• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 JAN 17 Pilot/NFO Board

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
So in the spirit of getting to know each other. Without getting your hopes up. What would be your aircraft wishlist if we all get that far?

Let's go with top three airframes.

Mine would be:
1. F/a-18 or whatever fast mover we got going on at that time
2. C-130s
3. H-60s. Big change on that one I know but I find helicopters to be pretty badass also

The active component of the Navy doesn't fly C-130s, only the reserve does.

Your choices will be: Strike (F/A-18C, F/A-18E/F, E/A-18G, and F-35C ...eventually); E-2/C-2; Maritime (P-3, EP-3, P-8); MH-60R/S; and E-6

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
So in the spirit of getting to know each other. Without getting your hopes up. What would be your aircraft wishlist if we all get that far?

Let's go with top three airframes.

Mine would be:
1. F/a-18 or whatever fast mover we got going on at that time
2. C-130s
3. H-60s. Big change on that one I know but I find helicopters to be pretty badass also

I'm going in with the "fighter" mindset as well (as an NFO), but my list is a little more sentimental. If all goes according to plan, my list is:

1: P-3 (if they're still filling for those)
2: (E)F/A-18
3: P-8

Competition breeds greatness so I'm gonna give it my all regardless, but I'll definitely be happy with whatever I earn, even if it's a "boring" airframe. Being a Naval officer and doing my job well are my main priorities. But if anyone gets a patrol plane slot out of API that they don't want and you want to switch, just let me know ;)

Nicholas Ladolcetta

The active component of the Navy doesn't fly C-130s, only the reserve does.

Your choices will be: Strike (F/A-18C, F/A-18E/F, E/A-18G, and F-35C ...eventually); E-2/C-2; Maritime (P-3, EP-3, P-8); MH-60R/S; and E-6

No I didn't know that. That's a little disappointing actually. Do you know when that was put into affect? I've read a decent amount of articles about the navy landing them on carriers that I figured they had a bigger part in naval aviation than it seems like they do now.

No ch-53?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
No I didn't know that. That's a little disappointing actually. Do you know when that was put into affect? I've read a decent amount of articles about the navy landing them on carriers that I figured they had a bigger part in naval aviation than it seems like they do now.

No ch-53?

Not sure exactly when, but the Navy landing them on a carrier never moved past a proof of concept phase.

No CH-53, but the Navy does fly MH-53s which perform minesweeping duties (I neglected to list it in my earlier post).

Squirtle

About a 10:00 1.5mile, 80-90 push-ups, 100 sit-ups. I definitely still have some work to do. You live in Seattle, msv?
Still have some work to do? Dude, you blow the graduation requirements out of the water.

I'm at like 51 push ups, 52 sit ups, and a 10:30 run. Exactly how in shape are you guys right now?

Nicholas Ladolcetta

Still have some work to do? Dude, you blow the graduation requirements out of the water.

I'm at like 51 push ups, 52 sit ups, and a 10:30 run. Exactly how in shape are you guys right now?

depends on how you define "in shape".......

But seriously physical fitness is the one thing I'm not worried about on the road to getting winged. I'm in a physically demanding Army MOS (job). If anyone here needs any tips on how to improve specifically for military physical fitness tests ask away. While I'm pretty confident the day to day PT is different from the Army's--different missions have different requirements--the PT test is pretty much the same thing.

LcTex

Lockheed lineage

Gotta shoot for the moon, my man. I'm trying to get my 1.5 mile down in the mid/low 9's. Been focusing on that exclusively.

I will say that everything I've read, heard, or seen has advised to show up to OCS in shape. It still won't be easy, but it definitely won't be as hard as it is for someone that arrived unconditioned. The physical nature causes a lot of people to throw in the towel pretty early from what I hear.

koliver

Best way to get an excellent or above is to get max on push-ups and sit-ups and then your run time won't matter as much. We called it max max relax in nrotc

koliver

Best way to get an excellent or above is to get max on push-ups and sit-ups and then your run time won't matter as much. We called it max max relax in nrotc

Nicholas Ladolcetta

Good advice for when you're in the fleet but I'd venture out and say while you're training to get through OCS and flight school you'd better give running your all.

Can't imagine failing out for any reason being a pleasant feeling...But I feel like failing out for something not flight related would be a much bigger kick in the balls than failing out for academic reasons or whatever.

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
Good advice for when you're in the fleet but I'd venture out and say while you're training to get through OCS and flight school you'd better give running your all.

Can't imagine failing out for any reason being a pleasant feeling...But I feel like failing out for something not flight related would be a much bigger kick in the balls than failing out for academic reasons or whatever.

I know you're not in the navy, but how does a standard PT test for the army usually go? PU/SU/Run? Any rest between exercises?

Nicholas Ladolcetta

-2 minute push-ups. You're allowed to spread your arms as wide or narrow as you want as long as they're parallel, no hands leave the surface, and your elbows form a 90 degree angle. You can rest by holding a pushup position but as soon as your chest touhes the ground you're done
-5-10 minute rest (there are regs on how long in between events but it usually ends up just being a matter of waiting for your turn in line)
- 2 minute sit-ups. You can rest in the sat up position only. Back touches the floor for 2 seconds and you're done.
-see above rest time
- 2 mile run. Self explanatory

Take all this with a grain of salt obviously.

LcTex

Lockheed lineage
-2 minute push-ups. You're allowed to spread your arms as wide or narrow as you want as long as they're parallel, no hands leave the surface, and your elbows form a 90 degree angle. You can rest by holding a pushup position but as soon as your chest touhes the ground you're done
-5-10 minute rest (there are regs on how long in between events but it usually ends up just being a matter of waiting for your turn in line)
- 2 minute sit-ups. You can rest in the sat up position only. Back touches the floor for 2 seconds and you're done.
-see above rest time
- 2 mile run. Self explanatory

Take all this with a grain of salt obviously.

Sweet. Much appreciated.

TheFlyingViking

Ok, here's my biggest question, What is the correct form for navy push-ups and sit-ups? I've read that you can only rest in the up position for push-ups, does that include arching your back here and there to help ease weight off your chest and arms or do you have to hold a plank position?

For sit-ups, do your WHOLE shoulder blades have to hit the deck or just the bottom tips? If you have to go all the way down, that definitely affects how much you can do in 2 min.