• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

smith1787

Future SNFO
Ok, here's my biggest question, What is the correct form for navy push-ups and sit-ups? I've read that you can only rest in the up position for push-ups, does that include arching your back here and there to help ease weight off your chest and arms or do you have to hold a plank position?

For sit-ups, do your WHOLE shoulder blades have to hit the deck or just the bottom tips? If you have to go all the way down, that definitely affects how much you can do in 2 min.

According to Navy regulations, pushup rest is only in the up position no arching the back so basically a plank, no hands can be removed from the deck. Situps any part of the shoulder blade must touch the deck, and you must touch ANY part of your leg with your elbows for it to count. Granted at OCS they will probably want better form then the head bob, half crunch.

TheFlyingViking

According to Navy regulations, pushup rest is only in the up position no arching the back so basically a plank, no hands can be removed from the deck. Situps any part of the shoulder blade must touch the deck, and you must touch ANY part of your leg with your elbows for it to count. Granted at OCS they will probably want better form then the head bob, half crunch.
Perfect!! Just what I wanted to know! Now I can (lower) my chances of getting roasted by the DI's on the IST. XD XD

Ok, here's my biggest question, What is the correct form for navy push-ups and sit-ups? I've read that you can only rest in the up position for push-ups, does that include arching your back here and there to help ease weight off your chest and arms or do you have to hold a plank position?

For sit-ups, do your WHOLE shoulder blades have to hit the deck or just the bottom tips? If you have to go all the way down, that definitely affects how much you can do in 2 min.
no you cant arch your back or take your hands off the deck. and for situps its any part of the shoulder touching the deck, and on the way up your elbow just has to touch any part of your thigh. yall are nuking this way too much. its a navy pfa... it isn't that hard.

Nicholas Ladolcetta

no you cant arch your back or take your hands off the deck. and for situps its any part of the shoulder touching the deck, and on the way up your elbow just has to touch any part of your thigh. yall are nuking this way too much. its a navy pfa... it isn't that hard.

That's great for someone who has been in the Navy for four years....

And while yes I was also thinking it isn't that big of a deal, and will be covered probably within the first hour or so of the first PT session at OCS many of these guys are civilians who have no familiarity with these regs and want to get to OCS already aware of what is expected of them.

Besides, I wouldn't really call...what was it....2 questions? nuking something.

TheFlyingViking

That's great for someone who has been in the Navy for four years....

And while yes I was also thinking it isn't that big of a deal, and will be covered probably within the first hour or so of the first PT session at OCS many of these guys are civilians who have no familiarity with these regs and want to get to OCS already aware of what is expected of them.

Besides, I wouldn't really call...what was it....2 questions? nuking something.
Hey, I would rather get razzed online on this forum than have the DI disqualify my PRT over bad form! Thanks for all the help!!

Triumph4life

As a ACFL in the Navy I can tell you, all PRT's in the Fleet are a joke. As far as pushups, the instruction says that you can not rest with your butt in the air.... in the fleet you see it every cycle. I can tell you for a fact that putting your butt in the air at OCS will not fly. Another thing to keep in mind, if you are maxing out the push ups you are probably not doing it right. Not a single AWR in my command maxes out the push ups and we do it according to the instruction. You need to focus on perfect reps. Arms breaking the 90 and locked out at the top. As far as the sit ups. Start practicing with putting your entire back on the deck, not just your shoulder blades, no sense in giving anyone a reason to question your reps. I average well over 100 doing it while placing my entire back on the ground.

Squirtle

The Sat-Medium requirements aren't too bad, but the Excellent-Low numbers are up there. I was an athlete throughout high school and for a few years in college, I don't recall ever doing 70 pushups in a row or 80 sit ups at once.

Sure, I've done hundreds throughout the day plenty of times, but consecutive? Ya'll are some beasts.

Last edited:

TheFlyingViking

As a ACFL in the Navy I can tell you, all PRT's in the Fleet are a joke. As far as pushups, the instruction says that you can not rest with your butt in the air.... in the fleet you see it every cycle. I can tell you for a fact that putting your butt in the air at OCS will not fly. Another thing to keep in mind, if you are maxing out the push ups you are probably not doing it right. Not a single AWR in my command maxes out the push ups and we do it according to the instruction. You need to focus on perfect reps. Arms breaking the 90 and locked out at the top. As far as the sit ups. Start practicing with putting your entire back on the deck, not just your shoulder blades, no sense in giving anyone a reason to question your reps. I average well over 100 doing it while placing my entire back on the ground.
Thanks for setting the standard!

Gibsonrick83

So in the spirit of getting to know each other. Without getting your hopes up. What would be your aircraft wishlist if we all get that far?

Let's go with top three airframes.

Mine would be:
1. F/a-18 or whatever fast mover we got going on at that time
2. C-130s
3. H-60s. Big change on that one I know but I find helicopters to be pretty badass also
Great choices! I'll be happy with whatever should I get in, but I suppose I'd choose:

1. MH-60 Seahawk
2. EA-18G Growler
3. F/A-18F Super Hornet

Dewse5150

Typical flight attendant, says the entire fleets prt is a joke except for his smh.

Los_23

Can all Prior and AD please post stats? Good way to pass time and give each other some pointers.

Male/28/ AT1 (AW/SW/MTS)
Applying for NFO/Pilot/AMDO (Ultimate goal "Naval Officer")
OAR 50/5/6/7
A.S. In Aeronautics (gpa 3.0)
B.S. In Aeronautics with a Minor in Management (current gpa 3.18)
PRT excellent
Evals MP/EP/EP/P/EP(3of30)
Awards NAMx2, MOVSM
Interviews 2 CAPT (1310/ CO), 2 CDR (1320/ COs) all 10's
JSOQx2; JSOYx1
7 LORs; 1 CAPT, 4 CDR, 1 LT, 1 Congressman

Nicholas Ladolcetta

Can all Prior and AD please post stats? Good way to pass time and give each other some pointers.

Male/28/ AT1 (AW/SW/MTS)
Applying for NFO/Pilot/AMDO (Ultimate goal "Naval Officer")
OAR 50/5/6/7
A.S. In Aeronautics (gpa 3.0)
B.S. In Aeronautics with a Minor in Management (current gpa 3.18)
PRT excellent
Evals MP/EP/EP/P/EP(3of30)
Awards NAMx2, MOVSM
Interviews 2 CAPT (1310/ CO), 2 CDR (1320/ COs) all 10's
JSOQx2; JSOYx1
7 LORs; 1 CAPT, 4 CDR, 1 LT, 1 Congressman

Male/25/SGT (Army-Conditional Release signed)
Applying for: Naval Aviator
ASTB: 52 5/6/5
Education: B.S. in Criminal Justice and Psychology (double major), in progress M.A. in Forensic Psychology
GPA: 2.81
APFT score: 300 (max score on the Army PT test)
Awards: ARCOM, AAM with cluster, graduated honors at Basic Army Leadership school. About to get my jump wings!!!!!!!!
LORs: 1 Army major, 2 past employers, 1 Army 1SG

Triumph4life

Typical flight attendant, says the entire fleets prt is a joke except for his smh.
Let's be real. When is the last PRT you have seen someone do legit push-up/ sit-ups in a Fleet PRT. But I'm not here so bicker about stupid shit.

Flying Viking, a friend of mine went through OCS about 6 months ago. The PRT and physical fitness is a very real concern up at OCS. When my friend was there, more people were on hold for physical readiness than actually going through with a class.
Practice the push ups like the instruction say. My friend said to expect to hold the push up position even if you have reached failure and there is time remaining. As for the sit ups, practice those putting your back flat on the deck and coming all the way up (that is the way my friends class was required to do it).
Despite the hate received because I am an AW, I promise you that a person who can score and outstanding doing legit push-ups will be few and far between.
I can also tell you from my time in Pensacola, when you go to API and do the PRT you will have a partner who holds their first under your chest and you must touch it in order to count. But what do I know, my friend just finished API two weeks ago and I was stationed with a handful of the API instructors.

Last edited: