• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

TheFlyingViking

Let's be real. When is the last PRT you have seen someone do legit push-up/ sit-ups in a Fleet PRT. But I'm not here so bicker about stupid shit.

Flying Viking, a friend of mine went through OCS about 6 months ago. The PRT and physical fitness is a very real concern up at OCS. When my friend was there, more people were on hold for physical readiness than actually going through with a class.
Practice the push ups like the instruction say. My friend said to expect to hold the push up position even if you have reached failure and there is time remaining. As for the sit ups, practice those putting your back flat on the deck and coming all the way up (that is the way my friends class was required to do it).
Despite the hate received because I am an AW, I promise you that a person who can score and outstanding doing legit push-ups will be few and far between.
I can also tell you from my time in Pensacola, when you go to API and do the PRT you will have a partner who holds their first under your chest and you must touch it in order to count. But what do I know, my friend just finished API two weeks ago and I was stationed with a handful of the API instructors.
I was getting a perfect score on my PRT...UNTIL I learned how to do proper form. XD now I will be hitting it till I quit.

As for stats:

Male/23
B.S. Business Admin
2.57 GPA

OAR: 52
6/7/6

LOR: 1 O-4, 2 Former Employers
President of Men's society (2 years)

Welsham

I have a strong feeling were all going to get our asses handed to us on more than one occasion with any aspect of PRT, then we'll eventually learn.....maybe...

AJ18

Can all Prior and AD please post stats? Good way to pass time and give each other some pointers.

Male/28/ AT1 (AW/SW/MTS)
Applying for NFO/Pilot/AMDO (Ultimate goal "Naval Officer")
OAR 50/5/6/7
A.S. In Aeronautics (gpa 3.0)
B.S. In Aeronautics with a Minor in Management (current gpa 3.18)
PRT excellent
Evals MP/EP/EP/P/EP(3of30)
Awards NAMx2, MOVSM
Interviews 2 CAPT (1310/ CO), 2 CDR (1320/ COs) all 10's
JSOQx2; JSOYx1
7 LORs; 1 CAPT, 4 CDR, 1 LT, 1 Congressman

27/E-6 USAF...E-7 select
SNA/Custodial Engineer
OAR 38 4/7/4 <-Made sense to me->B.S. Aerospace Engineering (gpa 3.75)
Tabled SNA 28Nov16 Board
PT....I can do those things...
Evals (or EPR's in the Air "Farce") straight 5's out of 5's
Awards....I've seen some sh!T man
LORs....none...Letters of recommendations....a few
Hobbies: I fly model airplanes and am a lvl 42 Brigadier General on the original Call of Duty...don't like to pull rank but....welcome to the thunder dome!

Only blemish in my package...giggity....is the OAR. If RUFiO and Navyrec say what they mean.....I may have a chance!!

and last but not least....a lot of you are talking about PT or PRT (whatever you call it) I believe that within the first few days of OTS (or OCS...whatever) is the flight physicals. This is where dreams go to die. I would worry about this rather than getting those push-ups and ankle lifts down.

Good luck fella's ;)

Love,

The Salty Airman....haha hopefully I do get selected because then I can say "Love, the salty...." ahhh you get it haha

P.S. Sense of humor mandatory....along with moral and thick skin ;) stay thirsty

TheFlyingViking

I have a strong feeling were all going to get our asses handed to us on more than one occasion with any aspect of PRT, then we'll eventually learn.....maybe...
I think everyone on here is taking the PRT seriously, I've heard others show up to OCS without any physical prep...I hope that's not true

Bravo Kilo

Out of curiosity for you guys posting your airframe preferences, are you considering where you might get stationed afterwards?

I want to go fighters because that's what I'm a F-15 guy from the AF, but on the other hand the prospect of getting stationed in San Diego with Helicopters screams good QOL and puts me close to home (LA).

Can all Prior and AD please post stats? Good way to pass time and give each other some pointers.

Male/28/ AT1 (AW/SW/MTS)
Applying for NFO/Pilot/AMDO (Ultimate goal "Naval Officer")
OAR 50/5/6/7
A.S. In Aeronautics (gpa 3.0)
B.S. In Aeronautics with a Minor in Management (current gpa 3.18)
PRT excellent
Evals MP/EP/EP/P/EP(3of30)
Awards NAMx2, MOVSM
Interviews 2 CAPT (1310/ CO), 2 CDR (1320/ COs) all 10's
JSOQx2; JSOYx1
7 LORs; 1 CAPT, 4 CDR, 1 LT, 1 Congressman

I posted mine on page 1, but here it is again:

I'll be checking in for this board also for both SNA and SNFO

ASTB-E: 57 6/6/5 (first time)
Degree: Computer Science BS
GPA: 2.99
Prior service Air Force 4.7 years, E-5/SSgt, perfect evals
Selected for and did 2.5 Years AFROTC (disenrolled under a Humanitarian release)
Various decorations/awards from the military, AFROTC, and my university

My GPA/ASTB scores are OK but far from perfect. My hope is that they truly do evaluate the whole person rather than look at just numbers. I used to live and breathe radar, EW, and any other avionics you can think of as a Strike Eagle technician extraordinaire, so I'm hoping that's a plus and shows that I'll be receptive to training.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Y'all are nuking this beyond belief. Before every PFA they will demonstrate the proper form they expect. If you do it wrong, they will give you at least one warning, maybe two, to correct your form before they start not counting them (and I never saw a DI or RDC take 10 or 20 reps off, unless that has changed in the two months since I've been there). No, you don't need to hold a plank for the entire two minutes, push as hard as you can and until failure, and after your knees or chest hits the deck you are done.

Definitely practice good form, and definitely do not go in barely hitting the minimums, but unless your form is horrible or you're someone who attracts a lot of attention from the DIs/RDCs then you will be fine. If they give you a correction, scream Aye Aye <whomever>, make the correction, and they will leave you alone.

Definitely pay attention to the details, but if you're stressing out about stuff as small as this you're going to lose your minds at OCS.

Bravo Kilo

I think everyone on here is taking the PRT seriously, I've heard others show up to OCS without any physical prep...I hope that's not true
I showed up to AF basic without really any prep because I was 19 and dumb and new nothing about working out. Needless to say my TI hated me, and I felt horrible, and made life waaaay harder for myself than I needed to. Moral of the story: don't be me from 8 years ago and instead prepare as best you can.

TheFlyingViking

I showed up to AF basic without really any prep because I was 19 and dumb and new nothing about working out. Needless to say my TI hated me, and I felt horrible, and made life waaaay harder for myself than I needed to. Moral of the story: don't be me from 8 years ago and instead prepare as best you can.
I did way dumber things when I was that age!! No worries mate XD

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
Y'all are nuking this beyond belief. Before every PFA they will demonstrate the proper form they expect. If you do it wrong, they will give you at least one warning, maybe two, to correct your form before they start not counting them (and I never saw a DI or RDC take 10 or 20 reps off, unless that has changed in the two months since I've been there). No, you don't need to hold a plank for the entire two minutes, push as hard as you can and until failure, and after your knees or chest hits the deck you are done.

Definitely practice good form, and definitely do not go in barely hitting the minimums, but unless your form is horrible or you're someone who attracts a lot of attention from the DIs/RDCs then you will be fine. If they give you a correction, scream Aye Aye <whomever>, make the correction, and they will leave you alone.

Definitely pay attention to the details, but if you're stressing out about stuff as small as this you're going to lose your minds at OCS.

Speaking for myself, and possibly a lot of the other civilians on this thread, were trying to gauge what is considered "in shape" for OCS as well as the Navy in general because, after all, we are civilians. The questions are just to better design a training routine leading up to OCS. Not stressing or "nuking" over it, just designing a measuring stick.

I know it's a test of will and mental integrity as much as it is a physical ordeal (and there's not much that can prepare you to the real thing), so by preparing as we are for the physical aspect it's just one less thing to stress about when(if) we get there.

On the flip side, thanks for the solid advice. Good form, pay attention, don't be stupid. Roger that ;)

Last edited:

msv123

MVaughn123
Looks like my kit didnt make it in in time for this board so I'll be put in for the next board. Good luck y'all.