• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Speaking for myself, and possibly a lot of the other civilians on this thread, were trying to gauge what is considered "in shape" for OCS as well as the Navy in general because, after all, we are civilians. The questions are just to better design a training routine leading up to OCS. Not stressing or "nuking" over it, just designing a measuring stick.

I know it's a test of will and mental integrity as much as it is a physical ordeal (and there's not much that can prepare you to the real thing), so by preparing as we are for the physical aspect it's just one less thing to stress about when(if) we get there.

On the flip side, thanks for the solid advice. Good form, pay attention, don't be stupid. Roger that ;)

Fair enough, I suppose it's easy enough to downplay it after you've been through it and kind of see the method behind the madness, so to say.

To give you a measuring stick, I think I did something like 85 sit-ups, 50 pushups, and ran a 12 min 1.5 mile right before I left (so I clearly wasn't in the best of shape). On the IST I did 91/54/11:30, and that was maybe slightly below average for males in my class. Were there points during OCS when I was getting beat, doing RLP, etc. where I was near my limits physically? Absolutely, but at the same time if you remember why you're there, and you're 100% confident that it's what you want, then you will be able to push through.

The fact that you guys are on here and so focused on preparing properly will definitely be noticeable when you get to OCS, because a lot of people are not prepared, whether that's physically, knowledge-wise, mentally, etc. (which really surprised me).

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
Fair enough, I suppose it's easy enough to downplay it after you've been through it and kind of see the method behind the madness, so to say.

To give you a measuring stick, I think I did something like 85 sit-ups, 50 pushups, and ran a 12 min 1.5 mile right before I left (so I clearly wasn't in the best of shape). On the IST I did 91/54/11:30, and that was maybe slightly below average for males in my class. Were there points during OCS when I was getting beat, doing RLP, etc. where I was near my limits physically? Absolutely, but at the same time if you remember why you're there, and you're 100% confident that it's what you want, then you will be able to push through.

The fact that you guys are on here and so focused on preparing properly will definitely be noticeable when you get to OCS, because a lot of people are not prepared, whether that's physically, knowledge-wise, mentally, etc. (which really surprised me).

All good to know. I know it's tough to explain to people that have yet to climb that mountain. It sounds like most of us are on par at least. It seems like we might have a pretty good group from this forum that all want it and are making it a priority.

Welsham

The Feb board last year had results by now.... not that i'm jealous or anything (ok, only a lot jealous). These next few days/weeks are gonna suck just looking at the phone waiting for the call hah
Yup... I sit on the site all day at work waiting for other people to find out and waiting for my OR to call..

Nicholas Ladolcetta

This is what I'm hoping for man. Looking at everyone else's stats here I seem to be the runt of the group. I'm hoping that it's because I'm amongst the best of the best on this site and the other applicants not on this forum are a bunch of window lickers.

bmi11er

PRO REC Y SNA
This is what I'm hoping for man. Looking at everyone else's stats here I seem to be the runt of the group. I'm hoping that it's because I'm amongst the best of the best on this site and the other applicants not on this forum are a bunch of window lickers.

I think you're right. When the stats come out for the selection percentage of every board there is always a significant higher number of applicants than people who are posting on these forums. And I definitely think the people who utilize these forums have higher stats just cause of all the resources available here on Air Warriors for things like the ASTB, motivational statement, etc.

So yeah I wouldn't get discouraged, I've seen people with similar stats to yours get picked up in previous boards. And especially since they are apparently low on SNA/NFO's in OCS right now, I'm staying optimistic the selection rate for this board will be high.

TheFlyingViking

I think you're right. When the stats come out for the selection percentage of every board there is always a significant higher number of applicants than people who are posting on these forums. And I definitely think the people who utilize these forums have higher stats just cause of all the resources available here on Air Warriors for things like the ASTB, motivational statement, etc.

So yeah I wouldn't get discouraged, I've seen people with similar stats to yours get picked up in previous boards. And especially since they are apparently low on SNA/NFO's in OCS right now, I'm staying optimistic the selection rate for this board will be high.
Definitely, my GPA is trash and positivity and working out is all I have to hold on to right now haha!!

We all gotta keep a great positive attitude so (hopefully) when we get called, we can go into the fray with a great frame of mind.

LcTex

Lockheed lineage

My thoughts exactly hahaha

Eagleone

Its kind of weird seeing everyone hear talk about waiting to hear back when my OR called me yesterday with my results. So I am kind of curious on how that happened.

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
Its kind of weird seeing everyone hear talk about waiting to hear back when my OR called me yesterday with my results. So I am kind of curious on how that happened.

Hmmm....your prorec for the 6 Feb board came through already?

bmi11er

PRO REC Y SNA

OK, you seriously can't just leave it at that... we need the details! Pro-rec Y or N? SNA or NFO (or both)? What region/state of the country are you located in?