recruiter did not submit my kit for this board! He never called me back so I contacted a different recruiter (I've moved quite a distance since the process started) and when she started trying to transfer my files to her, she found out that none of my file had ever been submitted to an actual board and was not even up-to-date. Sigh. I guess I'll just keep waiting! Good luck to everyone who received a Pro-Y!

csabol

I've been basing it on these for my age bracket: http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard/25-29.html. Whether or not these are up to date / official is another story, but it seems consistent with other standards I've seen. I haven't been too worried if its exactly right because I'm just using it as a tool to judge the progress I'm making rather than trying to hit a specific number. However, if somebody can confirm these are correct / has the current standards that would be appreciated as well.

Yup, that is accurate.

Signup15

I don;t know about OCS but when I was in Navy Basic Training, the run time was not based on the age bracket. They set a higher standard across the board for everyone. I was told the same would be true for OCS.

SharkBait

when I went through boot camp you were not allowed to score "sat" but had to get atleast a good, is that what you are talking about?
I don;t know about OCS but when I was in Navy Basic Training, the run time was not based on the age bracket. They set a higher standard across the board for everyone. I was told the same would be true for OCS.

Signup15

That may be the case but everyone had a baseline run-time goal of a certain number of minutes and If you did not make it, you failed. I was 19 at the time but others with the same standard were upwards of 39 and one reserve guy was 41. All in all. my goal is to do the 1.5 in under 10min.

nrodda90

SWOtivated
when I went through boot camp you were not allowed to score "sat" but had to get atleast a good, is that what you are talking about?
At OCS you will have 4 required PFA's. Your first being the IST (initial strength test), the the NPFA, the MidPFA, and then OutPFA. You must obtain a SAT for the IST, a SAT for the NPFA, a GOOD for the MidPFA, and a SAT for the OutPFA. The OutPFA will be the PFA they use for your official score leaving OCS.

Y'all are swo accepted this past August board too? I'm looking forward to going to ocs now. I'm in FINSEL purgatory.Anyone else like that here? Is it just out designation that is being left on the dark?