• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

Josh King

Hi everyone!

I'll be submitting to this board as well, but I'm about to retake the ASTB near the end of this month.

Applying: SNA Only
GPA: 3.26
Major: B.S. Geology, Leadership Minor.
ASTB: 48/4/6/5

I was told from my recruiter that I was at a 75% for select score for SNA with what I have, but I clearly understand that the scores need to be higher.
Are the selection rates going up?

MadHatter

pilot
Does anyone have the actual calculator? I’m confused on how it works I though it was just adding your OAR, AQR and NA OR NFO Score.

The calculator is only accessed by your recruiter. Or since you're active duty, I guess it would be whoever is handling your packet. They put in your GPA, OAR, and ASTB scores and it spits out a number. There's a screenshot of the calculator in one of the pages around January, I think maybe "What NRD considers competitive". As far as selection rates, I'm not for sure, but it looks like most from the last board we're prorec-ed.

Last edited:

Matty Morocco

Ultimately, even though we're in an "auto-select" period, I wouldn't count on anything until you have a Pro-Rec Y and your FINSEL in your hands. I think there's a danger of getting carried away with this auto-select thing. Count on your packet going to the board even if your calculator score is 95, because nothing is guaranteed until it is, right? Get your scores up, get a LOR or two, and engage your recruiter. For most of us, repairing a GPA is very difficult/expensive/time consuming, so focus your efforts where you can.

Also I fixed some of the charts and averages on the spreadsheet that weren't showing up. Here's a link to the sheet for those too lazy to look back a page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S2YsEO8Y3FWTF9T0ZefBpV78bDdqFfyWf-1vPqw-I_Y/edit?usp=sharing

mke07

Are the selection rates going up?
No. What you see on the spreadsheets here is not representative of the whole picture. Over 300 people applied to the last board. I'm not sure what the pilot acceptance rate was but the NFO rate was 71 percent which is down from the October board.

Josh King

No. What you see on the spreadsheets here is not representative of the whole picture. Over 300 people applied to the last board. I'm not sure what the pilot acceptance rate was but the NFO rate was 71 percent which is down from the October board.
Ok. That’s still really good.

CHL

My package has a few complications (LASIK waiver, ACL waiver, MEPS-to-MEPS transfer, etc.). My recruiter says it's too early to submit, but I'd like to get out in front of any potential issues if at all possible.

Is there any reason to not go ahead and submit? If not, any advice for navigating that conversation with my recruiter?

MadHatter

pilot
My package has a few complications (LASIK waiver, ACL waiver, MEPS-to-MEPS transfer, etc.). My recruiter says it's too early to submit, but I'd like to get out in front of any potential issues if at all possible.

Is there any reason to not go ahead and submit? If not, any advice for navigating that conversation with my recruiter?

My processor submitted mine last week. I would recommend trying to get it in early, because there more than likely will be a hiccup. There were about 4 times when my recruiter said "this should be the last thing" and he'd send it to the processor and they'd send it back needing more paperwork finished up, or documents/license scanned over. Of course it didn't take long to finish up, but still. I'd just ask him if there's any specific reason he doesn't want to submit early.

Reactions: CHL

Cmonster23

Looking back at the Feb 7 Board thread, I see that the auto qual/early select guys were receiving their PRORECs basically on the board date. Does anybody know if that's a good standard timeline to be anticipating? I know that the Feb board was one of the first boards to implement the new procedure so I don't know if that date will be changed at all.

Daniel Morales

Hi everyone!

I'll be submitting to this board as well, but I'm about to retake the ASTB near the end of this month.

Applying: SNA Only
GPA: 3.26
Major: B.S. Geology, Leadership Minor.
ASTB: 48/4/6/5

I was told from my recruiter that I was at a 75% for select score for SNA with what I have, but I clearly understand that the scores need to be higher.
Finally I see another geology major on here!!

Matty Morocco

Looking back at the Feb 7 Board thread, I see that the auto qual/early select guys were receiving their PRORECs basically on the board date. Does anybody know if that's a good standard timeline to be anticipating? I know that the Feb board was one of the first boards to implement the new procedure so I don't know if that date will be changed at all.
My recruiter asked around and learned that the auto-select prorecs go into effect on the day of the board.

admastro94

My OR seems to think there will be a early-select "mini-board" in the month of March if there are enough candidates that qualify for the early-select and want to ship before the May board. This is not confirmed but seems to be a possibility

agriz33

My OR seems to think there will be a early-select "mini-board" in the month of March if there are enough candidates that qualify for the early-select and want to ship before the May board. This is not confirmed but seems to be a possibility
Mine mentioned sort of the same thing. He didn't know too much about it but we got everything submitted a couple days ago in preparation for an earlier board.