• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

Fifrein

Still Learning
I guess it does look iffy with the same board. But better to try reapplying as SNA only rather than taking a long ass commitment in a designator you're not interested in.

I suppose that makes sense too. I’m geared to suck it up and keep going, and there’s nothing I can do right now to change what the board reviews.

The problem arises because this board happens literally the day after I walk up that red carpet for my degree. I’ve got a stable job now, but I don’t really wanna be in purgatory waiting for the Reapp to go though.

aribjc

I suppose that makes sense too. I’m geared to suck it up and keep going, and there’s nothing I can do right now to change what the board reviews.

The problem arises because this board happens literally the day after I walk up that red carpet for my degree. I’ve got a stable job now, but I don’t really wanna be in purgatory waiting for the Reapp to go though.
I think I've seen a couple officer recruiters on here saying that if you decline an offer to go to OCS, the chances of getting reaccepted are extremely low, and you'll need a great excuse for why you declined it. I don't think saying "I applied for something I didn't want to do" would count for that, so I'd be real careful about deciding not to join if you get NFO if you still have a desire to be in the navy. Could be wrong but that's what I've read here

Fifrein

Still Learning
I think I've seen a couple officer recruiters on here saying that if you decline an offer to go to OCS, the chances of getting reaccepted are extremely low, and you'll need a great excuse for why you declined it. I don't think saying "I applied for something I didn't want to do" would count for that, so I'd be real careful about deciding not to join if you get NFO if you still have a desire to be in the navy. Could be wrong but that's what I've read here

Well, a quick chat with my OR told me there’s a relatively high chance of getting picked for pilot based on the current needs of the navy, so who knows? Might get lucky and never have to worry about that. Knock on Wood for that.

Judge Q

Judging You
My brother's in the graduating class so I caught the Navy press release back in November when they announced the year's Academy service selection last November,

Realizes too late to edit I am an inadvertent master of redundancy.

In case anyone was wondering...USNA service selection is announced in November.

andrewt

If y'all do get selected NFO, you can console yourselves that you can try to to cross over later as a transvesFO (God I love that term), this thread talks about it.

I get it though, OR wanted me to put NFO down in number two and I told her I wasn't cool with it. If I don't select, I can try again. I've got time.

Then again, if hypothetically it were down to being a jet NFO or a pilot in some platform I didnt care for, NFO would probably be the sweeter gig eh?

dcall426

Took the ASTB yesterday and got a 68 8/8/8. Applying to the July board for SNA. Some other stats:

GPA: 2.95
Degree: Biomedical Engineering

Is it sure that the ASTB is weighed more than the GPA? I'm only worried of my GPA bringing me down.

Jamie_D

Took the ASTB yesterday and got a 68 8/8/8. Applying to the July board for SNA. Some other stats:

GPA: 2.95
Degree: Biomedical Engineering

Is it sure that the ASTB is weighed more than the GPA? I'm only worried of my GPA bringing me down.
You'll be fine. I had a 57 7/7/8 and a 3.04 gpa and got selected for SNA. I've been told the engineering degree helps.

Jamie_D

Were you selected ahead of the board then? Or do some people find out soon after the submit deadline?
I was selected ahead of the board. There was an early select board for those who qualified with scores and could ship out fast. That's the only reason some of us got Pro Rec Y already. You should find out sometime within a week after the board date of 23 May for your Pro Rec (rough estimate of how long you could wait to hear back, not definite).

dcall426

I was selected ahead of the board. There was an early select board for those who qualified with scores and could ship out fast. That's the only reason some of us got Pro Rec Y already. You should find out sometime within a week after the board date of 23 May for your Pro Rec (rough estimate of how long you could wait to hear back, not definite).

Okay makes sense! I'm actually applying for the July board so that is why I was wondering. I might try to get selected ahead of the July board then if my stats are competitive enough.

jack-o

pilot
I have a few buds hoping to get picked up this board so i just wanted to drop in and say good luck to everyone. I know the weeks of waiting for the "yes call" are awful. Dont get too wrapped up in scores and probability of selection, its not worth your time and obviously nothing is guaranteed. There were a few on my board back in '15 with OARs in the 70s who didn't get picked up for whatever reason. Lastly, NFO to Pilot selection was 5 or 6 people this fiscal year, transitioning is rare. Best of luck and have fun at OCS.

Brandon C

It may be different since several people already got accepted last month but some applicants for the February board started hearing their results roughly 10 days before the board date.