• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 May 18 Pilot/NFO Selection Board

Fifrein

Still Learning
Checking in! 59/8/8/8, 3.05 GPA

I wish I'd seen this thread before applying! I let my OR talk me into putting both SNA and SNFO on my sheet, when I have no intention of sitting in the back of a plane someone else is flying. Ah well, the world moves forward, nothing I can do now but wait and hope.

Seniuram

Have you guys ever considered that we might be having a little disadvantage because the academy graduates get the selections before us OCS guys? Since is May and im guessing they're graduated by now? Or I could be wrong and that doesn't factor into our chances of selection.
No, they don’t go to OCS. So there’s no overlap until flight school.

MadHatter

pilot
But assuming theres obviously a limited amount of pilot slot to be filled in the Navy, if the academy graduates fill those spots, wouldn't that effect our chances?

There's no way to tell, plus I doubt there's enough grads to fill all the Navy's needs. All military aviation is hurting for pilots from my understanding. Shouldn't be a factor. Kit is submitted, just pray here and improve where one can if not selected.

Seniuram

But assuming theres obviously a limited amount of pilot slot to be filled in the Navy, if the academy graduates fill those spots, wouldn't that effect our chances?
I don’t think so, but maybe. I remember going down the AW rabbit hole and was super deep in threads and found one from 2011 or something saying that most Naval Academy guys go there to captain ships not fly planes. The airplane guys go to the AF academy lol Someone else said it, I didn’t. But like @SalukiDawg2017 said. Don’t worry about things yuh can’t change. At this point everything is a done deal for this board until selection date.

I don’t think so, but maybe. I remember going down the AW rabbit hole and was super deep in threads and found one from 2011 or something saying that most Naval Academy guys go there to captain ships not fly planes. The airplane guys go to the AF academy lol Someone else said it, I didn’t. But like @SalukiDawg2017 said. Don’t worry about things yuh can’t change. At this point everything is a done deal for this board until selection date.
Cool, thanks for the info.
Do you know if they still let you know if you didn't get selected or only notify you that you did?

Fifrein

Still Learning
So, out of curiosity, is this thread where all the info for the sample came from? if so, I would like to be added to it.

Judge Q

Judging You

My brother's in the graduating class so I caught the Navy press release back in November when they announced the year's Academy service selection last November, I dug it up just so you could see copied from that it was:

SWO - 260
Submarines - 136
SEAL - 34
EOD - 15
Navy Pilot -233
Navy NFO -67
Medical - 12
Supply - 10
CEC - 4
Intel - 6
CW - 17
IP - 4
AMDO - 1
Navy total: 799

USMC Ground - 183
USMC Pilot - 67
USMC NFO - 1
USMC Total: 251

I honestly have no idea how standard or not that is but there you have this year at least. Me personally, I wouldn't worry about the Academy or NROTC crowd when I'm putting together my OCS app, I have no idea what difference it makes but it's beyond our control.

Jamie_D

Ultimately, even though we're in an "auto-select" period, I wouldn't count on anything until you have a Pro-Rec Y and your FINSEL in your hands. I think there's a danger of getting carried away with this auto-select thing. Count on your packet going to the board even if your calculator score is 95, because nothing is guaranteed until it is, right? Get your scores up, get a LOR or two, and engage your recruiter. For most of us, repairing a GPA is very difficult/expensive/time consuming, so focus your efforts where you can.

Also I fixed some of the charts and averages on the spreadsheet that weren't showing up. Here's a link to the sheet for those too lazy to look back a page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S2YsEO8Y3FWTF9T0ZefBpV78bDdqFfyWf-1vPqw-I_Y/edit?usp=sharing

For those of you who don't want to go back through the pages, here is the shared spreadsheet that is updated with everyone's data and who got selected. If you are new, feel free to add yourself.

jnaylor

Checking in! 59/8/8/8, 3.05 GPA

I wish I'd seen this thread before applying! I let my OR talk me into putting both SNA and SNFO on my sheet, when I have no intention of sitting in the back of a plane someone else is flying. Ah well, the world moves forward, nothing I can do now but wait and hope.

Same boat man. I put both down before I got to this website and learned that I shouldn’t. Like you said though; nothing we can do about it. Fingers crossed!

Fifrein

Still Learning
You can always deny and re-board IIRC.

I've read elsewhere on the forums that that's a terrible idea, on the lines of denying a job offer and then asking for that job they offered you 6 weeks later. But, we shall see!

As for the spreadsheet, I found it on page 2 and added myself. Thanks for that!

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
I've read elsewhere on the forums that that's a terrible idea, on the lines of denying a job offer and then asking for that job they offered you 6 weeks later. But, we shall see!

I guess it does look iffy with the same board. But better to try reapplying as SNA only rather than taking a long ass commitment in a designator you're not interested in.